Chapala.com Webboard

Paw (and ear) infection

Update:

Oct 23rd:

Sought second opinion, a different vet who is in practice with Vet #1.

That vet said the paper write-up did not show specific of Malassezia.

Vet #3 was not available to speak with this vet, so consult could not complete until Friday.

Consult & blood tests reviewed dogs health. Showed slight compromise with immune system.

Was instructed to return Sat 24th, to review further on Friday, after this vet spoke with Vet #3

what was actually seen on the swab tests (beyond the simplified typed report)

Oct 24th:

Returned again next day after the two vets conversed about that swab test. Diagnosis is officially

Malassezia. Consult for that confirmed condition, exam and cleaning of ear (also affected by this yeast),

received ear medications, and specifics of how long to remain on the anti fungal which was prescribed

by Vet #3. Difference in treatment is two weeks on oral and an ear medication.

PS I did inquire about preventives, as that is really the heart of avoiding reinfection due to a

slightly compromised immune system. The advice was for weekly ear cleaning and wiping paws

at end of day.

Just as with a human condition, prevention is the key. Once this pooch went on antibiotics, I

even shared my probiotics with him. Now i have received pet probiotics and consider this part of

his daily regimen. That is just one part of this recipe. Now that I know the dog has an immune

system requiring help, I will look into homeopathics and other preventives to assist him.

First experience Vet #1 with tests meds ran 1100 pesos. Vet #2 1000.00 & pharm med 330.

and this last (Vet #1 partner) was 600 consult/lab & 450 Sat. consult/med Fri

Treatment yielded answers and insight, as did the people on this web board. Never under

estimate the power of pet ownership. That care and responsibility is born of love... A very

powerful incentive.

Thank you so much for everyone's input. If anyone has a question regarding this experience, or should

your dog be doing battle with something similar, feel free to contact me. Hopefully at a later date, I may

even have some tested preventives in place!

Thanks Xena for your kind words.

I certainly hope that I /this thread can be of help to others.

Other pet owners are a valuable source of help and info, via this message board!

Thank you for sharing so much information about what you have been through. This thread is now a valuable resource on how to marshal resources to help solve a problem with a pet. You did a great job of helping your dog.

Archived