Chapala.com Webboard

roaming calls with Telcel

protekme

I have a few questions regarding calls on my Telcel Amigo phone.

I've asked if there was roaming fees if I used my local SIM card in another State within that State. I explained exactly what I wanted to do: use my phone in another State. I asked if I should buy the card here or there: she said it did not matter. "No hay diferencia". Well, it seems that it makes a difference.

I have made three calls:

One local call - from cell to land line (2 minutes) -

Two calls from another State to that same State for a total of 3 minutes.

Now, I only have $47.14 left out of my $200. That would be an average of $50 a call. That sounds like roaming fees to me.

So I guess, next time, I better buy a SIM card from the place I'm going to. But I usually hardly use the phone there, but I like to have it.

I believed roaming fees were cancelled in Mexico.

Is it possible that I am paying for incoming calls?

Gosh, something seems very wrong there. That is way too much.

Could you be charged for data or something? If I were you, especially if you kind of sort of speak Spanish is to go to the Telcel owned outlet at the Laguna Mall across from Wall*Mart. They can, should they have the time, determine exactly where all those funds went.

Good luck.

Oh the last time it happened to me, I went to the US and forgot to turn my Data roaming off and when I wasn't close to WiFi and I tried looking something up I forgot to turn my data roaming switch off on my iPhone. So it used a foreign cell service to provide me data. It was all my fault. This time when I went to the US and Canada, my data roaming switch was off and I had no surprises.

Again, good luck. I hope you can figure out where the funds went.

Thank you for your answers.

Last year, I bought a SIM card in the Mexican State I was visiiting, and I was asked for my address. which I gave as Chapala. Also, after three calls I was cut off--no more minutes. I figured I had made a mistake and should have given the addesss I was stayging at. But then, the girl here said there was no roaming. It does not make sense.

I only have a simple Amigo phone, no fancy online or anything else that I play with. My three calls were to non cell phones. I believe it is roaming, but if you guys say that it's not then, I will inquire for sure.

Thanks Sioux. I believe it. I'll have to find out what happened to make my three short calls eat up my time.

I like the fact that I can check immediately after my call how long it took, and I wonder why it's so complicated to find out how much our calls cost per minute. When I asked the girl, the answer was always it depends. I realize that, but can't they tell us: from cell to cell it costs so much and from cell to land line it costs so much. But I guess, that would be too much of a straight answer.

I checked the site Mostlylost suggested and they say 1.42 centavos per second: no other explanation.

Umff!! I'm not to savvy for those things. It has to be simple and clear.

Archived