Chapala.com Webboard

Last Big Storm of Season

CHILLIN

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After packing up from a wonderful three month stay at the Lake, driving a waaay overloaded car back here to the beach (who knew that big new canary cage would waste quite so much space???)unloading, discovering I had no gas, no water pressure pump, a bum fridge, but a raging tummy problem in full "Suffer thru it, Big Mama" mode, THEN I got in hurricane preparedness mode......and now, grateful as I am, I want MORE than a stinkn' T shirt!!!

It's so easy to scoff after the fact, knowing that the storm caused no problems in the Chapala area. The government did the right thing by taking precautions. Is it possible to be grateful instead of smug?

Absolutely ..... especially when you consider what the less well-to-do folks went thru on the coast. Many people have no roofs

Filling your bath tub with water to flush your toilet is not going to save you in a hurricane. The best advice is to leave the area.

Trying to leave the area is a REALLY bad idea. Insane traffic jams with thousands of people trying to get out, running out of gas and no more gas at the Pemex, then being stranded somewhere on the road with no shelter, etc.

I grew up in tornado alley. Tornados and hurricanes do not require leaving the area (as do forest fires), and it cannot be predicted if a storm will change course suddenly. What is required is to be prepared, and install yourself in a safe place. Which it seems most people did.

And as for the rest of the scoffers (these are the people who will be banging on your door begging for food and water and shelter after a predicted disaster they scoffed at), you deserve to be blown away in the the next hurricane.

Relating the filling of the bathtub to the question of evacuation, or not, is beyond apples and oranges. Duh. :017:

If you're going to have a hurricane, what you do in the way of preparedness depends entirely on where you are. If you're on the coast and can leave, that might be a good plan. If all you're likely to get inland is power outages, filling the tub works.

Archived