Chapala.com Webboard

Last Big Storm of Season

CHILLIN

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 30 minutes ago I went into the kitchen and saw some water on the floor. Looked up and saw drips from the beams. We have a flat roof on that part of the house.

I climbed up onto the roof and saw 3 drains were plugged with debris causing water to back up. I couldn't clear a drainpipe as it must have been clogged somewhere underground so I had to break it open to release the water from the roof.

If you have a flat roof and start to see drips you could be experiencing the same issues. The rain hasn't been heavy but it's been relentless for more than 24 hours so be aware that lack of proper drainage on flat roofs could cause big problems once the big rain that is predicted shows up. While we've already have had close to 3 inches the prediction is for 3-5 more, if of course you can believe wunderground.com.

Now, back to watching last week's episode of Survivor while we still have power...

I'm no expert but I did some research: Using the information on the Weather Underground website (consistent with but more detailed than the National Hurricane Center website), the eye of the Hurricane Patricia is expected to pass directly west of Ajijic at about 10pm Friday night at a distance of about 75 miles, near Atenguillo. At that time it is expected to be a Category 3 hurricane with sustained wind speeds of about 120 mph. The radius of destructive hurricane force winds around the eye varies quite a bit, about 50 miles on average, but it could be several times that. According to the National Hurricane Center, winds in a Category 3 hurricanes can cause “major roof and siding damage. Many shallowly rooted trees will be snapped or uprooted and block numerous roads. Near-total power loss is expected with outages that could last from several days to weeks.”

Thanks for that info Tombo. One of the distinguishing features of Patricia seems to be that the area of highest category winds is tight around the center of the hurricane and relatively small. Let's hope that works in our favor also, as well as at the coast.

I'm astonished that we've kept power for so long into this. In San Antonio Tlay, we've had a 4 or 5 bobbles, but lights have come on again. ... So far. Knock on wood and all.

It hit just a very few miles north of La Manzanilla. I shudder to think what has happened there as it hit almost the same time as high tide and most of La Manz is pretty low.

The moisture from this thing is so strong it is causing flooding rains here in North Texas.

Eye is supposed to pass 75 miles west of you at a Category 3 level. I hope the mountains will provide a little shelter.

This was the best kind of huricane. Although it was powerful, it was fairly small,compact and fast moving and passed by here to the northwest quickly. I believe I read yesterday that the hurricane force winds only extended 10 miles beyoynd the eye wall.

Not much happened at all. Rain 3-5 inches. Winds 20-30 mph. Pretty much what I was reporting all day yesterday in spite of the naysayers determined to turn this into a major disaster for us. Relieved.

Well, yes the cat 4 hurricane thankfully passed us by. The reports for us all day were based on the tropical storm strength that was forecast. Even that is a gift, because knowing that a cat 4 would pass that close with no way to prepare or flee or know exactly what it meant for us.... pretty hard to take, speaking for myself.

It was fairly windy and rainy but we’ve had worse-higher winds, more rain, and lightening. No lightening with this hurricane. Not a drop of water where it shouldn’t be except my pool is overflowing. No wind damage. The electricity was only off for a few seconds.

I had cleaned out the gutter along my road and stocked up on supplies but it wasn’t necessary.

A light rain has started this morning.

A total of just over 4 inches of rain over 32 hours. We've had that much overnight before.

Parts of my fraccionamiento were asked to leave their homes but it wasn't necessary.

Archived