Chapala.com Webboard

Guad Reporter Letter To Editor

desertdave

Whether you believe in or have faith in the Virgen de Zapopan or the Virgen de Guadalupe is beside the point,they are venerated here by many if not most Mexicans,that's why I found the letter denigrating them insulting,but as a previous poster pointed out that fish wrap isn't read by many Mexicans so it's no big deal.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the hope of every newspaper editor that entertaining, stupid, racist, dramatic, argumentative and/or perspicacious letters arrive so they have something interesting to print. All newspapers rely on readers, who will then discover the businesses that advertise, which will in turn continue to take ads, thereby keeping the paper afloat. There is no difference between The New York Times, der Spiegel, or The Guadalajara Reporter when it comes to this. I would worry only if they start writing the letters themselves.

Any fuss should be limited to the letter itself and not the newspaper's intentions. That's just a fact.

As to the use of the word "freak" in the headline, when taken in the context of someone who grew up in the Sixties when that word meant either weirdo or nerd or stoner, or someone heavily "into" something, I see nothing that warrants much beyond the raising of my eyebrow.

I appreciate the GDL Reporter and have no problem forgiving them the small lapse in that headline which definitely caused my eyebrows to raise as well. Yes it is pricey for its size but again there's that economy of scale problem. You can avoid the expense of the print edition by getting an on line subscription which is like 80 percent cheaper.

As for the letter, it struck me as a silly rant. Hardly worth getting upset about. That's my personal opinion.

It is the hope of every newspaper editor that entertaining, stupid, racist, dramatic, argumentative and/or perspicacious letters arrive so they have something interesting to print. All newspapers rely on readers, who will then see the businesses who advertise, who will in turn continue to take ads, which will keep the paper afloat. There is no difference between The New York Times, der Spiegel, or The Guadalajara Reporter when it comes to this. You should worry only if they start writing the letters themselves.

Any fuss should be limited to the letter itself and not the newspaper's intentions. That's just a fact.

As to the use of the word "freak" in the headline, when taken in the context of someone who grew up in the Sixties when that word meant either weirdo or nerd or stoner, or someone heavily "into" something, I see nothing that warrants much beyond the raising of my eyebrow.

Out of curiosity I looked up the word "freak" at dictionary.com and found this meaning, which certainly seems to be the one the Guadalajara Reporter was going for in their headline:

a devoted fan or follower; enthusiast

Perhaps fanatic or advocate would have been better choice but headlines have to fit the space allotted and those two words definitely take up more room than "freak."
Letters to the Editor are just that--letters written by a reader to the newspaper. They in no way reflect the opinion of the editor and/or owner of the newspaper. Given how few letters to the editor appear in the Guadalajara Reporter, they probably print every one they received. To pick and choose would essentially be censorship. Do we want our local English language newspaper to practice censorship? If a reader does not like what another reader writes in a letter to the editor (or the choice of words used in a headline,) he/she needs to write a letter to the editor expressing his/her opinion. Letters to the editor are the most direct way for readers to express their personal opinions.
Signed,
A former journalism teacher

Not at all true. Where did you get that from?

From reading it for years and paying attention.Maybe a couple slip by once in a while but that is their policy.

Try submitting a stupid racist comment to one of their articles and get back to me.

If I'm not mistaken you advertise in the GR,maybe you're a little biased.

I read the Times every day, and I believe you are truly missing things on so many levels that I cannot even begin to find the energy to correct you. Read on.

Well,when you find the energy post a link to one.

The question is why does this newspaper habitually use its Letters column to stir up controversy and anger?

I second the motion that you contact them and get their response and share it with us. :D

Out of curiosity I looked up the word "freak" at dictionary.com and found this meaning, which certainly seems to be the one the Guadalajara Reporter was going for in their headline:

a devoted fan or follower; enthusiast

Perhaps fanatic or advocate would have been better choice but headlines have to fit the space allotted and those two words definitely take up more room than "freak."
Letters to the Editor are just that--letters written by a reader to the newspaper. They in no way reflect the opinion of the editor and/or owner of the newspaper. Given how few letters to the editor appear in the Guadalajara Reporter, they probably print every one they received. To pick and choose would essentially be censorship. Do we want our local English language newspaper to practice censorship? If a reader does not like what another reader writes in a letter to the editor (or the choice of words used in a headline,) he/she needs to write a letter to the editor expressing his/her opinion. Letters to the editor are the most direct way for readers to express their personal opinions.
Signed,
A former journalism teacher

Bdlington--Thanks for the definition of "freak." This definition makes a good case for its use in the GR's headline.

However, editors of Letters columns make an editorial judgment in selecting the letters to run. It's not censorship if to exclude certain ones they receive; it's a matter of space the newspaper or magazine wishes to give to such a column. It's your assumption that the GR receives so few letters that it probably runs every one it gets. (I've seen GR choose to expand its Letters column to a half page or a whole page when a topic got hot.)

Lexy

Back to the point of the letter to the editor...Though it might have been in bad taste, it was true in the eyes of the writer. But all religions have some pretty silly stories and beliefs that are based on something other than science. Your religion is but a superstitious belief to somebody of a different faith. It probably would have made more sense and created less furor to simply offer the same kind of critique to all religions equally instead of picking on one particular belief of one particular religion. If the writer had a problem with the Lady of the Lake, he could have used that as an example along with equally unscientific examples from other belief systems...including his own.

Well, I'll give my opinion on both subjects. Get ready to throw your rocks.

Both the article on the Virgin of Zapopan and the "freak" headline were offensive to me. Though we may have a right to say what we want sometimes we need to hold our tongue rather than offend another. For heaven's sake what was gained from such a rude swipe at Mexican religion and Mexican feelings? Certainly the Lady of Zapopan has brought happiness and comfort to hundreds of thousands of people over hundreds of years. Why be mean enough to hurt someone's feelings. The writer's opinion could have been presented in a softer, kinder way. Does it make someone feel better or more superior to hurt someone's feelings about their religious convictions?

I also wonder if it feels "cute" to call someone a "freak" even if it is said "tongue in cheek"? I teach English to professionals each week in Guadalajara and I use the Reporter to teach reading, pronunciation and encourage students to take a look at what the foreign community is reporting on. Yikes! Last Saturday my class couldn't believe the article or the Letter to the Editor. I was embarrassed to have to explain the writing to Mexican professionals who would never have said such a thing to foreigners. By the way; many Mexicans DO read the Reporter.

I'll think twice about buying 14 Reporters each week next term for my students to study from. This is a Reporter with a whole new edge. Last week's edition was an edge too sharp.

Now let me put my helmet and armor on.

Two things: the letter was not an article and I think the fact that it was some reader's opinion has been made fairly clear here. The second is that everyone is making far too much of this. And now you are going to stop the practice of using the Reporter to help you teach each week because of what you consider to be a gaffe? I hope I never say ain't when youse is around. I think instead of being embarrassed, I would have taken the time to host a discussion on quality, ethics, responsibility, etcetera.

How about “culturally inappropriate“ in either community. In this case; insulting to the host culture, which is very sensitive to such things, but too polite to respond. However, they will respond in some very subtle ways, which is not good for anyone.

Monesson--I think it would be good if you reviewed what has been said on both the headline and the letter. No rocks will be thrown at you for ground that has been well covered from all points of view.

No need to be embarrassed by what the Reporter has printed. Use it for lively class discussion.

Lexy

I'll think twice about buying 14 Reporters each week next term for my students to study from. This is a Reporter with a whole new edge. Last week's edition was an edge too sharp.

I doubt the GR will lose any sleep over this, and especially since you post here and not write to them. My money says you will continue to do the same old, same old.... :D

Archived