Chapala.com Webboard

Paw (and ear) infection

My 1 1/2 year old dogs immune system appears to be compromised.

What began as licking paws and simply a cosmetic (brown from licking) change,

without compromised skin, has evolved to sores in between toes 3 months ago, and

more recently (last three weeks) sores on the bottom (between pads) of his paws.

The first sores appeared between the toes, 3 months ago. There

were wounds/puss to be cleared up, so I was not given any choice but to do

a round of antibiotics and a shot of anti-inflamitory with Vet #1, who believed

these sores came as a result of nervous paw licking. I wasn't sold on the reasoning

as this was a very happy dog. Vet #1 wanted this happy go lucky dog to be put on a

lifetime of anti-anxiety meds. I declined that part of treatment, even though Vet #1 was

absolutely sure that was why the infection occurred in first place. We had a long, annoying

conversation on that top of his belief about this dog. I followed through on all but the

mental health meds, which I declined... yeash.

That cleared up the situation and the skin between the toes healed. Dog was very happy,

and out of pain... yay.

To rule out paw licking, as the point of entry for future infection reoccurrence,

I left on a comfy (fabric) cone, when this dog was not supervised. Therefore I knew he was not licking those paws any longer, If the infection returned, it would not be due to mouth bacteria and licking. It's a good thing he likes the comfy cone... wrestles and plays without noting it is on.. lol. Other dogs even tug at it, as they incite him to play... all was well. No more licking/no more brown paws.

Well three months later, all the while using the comfy cone, infection returned... (3 1/2 weeks ago),

along with an ear infection.

I went to the vet #2 and updated that vet on prior treatment/history. Vet was not aware of

what the infection source was, but gave ear drops to clear up that infection, and I continued to soak paws, as I mulled this over further.

Ear infection only partially healed.

Paw infection not getting better and spreading to bottom between pads, I took

my dog to recommended Vet #3 who has done lab tests. I am hoping that the lab

tests show something and will post results here when we receive them.

Prior to getting back lab tests, Vet #3 is having me apply a potent cortisol /anti-inflamitory

solution to paws twice daily. Vet is also giving a series of three shots (antibiotic /anti-inflamitory combo). We are on our last shot today. It doesn't seem to have cleared up, as when we were using oral antibiotics.

Paws and the ear being affected, it may be fungal or yeast infection?

I am hoping that is not the case, for the rounds of antibiotics given, would have created a bad cycle, instead of really helping.

QUESTIONS:

Has anyone had a situation like this for their dog?

Has anyone found a vet that treated this affectively?

Has anyone found adequate testing for this type of infection?

What if any supplements or alternative meds have worked for the above?

It appears this is difficult to diagnose, for so many other elements may contaminate a lab sample when a paw is being swabbed. Especially so if it is yeast or fungal.

The other dogs are unaffected (thank goodness) so their immune system must be stronger than their pack mate. As of Oct 1st; I added dog probiotics, to strengthen his system. This week, I will also be adding yet another item from US for immunity health. Plus I am returning this pack to the food he was on prior to our move ( from the US ) a year ago. I found that food on Mercado Libre.

I have eliminated the dog park, for this may have coincided with that environmental change? His paws get very muddy and wet there, for he is quite active and sticks them in the water to cool off, so moisture and or mud where horses are may not be the best for his system.

I will so an update, posting lab results, but am not holding my breath on that one, for too many say they are not reliable.

He cannot be the only lakeside dog dealing with this... and we have such a dog infiltrated community that it must have a wealth of info and experience with this.

I will drive anywhere to take him to an excellent vet, Guad included. So please referrals for vets which have experience in this area.

I looked at grass seed dog info, and this is not his infection... but oh thank you so much. I need all the help troubleshooting, I can get.

Vet #1 did a sample putting tape between the toes.

Current vet (#3) did a swab between the pads, on one spot that was particularly wet/oozing (not scraping) which went into a glass tube to the lab.

Updated info from todays visit: We didn't give the third shot today. It appears the shot of Enrofloxacin (antibiotic) and Dexametazone (Anti inflammatory) has made this poor guy a lethargic, so todays third and last shot has been postponed until tomorrow.

I also have instructions to wash paws twice weekly, and I will be using the zymox (from states) antibacterial anti fungal shampoo as a doggie dip for the paws when I do that.

Do a search on google for 'grass seed dog' see if the pics resemble what your dog has. It also effects the ears.

Malassezia is a common yeast found in dogs and cats - did the vet do a scraping of the areas?

Thanks so much for this info Georgia Peach! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us.

Let's see what the lab test Vet #3 performed uncovers. If still in the dark, your information could be very helpful.

His paws look just like the one on the "What does it look like" of the Malassezia Pododermatitis image!

I hope I can communicate this information effectively. Maybe if I had someone translate it, for greater ease that would help?

It does look like the photo of Malassezia pododermatitis that I found online.

According to that info:

HOW DO I DIAGNOSE IT?
  • Diagnosis is confirmed via cutaneous cytology.
  • Although malodor is a common feature, its presence or absence may be misleading. Cytological evaluation is strongly recommended.
  • Numbers of Malassezia organisms are variable.
  • A finding of greater than 3 yeasts per high power oil immersion field is significant in the presence of suggestive clinical signs.
  • Clinical signs may be present with fewer numbers of yeast in some individuals.
  • Positive reactions to intradermally-injected Malassezia antigen or elevated levels of Malassezia-specific IgE support the diagnosis of Malassezia hypersensitivity in pruritic patients with Malassezia overgrowth. These diagnostics are not routinely performed and not required for diagnosis.
and treatment for that is:
HOW DO I MANAGE IT?
  • Treatment involves management of the underlying condition as well as topical and/or systemic antifungal therapy.
  • Recheck with repeat cytology should be performed 1-3 weeks after initiation of therapy and approximately one week beyond clinical and cytological cure.
  • The typical treatment duration is 3-4 weeks.
TOPICAL THERAPY
  • Topical therapy is indicated in all cases of Malassezia dermatitis and should be utilized in conjunction with systemic therapy for generalized presentations.
  • Shampoo therapy is ideally performed 2-3 times weekly. Shampoos should be continued until resolution, and can be maintained weekly to prevent recurrence. A minimum of 10 minutes is a suggested contact time.
  • Effective active ingredients include: ketoconazole 1-2%, miconazole 2%, chlorhexidine 2-4%, benzoyl peroxide 2.5%, and selenium sulfide 1%.
  • Sprays and wipes containing acetic acid 2% and boric acid 2%, chlorhexidine 2-4%, miconazole 2%, or ketoconazole 1-2% may be used every 24-48 hours until resolution, and can be maintained 1-2 times weekly to prevent recurrence.
  • Leave-on rinses with the following active ingredients may be utilized as a sole or adjunct topical treatment: acetic acid 2%, ketoconazole 1-2% miconazole 2%, and chlorhexidine 2-4%. A white vinegar and water (1:3) solution may be utilized as an acetic acid leave-on rinse.
  • Focal, dry presentations may be treated with daily applications of antifungal lotions, ointment, or creams.
  • Active ingredients include: clotrimazole 1%, miconazole 1-2%, terbinafine 1%, thiabendazole 4%, amphotericin B 3% and nystatin.
SYSTEMIC (ORAL) THERAPY
  • Systemic antifungal treatment is recommended for patients with generalized or multifocal Malasseziacolonization and can be used as a sole therapy when compliance with topical therapy is poor.
  • Systemic therapy is selected empirically. Culture and sensitivity of Malassezia is not routinely performed by laboratories, and reliable, reproducible susceptibility breakpoints are yet to be established and correlated with clinical efficacy.
  • The typical treatment duration is 3-4 weeks. Recheck is recommended to assess for clinical and cytological response.
  • Ketoconazole and itraconazole should be given with food to optimize absorption.
  • The azole class of antifungals may induce hepatotoxicity and should be avoided or used with caution in patients with hepatotoxicity. Many drug interactions with this class are possible and concurrent medications should be assessed. For prolonged use of the azole class antifungals, a serum biochemistry profile is prudent to assess for hepatotoxicity.
  • Vasculitis and cutaneous ulcers may develop in 7.5% of dogs treated with itraconazole at doses >10 mg/kg.

Do a search on google for 'grass seed dog' see if the pics resemble what your dog has. It also effects the ears.

Malassezia is a common yeast found in dogs and cats - did the vet do a scraping of the areas?

First image is crevices of between paw pads on my dog:

30lfigy.jpg

Next image is from Malassezia online photo, also of same area between pads:

1zx8dbp.jpg

It has looked like both depending on when and which paw you view.

Thank you again.

WE HAVE A GREAT DOG COMMUNITY HERE. A wealth of canine info!

Keep that information coming, I appreciate any help for this sweet guy.

You may also send PM's

Try Dr. Garcia who uses homeopathy. He is in the strip mall with Yves but has limited hours (Wednesday - Saturday 11 - 2). I have had amazing results with one of my dogs for a chronic condition which disappeared with homeopathic treatment.

I have had good luck with Ladron but sounds like they may be very #3. If I am wrong, they are definitely worth a shot.

Good luck.

Thank you for the referral!

Try Dr. Garcia who uses homeopathy. He is in the strip mall with Yves but has limited hours (Wednesday - Saturday 11 - 2). I have had amazing results with one of my dogs for a chronic condition which disappeared with homeopathic treatment.
I have had good luck with Ladron but sounds like they may be very #3. If I am wrong, they are definitely worth a shot.
Good luck.

Poor sweet dog. He must be so uncomfortable. I haven't personally dealt with this, but q good friend in Los Angeles are did. Her dog ended up being allergic to grass and grains. She had to be careful where she walked him and switched his diet to chicken and green beans. He was a Golden Retriever who passed last year at 16. Best f luck....please let us know what you find out.

This might help.

Malassezia pachydermatis is a yeast that is commonly found on certain areas of the skin of dogs. Its presence is normally not a cause for alarm, however, in some cases; Malassezia can reproduce in abnormally large numbers and cause disease.

Where is the yeast Malassezia found?

Malassezia is commonly found in the ear canal, interdigital area (between the toes), anal sacs, vagina, and rectum of healthy dogs. Disease-causing infections with this yeast can occur in dogs of all ages and breeds. There are however, several dog breeds that appear to have an increased susceptibility to developing Malassezia infections including:

• Basset Hounds
  • Cocker Spaniels
  • English Setters
  • Shih Tzus
  • Maltese
  • West Highland White Terriers
  • German Shepherd Dogs

Why do dogs get Malassezia yeast infections?

Malassezia is an opportunistic organism. This means the yeast takes advantage of any opportunity to grow when the conditions are right. Malassezia infections often appear during the high-humidity months of summer and they may persist into the fall. Any hereditary or infectious disease that weakens the skin's immune system can allow a Malassezia infection to begin. For example, dogs that suffer from a bacterial dermatitis (skin infection), allergies, or seborrhea can have irritated skin that is then susceptible to becoming infected with this yeast. In addition, increased levels of sebum (oils in the skin) or cerumen (ear wax) can lead to an infection. The prolonged use of certain medications, such as glucocorticoids (e.g., prednisone) or antibiotics, can predispose the dog to an infection with this yeast.

What are the signs of a Malassezia yeast infection in dogs?

Chronic-itchy skin is almost always present with these yeast infections. Because of the scratching, the dog may further traumatize the skin spreading the infection. The yeast may be localized on the ear, muzzle, toes, anal area, or it may be generalized, covering most of the body. Dogs with the generalized form will often have an offensive smell and display oily, scaly skin. Dogs with localized muzzle infections may rub their face or have episodes of intensely scratching their face. Dogs with infections on their toes may lick their feet constantly. Hair loss, redness, hyperpigmentation (blackening of the skin), and thickening of the skin may also be present.

Ear infections or otitis externa, is most often a mixed infection involving yeast, such as Malassezia, a bacterium and, at times, ear mites. If an infection develops in the ear, the dog may shake his head and scratch at his ears. There may also be a foul odor from the ear. As with the skin infections listed above, Malassezia starts to proliferate when the environment in the dog's ear canal changes due to another disease condition such as allergies, a hormonal imbalance (such as hypothyroidism) or a bacterial infection.

How are Malassezia yeast infections in dogs diagnosed?

The best way to diagnose a Malassezia infection is with a positive identification of the organism under a microscope. Samples can be obtained from the infected area by scraping, swabbing or applying and removing transparent tape. Most infections will have a large number of yeast present that will confirm the diagnosis. Laboratory cultures can also be performed to identify the organism. Because Malassezia can and will be present on a healthy animal, there may be some doubt as to whether or not it is the causative agent of the problem. Therefore, diagnosis is usually confirmed by the clinical response to treatment.

How are Malassezia yeast infections in dogs treated?

First and foremost any underlying disease condition must be properly diagnosed and treated; whether it is a bacterial infection, an allergy, seborrhea or any condition that suppresses the animal's immune system.

Fundamentally, treatment involves creating an environment that is hostile to Malassezia. To provide an inhospitable environment for this yeast, lipids (or fats) on the skin need to be removed. Chlorhexidine shampoos that are 1% or stronger, and shampoos containing benzoyl peroxide and sulfur can be used. Selsun Blue shampoo for people also has a good effect against Malassezia in some dogs, although it can be irritating. Shampoos containing ketoconazole have also been used.

For localized treatment of very small areas, miconazole cream can be applied to the infected area twice daily for several weeks.

For dogs with more severe cases, or in those that are resistant to topical treatment, oral ketoconazole, fluconzole, or itraconazole can be administered for several weeks. A response is generally seen within 1-2 weeks; however, therapy needs to continue for an additional 3-5 weeks. These oral antifungal drugs are very effective, but because of their potentially toxic side effects and expense, they should only be used under direct veterinary supervision.

Ear infections with Malassezia are treated by cleaning the ears 1-2 times daily. Ear cleaners containing acids such as acetic or boric acid help to maintain a pH that inhibits the growth of yeast. After cleaning and allowing the ear to dry, appropriate topical medications containing nystatin, thiabendazole, or clomitrazole can be used. Again, the underlying condition must also be treated or treatment for the yeast infection will be frustrating and unsuccessful.

Conclusion

Malassezia is an extremely common yeast found on almost every dog. Infections with Malassezia are almost always associated with an underlying condition. Symptoms often include severe itching, that could be misdiagnosed as skin allergies. The organism can be readily identified and treatment is usually successful. If your dog has itchy skin or hair loss that has failed to respond to conventional treatments, make sure your veterinarian checks your dog for the ever-present Malassezia.

Hopefully the lab findings will give you a clear direction to go for treatment.

First I will say I am not a doctor, and you should follow your Vet's advise.

I am only expressing my experiences.

Yeast and fungal infections in humans, as well as in animals,

thrive in warm, moist and 'dark' environment, such as toes, ears, etc..

Sometimes a fungal / yeast infection will cause what's called a ' secondary infection ' caused by opportunistic bacteria and antibiotics are required. This is a double edge sword unfortunately. Sometimes the use of an antibiotic, although needed for an bacterial infection, can create a welcoming avenue for a yeast / fungal infection to take advantage of the situation,

as can be attested to by some ladies who have had this unpleasant experience.

I had a good friend who had a Cocker and a Schnauzer and she was always battling keeping the fungal / yeast problem in check. After successfully getting it resolved, she made sure that when her dogs were groomed, that the hair between their toes was shaved /clipped very close, and

she went so far as plucking the hair deep down in the ear canal [ the hair acted like a wick for moisture . She also used a hair dryer on cool [ not warm or hot - the idea was to get air

into/onto the skin areas ] to blow on the affected areas .. keeping it 'dry' .

Mind you, it took a while for the dogs to get used to it, but they did.

She would also tape their floppy ears over their head [ with paper tape ] to allow air down into the ears a few hours each day.. The dogs looked funny when this was done , and they did get used to this also.

Discuss with you Vet if he/she believes in a supportive homeopathic approach to augment 'traditional vet care ' for resolution for this problem.

I have on occasion asked Gabriel Garcias [ a Mexican licensed M,D. who also practice homeopathic medicine and acupuncture ] for assistance in some of the care of my cats/dogs in conjuctin with Vet care. I have consulted with the pets' treating Vet at the time, and he has been most understanding. My first experience was eight years ago for treatment of a cat who had chronic cystistis [ inflammation of the bladder wall lining ] which was not caused by a structural defect or infection verified by Vet exam, X-Ray, etc.. .. I chose not to have the cat be treated by long term use of steroids. I consulted with Garbriel and he made a liquid solution, which I give my cat every morning, and the cat has not had any acute episodes in eight years, nor need for steroids.

I realize each situation is different.

Each person will have their own beliefs, experiences, opinions , prejudices, etc.. about this topic and option.

My experiences have been good ones thus far.

PORTIMOM, I wish you and your dogs a full and successful healing and resolution.

I know it hurts their parents when their family pet member does not feel well.

Thank you for offering this information.

I have been reading right and left on this topic... but I may have missed something so thank you for your help.

This might help.

Malassezia pachydermatis is a yeast that is commonly found on certain areas of the skin of dogs. Its presence is normally not a cause for alarm, however, in some cases; Malassezia can reproduce in abnormally large numbers and cause disease.

Where is the yeast Malassezia found?

Malassezia is commonly found in the ear canal, interdigital area (between the toes), anal sacs, vagina, and rectum of healthy dogs. Disease-causing infections with this yeast can occur in dogs of all ages and breeds. There are however, several dog breeds that appear to have an increased susceptibility to developing Malassezia infections including:

• Basset Hounds
  • Cocker Spaniels
  • English Setters
  • Shih Tzus
  • Maltese
  • West Highland White Terriers
  • German Shepherd Dogs

Why do dogs get Malassezia yeast infections?

Malassezia is an opportunistic organism. This means the yeast takes advantage of any opportunity to grow when the conditions are right. Malassezia infections often appear during the high-humidity months of summer and they may persist into the fall. Any hereditary or infectious disease that weakens the skin's immune system can allow a Malassezia infection to begin. For example, dogs that suffer from a bacterial dermatitis (skin infection), allergies, or seborrhea can have irritated skin that is then susceptible to becoming infected with this yeast. In addition, increased levels of sebum (oils in the skin) or cerumen (ear wax) can lead to an infection. The prolonged use of certain medications, such as glucocorticoids (e.g., prednisone) or antibiotics, can predispose the dog to an infection with this yeast.

What are the signs of a Malassezia yeast infection in dogs?

Chronic-itchy skin is almost always present with these yeast infections. Because of the scratching, the dog may further traumatize the skin spreading the infection. The yeast may be localized on the ear, muzzle, toes, anal area, or it may be generalized, covering most of the body. Dogs with the generalized form will often have an offensive smell and display oily, scaly skin. Dogs with localized muzzle infections may rub their face or have episodes of intensely scratching their face. Dogs with infections on their toes may lick their feet constantly. Hair loss, redness, hyperpigmentation (blackening of the skin), and thickening of the skin may also be present.

Ear infections or otitis externa, is most often a mixed infection involving yeast, such as Malassezia, a bacterium and, at times, ear mites. If an infection develops in the ear, the dog may shake his head and scratch at his ears. There may also be a foul odor from the ear. As with the skin infections listed above, Malassezia starts to proliferate when the environment in the dog's ear canal changes due to another disease condition such as allergies, a hormonal imbalance (such as hypothyroidism) or a bacterial infection.

How are Malassezia yeast infections in dogs diagnosed?

The best way to diagnose a Malassezia infection is with a positive identification of the organism under a microscope. Samples can be obtained from the infected area by scraping, swabbing or applying and removing transparent tape. Most infections will have a large number of yeast present that will confirm the diagnosis. Laboratory cultures can also be performed to identify the organism. Because Malassezia can and will be present on a healthy animal, there may be some doubt as to whether or not it is the causative agent of the problem. Therefore, diagnosis is usually confirmed by the clinical response to treatment.

How are Malassezia yeast infections in dogs treated?

First and foremost any underlying disease condition must be properly diagnosed and treated; whether it is a bacterial infection, an allergy, seborrhea or any condition that suppresses the animal's immune system.

Fundamentally, treatment involves creating an environment that is hostile to Malassezia. To provide an inhospitable environment for this yeast, lipids (or fats) on the skin need to be removed. Chlorhexidine shampoos that are 1% or stronger, and shampoos containing benzoyl peroxide and sulfur can be used. Selsun Blue shampoo for people also has a good effect against Malassezia in some dogs, although it can be irritating. Shampoos containing ketoconazole have also been used.

For localized treatment of very small areas, miconazole cream can be applied to the infected area twice daily for several weeks.

For dogs with more severe cases, or in those that are resistant to topical treatment, oral ketoconazole, fluconzole, or itraconazole can be administered for several weeks. A response is generally seen within 1-2 weeks; however, therapy needs to continue for an additional 3-5 weeks. These oral antifungal drugs are very effective, but because of their potentially toxic side effects and expense, they should only be used under direct veterinary supervision.

Ear infections with Malassezia are treated by cleaning the ears 1-2 times daily. Ear cleaners containing acids such as acetic or boric acid help to maintain a pH that inhibits the growth of yeast. After cleaning and allowing the ear to dry, appropriate topical medications containing nystatin, thiabendazole, or clomitrazole can be used. Again, the underlying condition must also be treated or treatment for the yeast infection will be frustrating and unsuccessful.

Conclusion

Malassezia is an extremely common yeast found on almost every dog. Infections with Malassezia are almost always associated with an underlying condition. Symptoms often include severe itching, that could be misdiagnosed as skin allergies. The organism can be readily identified and treatment is usually successful. If your dog has itchy skin or hair loss that has failed to respond to conventional treatments, make sure your veterinarian checks your dog for the ever-present Malassezia.

Couldn't help but laugh at the tied back ears, for I have done that quite often to these dogs for that very reason...

They do look funny, but the floppy ears do harbor a lot of moisture. I insist on cutting the hair short as well,

paws cut close... maybe that has kept it from cropping up elsewhere on his body? Aerating the dogs deep

creased areas are not a bad idea either... all good suggestions.

I believe what we are dealing with and treating for with the antibiotics, is a secondary infection.

It accelerated so quickly that it went from minor to severe in no time at all. So yes antibiotics.

The primary may be yeast, and if so will have to be diagnosed and properly treated.

It's great to know that we have a Homeopathic Dr which comes recommended.

One of the many articles I read on Malassezia, spoke of a blend of essential oils and coconut oil

for treatment: http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/study-essential-oils-and-coconut-oil-effective-for-skin-disorders-on-dogs/

I wouldn't know where to begin, and yes it is important if taking that route to do it correctly with someone who is experienced. I do appreciate hearing of Dr Garcias!

Thank you for writing

Hopefully the lab findings will give you a clear direction to go for treatment.

First I will say I am not a doctor, and you should follow your Vet's advise.

I am only expressing my experiences.

Yeast and fungal infections in humans, as well as in animals,

thrive in warm, moist and 'dark' environment, such as toes, ears, etc..

Sometimes a fungal / yeast infection will cause what's called a ' secondary infection ' caused by opportunistic bacteria and antibiotics are required. This is a double edge sword unfortunately. Sometimes the use of an antibiotic, although needed for an bacterial infection, can create a welcoming avenue for a yeast / fungal infection to take advantage of the situation,

as can be attested to by some ladies who have had this unpleasant experience.

I had a good friend who had a Cocker and a Schnauzer and she was always battling keeping the fungal / yeast problem in check. After successfully getting it resolved, she made sure that when her dogs were groomed, that the hair between their toes was shaved /clipped very close, and

she went so far as plucking the hair deep down in the ear canal [ the hair acted like a wick for moisture . She also used a hair dryer on cool [ not warm or hot - the idea was to get air

into/onto the skin areas ] to blow on the affected areas .. keeping it 'dry' .

Mind you, it took a while for the dogs to get used to it, but they did.

She would also tape their floppy ears over their head [ with paper tape ] to allow air down into the ears a few hours each day.. The dogs looked funny when this was done , and they did get used to this also.

Discuss with you Vet if he/she believes in a supportive homeopathic approach to augment 'traditional vet care ' for resolution for this problem.

I have on occasion asked Gabriel Garcias [ a Mexican licensed M,D. who also practice homeopathic medicine and acupuncture ] for assistance in some of the care of my cats/dogs in conjuctin with Vet care. I have consulted with the pets' treating Vet at the time, and he has been most understanding. My first experience was eight years ago for treatment of a cat who had chronic cystistis [ inflammation of the bladder wall lining ] which was not caused by a structural defect or infection verified by Vet exam, X-Ray, etc.. .. I chose not to have the cat be treated by long term use of steroids. I consulted with Garbriel and he made a liquid solution, which I give my cat every morning, and the cat has not had any acute episodes in eight years, nor need for steroids.

I realize each situation is different.

Each person will have their own beliefs, experiences, opinions , prejudices, etc.. about this topic and option.

My experiences have been good ones thus far.

PORTIMOM, I wish you and your dogs a full and successful healing and resolution.

I know it hurts their parents when their family pet member does not feel well.

I had a cocker spaniel back in Canada about four years ago who had constant ear infections. The vet could not clear it up. I searched the internet and found a website of a cocker breeder who had posted an ear cleaner recipe, which I made up and used, which was very successful, my vet asked me for the recipe and passed it on to other dog owners. The website is zimfamilycockers.com. I am sure you can buy all the ingredients here. I hope this will help you as much as it helped me.

Thanks for sharing. I will look it up. Floppy ears with furry canals (have to gently pull hair out of ear to maintain health), always can use a good ear cleanser.

I had a cocker spaniel back in Canada about four years ago who had constant ear infections. The vet could not clear it up. I searched the internet and found a website of a cocker breeder who had posted an ear cleaner recipe, which I made up and used, which was very successful, my vet asked me for the recipe and passed it on to other dog owners. The website is zimfamilycockers.com. I am sure you can buy all the ingredients here. I hope this will help you as much as it helped me.

One of my dogs has had repeated bouts with Malassezia (she has allergies, and the scratching damages her skin and allows opportunistic infections). In the past she has responded well to the standard treatment (short round of antibiotics, then systemic antifungals and frequent baths with medicated shampoo.) But this time around, since she's old and has other health problems, she's been struggling with it for several months as it moves from one part of her body to another.

For what it's worth, the routine that has worked best for her is twice weekly baths with a chlorhexidine shampoo followed by the leave-in Zymox conditioner, with ketoconazole cream applied to the worst areas at night. She's also on the systemic antifungal itraconazole, and I periodically clean her ears with the zymox ear cleaner.

It seems to me that the most important part of her treatment is using the chlorhexidine shampoo twice a week -- if I slack off and bathe her only once a week the malassezia gets worse. The anti-fungal shampoo didn't work as well as the chlorhexidine one - probably because it didn't penetrate the biofilm very well. I use the Zymox in the conditioner form instead of shampoo, because I figure more of the enzymes are left on her skin to do their thing.

The ketocanazol cream is the stuff from the drugstore for athlete's foot or vaginal infections.

I did try a couple of other things - diluted vinegar spray, neem extract on skin, but they didn't seem to help much. In the US I used malaseb shampoo, which worked well, but I haven't found it here. But I sometimes mix the chlorhexidene and antifungal shampoos to approximate it. I also sometimes used chlorhexidine wipes in the US, but haven't seen them here (plus they are expensive and are best for small infected areas).

There a product - Malacalm - that came out of the research done by that Italian group (the article you linked to was reporting their research). I doubt you could find it here, but they do give the percentages of all the essential oils, so you might be able to mix up something similar.

Another possibility is Dermoscent. I haven't used it, but an old post on this board said that the vet across from El Torito's used to sell it. It is available from Amazon US but can't be shipped to Mexico.

Don't worry about the paragraphing.... Great info.

Started looking up some of what you mentioned and noted that the

Malasab shampoo is sold on Amazon. It's says able to deliver to

Mexico, and has great reviews. Wouldn't hold my breath on the

delivery to Mexico, but there are other ways to get this in.

I am wondering if Dr Garcia might be able to whip up something similar

to the essential oil blend used for Malacalm.

The Malacalm looks great, but how on earth did you even get it? Is there

a mail order company that will ship it to the US. If so I can get it here (should

I not be able to duplicate it here with a Homeopath)

It looks like it is only available in Italy!

MALACALM BIO - 50 ML

Reference: F1376

Gel adjuvant in the treatment of skin diseases of the dog, such as irritation and dermatitis Malassenzia. Restores shine to the hair. It 'a 100% natural product for ANIMAL, refreshing, eudermic and soothing. Recommended by veterinary doctors of the University of Pisa.MALACALM is a 100% natural, formulated with essential oils of mint, marjoram, oregano, lavender, helichrysum in sweet almond oil and coconut oil from organic farming - the mixture of these oils allows the product to have significant anti-inflammatory properties, refreshing, eudermic and soothing. The product should be applied morning and evening for 30 days on the affected areas. It may also want to put the gel on your hands and massage well all over the coat, avoiding contact with eyes and nose.,

One of my dogs has had repeated bouts with Malassezia (she has allergies, and the scratching damages her skin and allows opportunistic infections). In the past she has responded well to the standard treatment (short round of antibiotics, then systemic antifungals and frequent baths with medicated shampoo.) But this time around, since she's old and has other health problems, she's been struggling with it for several months as it moves from one part of her body to another. For what it's worth, the routine that has worked best for her is twice weekly baths with a chlorhexidine shampoo followed by the leave-in Zymox conditioner, with ketoconazole cream applied to the worst areas at night. She's also on the systemic antifungal itraconazole, and I periodically clean her ears with the zymox ear cleaner. It seems to me that the most important part of her treatment is using the chlorhexidine shampoo twice a week -- if I slack off and bathe her only once a week the malassezia gets worse. The anti-fungal shampoo didn't work as well as the chlorhexidine one - probably because it didn't penetrate the biofilm very well. I use the Zymox in the conditioner form instead of shampoo, because I figure more of the enzymes are left on her skin to do their thing. The ketocanazol cream is the stuff from the drugstore for athlete's foot or vaginal infections. I did try a couple of other things - diluted vinegar spray, neem extract on skin, but they didn't seem to help much. In the US I used malaseb shampoo, which worked well, but I haven't found it here. But I sometimes mix the chlorhexidene and antifungal shampoos to approximate it. I also sometimes used chlorhexidine wipes in the US, but haven't seen them here (plus they are expensive and are best for small infected areas). There a product - Malacalm - that came out of the research done by that Italian group (the article you linked to was reporting their research). I doubt you could find it here, but they do give the percentages of all the essential oils, so you might be able to mix up something similar. Another possibility is Dermoscent. I haven't used it, but an old post on this board said that the vet across from El Torito's used to sell it. It is available from Amazon US but can't be shipped to Mexico.

Thought this would be of interest:

Pellitol Ointment
Information excerpted from Holistic Remedies, by CJ Poutinen

Nine years ago, we described a smoky-smelling pink ointment that worked wonders for seriously infected ears: Pellitol. Pellitol contained zinc oxide, calamine, bismuth subgalate, bismuth subnitrate, resorcinol, echinacea fluid extract, and juniper tar. These ingredients are both disinfecting and adhesive, so that as the ointment gradually dried and shrank (a process lasting several days), it healed ulcers, dried pus and debris, and reduced bacterial growth. In addition to being effective, this apply-it-and-leave-it approach spared patients the discomfort of repeated ear-cleaning treatments.

We learned about Pellitol from holistic veterinarian Stacy Hershman of Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, who became interested in ear infections while working as a veterinary technician in her teens. "This is a subject that isn't covered much in vet school," she told us. "I learned about treating ear infections from the veterinarians I worked with over the years. Because they all had different techniques, I saw dozens of different treatments, and I kept track of what worked and what didn't."

Chronic ear infections are the bane of long-eared dogs, swimming dogs, recently vaccinated puppies, old dogs, dogs with an abundance of ear wax, and dogs with allergies, thyroid imbalances, or immune system disorders. In other words, they are among the most common recurring canine problems.

Dr. Hershman's maintenance program for healthy ears involves gentle cleaning with cotton balls, cotton swabs, and room-temperature green tea or an alcohol-free acidic ear cleaner. Mild ear inflammation can be treated with careful flushing.

But if the infection is serious, she takes a different approach. When she began her veterinary practice, Dr. Hershman met dogs who wouldn't let anyone touch their ears. "I knew that nothing I'd learned in vet school was going to help them," she says, "so I thought back to all the treatments I'd seen over the years. The one that seemed most effective was a combination of boric acid and a thick, old-fashioned ointment that looks like pink toothpaste. I couldn't remember its name, but I never forgot how it smelled - really peculiar, like burnt embers."

The ointment was Pellitol, and as soon as she tracked it down, Dr. Hershman combined it with boric acid. "Like the ear powders I learned about from groomers," she explains, "boric acid dries and acidifies the ear. Yeast and bacteria are opportunistic organisms that die in a dry, acidic environment. They thrive where it's moist, dark, and alkaline."

Because boric acid is toxic (note warnings on the label), it should not be inhaled or swallowed. Shielding the face is important and usually requires a helper, someone who can hold the dog's head steady while protecting the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Experimenting with her own dogs and dogs at the animal shelter where she volunteered, Dr. Hershman placed two or three pinches of boric acid powder in each infected ear unless it was ulcerated, bleeding, or painful. "Being acidic," she explained, "boric acid might irritate open wounds. In that case, I would use the Pellitol alone. Otherwise, a pinch or two of boric acid was an effective preliminary treatment."

After applying boric acid, she would fill the ear with Pellitol and let it work. Within a week, the dried ointment would fall out of the dog's ear, leaving it cleaner and far less inflamed.

For more alternative and holistic remedies for your dog, purchase and download the ebook Holistic Remediesfrom The Whole Dog Journal.

The Virbac line of veterinary shampoos are sold by many of the vets here, as well as by the pet food place in Riberas (cheaper than at the vets). They have chlorhexidine (3%), anti-fungal (miconazole 2%), and other types of shampoos and rinses.

I haven't seen Zymox stuff here -- I bring that back with me from visits to the north.

I haven't used malacalm. I was at the point of trying to make some when my dog started to get better. But I'm still interested in it -- it may be a good preventative treatment.

Thanks again Northernewbie!

Very interesting.

And in regard to holistic / homeopathic treatment, I thank you again for bringing up Dr Garcias name.

Thought this would be of interest:

Pellitol Ointment
Information excerpted from Holistic Remedies, by CJ Poutinen

Nine years ago, we described a smoky-smelling pink ointment that worked wonders for seriously infected ears: Pellitol. Pellitol contained zinc oxide, calamine, bismuth subgalate, bismuth subnitrate, resorcinol, echinacea fluid extract, and juniper tar. These ingredients are both disinfecting and adhesive, so that as the ointment gradually dried and shrank (a process lasting several days), it healed ulcers, dried pus and debris, and reduced bacterial growth. In addition to being effective, this apply-it-and-leave-it approach spared patients the discomfort of repeated ear-cleaning treatments.

We learned about Pellitol from holistic veterinarian Stacy Hershman of Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, who became interested in ear infections while working as a veterinary technician in her teens. "This is a subject that isn't covered much in vet school," she told us. "I learned about treating ear infections from the veterinarians I worked with over the years. Because they all had different techniques, I saw dozens of different treatments, and I kept track of what worked and what didn't."

Chronic ear infections are the bane of long-eared dogs, swimming dogs, recently vaccinated puppies, old dogs, dogs with an abundance of ear wax, and dogs with allergies, thyroid imbalances, or immune system disorders. In other words, they are among the most common recurring canine problems.

Dr. Hershman's maintenance program for healthy ears involves gentle cleaning with cotton balls, cotton swabs, and room-temperature green tea or an alcohol-free acidic ear cleaner. Mild ear inflammation can be treated with careful flushing.

But if the infection is serious, she takes a different approach. When she began her veterinary practice, Dr. Hershman met dogs who wouldn't let anyone touch their ears. "I knew that nothing I'd learned in vet school was going to help them," she says, "so I thought back to all the treatments I'd seen over the years. The one that seemed most effective was a combination of boric acid and a thick, old-fashioned ointment that looks like pink toothpaste. I couldn't remember its name, but I never forgot how it smelled - really peculiar, like burnt embers."

The ointment was Pellitol, and as soon as she tracked it down, Dr. Hershman combined it with boric acid. "Like the ear powders I learned about from groomers," she explains, "boric acid dries and acidifies the ear. Yeast and bacteria are opportunistic organisms that die in a dry, acidic environment. They thrive where it's moist, dark, and alkaline."

Because boric acid is toxic (note warnings on the label), it should not be inhaled or swallowed. Shielding the face is important and usually requires a helper, someone who can hold the dog's head steady while protecting the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Experimenting with her own dogs and dogs at the animal shelter where she volunteered, Dr. Hershman placed two or three pinches of boric acid powder in each infected ear unless it was ulcerated, bleeding, or painful. "Being acidic," she explained, "boric acid might irritate open wounds. In that case, I would use the Pellitol alone. Otherwise, a pinch or two of boric acid was an effective preliminary treatment."

After applying boric acid, she would fill the ear with Pellitol and let it work. Within a week, the dried ointment would fall out of the dog's ear, leaving it cleaner and far less inflamed.

For more alternative and holistic remedies for your dog, purchase and download the ebook Holistic Remediesfrom The Whole Dog Journal.

I think once we clear this out of my dogs system, there will always be a potential for it returning...

Thus the preventives become very important, be it homeopathic, shampoos etc.

So good info, and a few good products mentioned in this thread.

The malacalm... is similar to the ingredients in that study of essential oils. I am wondering if Dr Garcia would be able to help put that together for me.

The Virbac line of veterinary shampoos are sold by many of the vets here, as well as by the pet food place in Riberas (cheaper than at the vets). They have chlorhexidine (3%), anti-fungal (miconazole 2%), and other types of shampoos and rinses.

I haven't seen Zymox stuff here -- I bring that back with me from visits to the north.

I haven't used malacalm. I was at the point of trying to make some when my dog started to get better. But I'm still interested in it -- it may be a good preventative treatment.

Update as promised:

My dog has received a full course (3 shots) of antibiotic/anti-inflamitory. The paws appear much better, though the underlying condition which brought this about has not been addressed yet. Yes, we do know what this is as indicated in the following lab test and Vet reading:

The CULTIVO DE RASPADO DE PIEL (Scraping skin culture)

Se aislaron e identificaron cepas de: ENTEROBACTER Y HONGO SP. (They were isolated and identified strains of: ENTEROBACTER and FUNGUS SP.)

NOTA: No se realizo el antibiograma para el ENTEROBACTER por el abundante crecimento del hongo. (IT NOTICES: The antibiograma is not realized for the ENTEROBACTER by the abundant growth of the FUNGUS.)

Upon looking further at the actual test and images, Vet #3 said this is a yeast/fungal infection and indeed has evidence of Malassezia.

Vets #3 recommendation,is a new course of medication to treat the yeast/fungal and continue with a combination of Betnovate and anti-inflamitory lotion on the paws.

We will follow up with a second consult/opinion, regarding how to approach this. I have heard varying feedback regarding Malassezia treatment time and protocol. It appears that both Vet #1 and Vet #3 reached for the antibiotics before realizing the diagnosis was for fungal/yeast. I am not certain whether or not either would have dosed my dog with antibiotics if they had suspected Malassezia. Who knows maybe the infection with open sores and puss would have called for that, in addition to treatment with a second medication?

Vet #1 has many years of experience. Vet #3 is under 5 years in practice, and completely aware of his limitations, and is interested in both what my second opinion for treatment and consult with the homeopath will yield. He is actually a pleasure to work, is very sensitive to my dogs emotions and does not rush, and is aware he has a lot to learn and is EAGER to hear what is being recommended elsewhere, to better serve his patients.

The consult with vet number one will compare different approaches to treatment.

***I have heard that Malasseziais not so quickly remedied, and even when appears to be, it can come back. Therefore preventive (holistic/ homeopathic / probiotics / other immune system strengthening tactics) should be used, of course including regular shampooing with special mixtures. I am working on getting the Malasab shampoo from the states.

There a product - Malacalm - that came out of the research done by that Italian group (the article you linked to was reporting their research). I doubt you could find it here, but they do give the percentages of all the essential oils, so you might be able to mix up something similar. Another possibility is Dermoscent. I haven't used it, but an old post on this board said that the vet across from El Torito's used to sell it. It is available from Amazon US but can't be shipped to Mexico.

Oct 21:

Dermoscent can be ordered from Vet #3. When I showed him the study done using Malacalm, this vet was very interested, and looked up Dermoscent, which he has in feline form, and he said that he could order that in canine form.

I could take a stab at trying to have a Homeopathic Dr put together a similar blend to that of malacalm, to avoid future infection/or applied at first sighting of such.

The Malacalm is sold in several countries, and may be able to be shipped to the states, where I could have a family member bring me a supply.

As usual, the people on this message board are a great help. I thank everyone who has stepped forward to help me and my pooch. When you have a sick dog, is like a child being sick , it can be exhausting, and I may have indeed overlooked info that was helpful.. thanks a bunch for pointing out important bits of info!!!!

Here is a Copy&Paste of the actual study done, which in fact they used that very product (thank you for calling that to my attention) in Journal de Mycologie Médicale / Journal of Medical Mycology

Volume 24, Issue 3, September 2014, Pages 234–240 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1156523314001231

Malassezia pachydermatis is a common cause of more widespread dermatitis in dogs (CMD). Recurrences are common, and this disorder can be very troubling for both dogs and for the pet owner.

Material and methods

The treatment of 20 dogs affected by dermatitis due to M. pachydermatis, with Malacalm®, a commercially available mixture consisting of essential oils (Citrus aurantium 1%, Lavandula officinalis 1%, Origanum vulgare 0.5%, Origanum majorana0.5%, Mentha piperita 0.5% and Helichrysum italicum var. italicum 0.5%, in sweet almond oil and coconut oil) is reported. The effectiveness of the whole mixture, of component essential oils and of their more represented compounds against clinical isolates was evaluated by a microdilution test. Twenty animals were topically administered the mixture twice daily for 1 month. Ten animals were treated with a conventional therapy based on ketoconazole 10 mg/kg/day and chlorhexidine 2% twice a week for 3 weeks. At the end of both treatments animals significantly improved their clinical status. Adverse effects were never noticed. Follow-up visit performed on day 180th allowed to observe a recurrence of clinical signs in all the subjects treated conventionally, while not significant clinical changes were referred in dogs treated with Malacalm®. The overall MIC value of Malacalm® was 0.3%. O. vulgare showed the lowest minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIC), being active at 0.8%, followed byM. piperita (1%), O. majorana (1.3%), C. aurantium (2%) and L. officinalis (4%) whileH. italicum did not yield any antimycotic effect up to 10%. Active major compounds were thymol, carvacrol, p-cymene, 1,8-cineol, limonene and menthol.

Conclusion

The phytotherapic treatment achieved a good clinical outcome, and no recurrence of skin disorders on day 180th was recorded. This herbal remedium appeared to be a safe tool for limiting recurrences of CMD.

Edit/update as follows:

Oct 22/Thursday:

I went to see Dr Garcia, the Homeopathic doctor who was recommended here. I wasn't even thinking of organic (exhausted from this whole experience) Dr Garcia who me all ingredients for his products are organic. He is going to find all the essential oils in the Malacalm formula and combine them in similar doses. I will then be able to add drops to a coconut oil/almond oil base. This doctor also said he has a mixture I could soak the pooches paws in, which is anti-fungal/yeast.

So thanks again to those who responded. I appreciate each and everyone of your contributions to this topic.

Archived