Chapala.com Webboard

More retirees interviews at Lakeside

lakeside7

I guess I can let the cat out of the bag. Last week we had CCTV America at our facility for an interview. It is suppose to air this week. The producer said she would let me know when. This is a Chinese news network with offices in Mexico city and Washington D. C. It is aired on the internet and you tube. Stay tuned.

I hope this is not considered hijacking this thread. If so I apologize.

Don't know any expats getting accepted into IMSS in the past yearl

Seguro Popular is free but most expats would not use it unless they had no other choice

Last week we went with Albert, the translator substituting for Veronica, to the IMSS office in Chapala and received our new IMSS cards for this year.

We asked him if there was any problem with foreigners residing in Mexico getting coverage. He hadn't heard of any, nor had the non-English speaking lady he asked at the LCS office. The only restrictions pertain to pre-existing conditions. Seguro Popular may have more liberal requirements.

I suggest that anyone with questions should address them to the IMSS representatives who come to LCS on Monday and Tuesday mornings (membership not required) rather than relying on information on a web board. People posting are relaying their own experiences, which may or may not be the whole story.

Gringal, I do not think these people are IMSS representatives , but "facilitators"

I suggest that anyone with questions should address them to the IMSS representatives who come to LCS on Monday and Tuesday mornings (membership not required) rather than relying on information on a web board. People posting are relaying their own experiences, which may or may not be the whole story.

Gringal, I do not think these people are IMSS representatives , but "facilitators"

My point was that getting information from other posters on the web is no way to get the most important information for your well being in Mexico.

A question such as "how many people do you know who got IMSS coverage this year" is not likely to get enough truthful answers to make a life decision upon.

This forum has thousands of members, but not many of them post at all, on any subject.

The people who are "facilitators" at the LCS offices do not pretend to be anything else, but at least one of them worked for IMSS for many years and should know better than most of us what's what.

If you speak excellent Spanish and go directly to the IMSS office in Chapala, you may get the desired information, file an application yourself and do whatever else is needed. I, for one, am not fluent enough to expect to understand the details of the program. Facilitators can make life much easier for a small fee. Albert spent time driving to the Chapala office, talking to the rep for us, answering her rapid fire questions and charged us the grand total of 200 pesos. Well worth it.

I wonder whether who ever is asking the questions about the unlikelihood of foreigners getting IMSS coverage is not telling the whole story of his or her experience with IMSS, or perhaps he or she depended on hearsay and didn't even try? When I first applied for coverage, I'd been hearing the same thing then, and ever since.

Whatever a person chooses to do in Mexico, whether it is about getting health coverage, making a will or buying property........things are different here in many ways and IMO, the wise path is seeking the best information available, even when (GASP) you have to pay for it.

If the information is of no interest to you just don't read it.

Exactly. There's been so much misinformation on the topic that it was about time somebody clarified it. Nobody has a gun to anyone's head forcing them to read posts of no interest to them. But...why anyone bothers to make such snide comments is beyond me. :017:

You are correct, MtnMama. These little fluff pieces are not the place to look for practical information. I would hope that anyone giving even a half-serious thought to becoming an expat will be reading more than these space fillers.

Judy King's excellent book is a must. It's realistic, factual, well written, and only about a year old. She has lived here more than two decades, is a reputable journalist and wonderful researcher who dots her i's and crosses her t's. This is a must for understanding insurances, immigration, monetary reality of true costs here and all the day to day before making a decision to move here.

The cost, if you think in dollars, will vary with the exchange rate variations. So, you will get ball park figures. When you apply at the Mexican Consulate in your home country, they will give you the exact figure at that time. Not surprisingly, it may differ a little from one consulate to another. Bienvenidos.

Archived