Chapala.com Webboard

Documentation for immigration in Chapala

jhark

I made the trip to Laredo with an appointment but it still took me about 5 hours because of some computer problem to verify the information and get my temporal visa. My question is this: Now that I am back in Chapala I have 30 days to register with the immigration here. What forms, pictures, and documentation do I need for them?

I know I can do that but this is a sharing board and I was asking for information since a number of people have been sharing their border experience and am trying to plan ahead for the next step. Maybe next time if you have nothing to contribute except the obvious you won't waste your time.

If you ask at INM, then tell us on this board, we will all have the very latest information without any time being wasted. Don‘t you think. After all, we know how quickly things can change.

I made the trip to Laredo with an appointment but it still took me about 5 hours because of some computer problem to verify the information and get my temporal visa. My question is this: Now that I am back in Chapala I have 30 days to register with the immigration here. What forms, pictures, and documentation do I need for them?

You go to the "Tramites" section on the INM website [ https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/estancia.html ] and select in the first box "Canjear o reponer documento migratorio". Then select in the second box "Canje de FMM por tarjeta de visitante or residente". Fill out the remaining data and print out the form. Take this form to the local INM office. You turn in your "canje" FMM card and will be given a form with your NUT number if you had a preapproved RT 6 month visa in your passport. Take in a proof of address and a copy. Take your passport with copies of the front cover, main page and your 6 month visa attached at the Mexican Consulate. They will give you a form to take to any bank and you pay the $1124 peso processing fee. You bring back the receipt and make copies for yourself. The form they give you is your temporary immigration document and has no expiration date so use this while you are being processed until you have your RT visa/card in hand, not the 30 days from when you recieved the FMM canje card. Also the form has your user ID and password to check your processing on line at the website printed on the form. If you want drop by the INM office and ask : How it is coming along? and get an update in person all the better as sometimes they do not update that website or fail to e-mail you when wanting you for finger printing etc.

They will circle on a form or print at the bottom what else they want you to bring in [formato básico] and e-mail you if they forgot something. The next visit if they don´t require something else before approving your RT visa/card that they will circle on the form they give you will require you to bring in 3 photos and come in for finger printing and a payment of $3519 pesos for the RT card for 1 year, as they require you on it for 1 year before allowing you to renew it for 1 to 3 years more. Here in San Luis Potosí at the finger printing and photos and payment stage they will have the RT visa/card ready for pickup in 3 or 4 working days.

My office can help you so that it will be easy and fast.

My office can help you so that it will be easy and fast.

I am one more of many who can confirm that Spencer's office will, indeed, get it done quickly and smoothly. I contacted his office needing expedited processing (if possible) because of a family situation. Spencer got right on it and it was quick and easy. He and his staff know what they are doing.

Recent experience confirms what Sr. Dobbs suggests. There was a period when that INM office was really screwed up and unpredictable. I also believe there was a time when certain lawyers and facilitators were disliked by staff members. Things got shuffled, misfiled etc. But now they are very helpful, professional, and seem to be enjoying the jobs they were hired for. The two ladies both speak excellent English, I get the feeling that the young man is still in training. They have made great efforts to make the process easy and painless, it seems rather pointless to hire someone to help with something so simple.

Remember that the photos cannot be the "instant" type. They have to be on a white background - so do not wear a white shirt.

Is the signed lease on a house proof of address, or will I need receipts for utilities?

If you are going to be here a while, you can take your lease/util bills into the Chapala building, second floor, pay (I think) 50 peso and obtain a certificate of residency. It is a thing of beauty, shiny stamps, big flourishing signature from an important person. If you want details, I will look them up. I wasn't paying much attention - too busy admiring the murals. I don't know if you even need this, but proof of residency comes up often over the years.

...it seems rather pointless to hire someone to help with something so simple.

It all depends on how many times you have been a victim of the, "Let's screw with the gringo" game and what the fees for assistance amount to.

I would really like to know what the fees are to facilitate common visas and such. I think that information would produce a lot more business than assuming what the costs are.

Again, here's another Sr. Dobbs suggestion, with his many, many years conducting business in this country. Prices for custom work are not carved in stone, there is always plenty of room for a PITA tax - if a customer acts like the type who will scream and wriggle the whole way through, taking up a lot more of your time and patience, then the price goes up accordingly. Sometimes way up.

Also, when it comes to traffic laws at least, it doesn't matter what your attitude is when facing the wall of corruption which exists in Guadalajara. Thank goodness the Chapala and Ajijic have seemed to keep this very much under control. Much smaller I guess.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/guadalajara/46939-more-than-half-of-metro-area-s-traffic-cops-could-lose-their-jobs

Archived