Chapala.com Webboard

Floor mosaicos tiles

asisis

Has anyone had experience laying the antique style "mosaico" floor tiles?

They are made of stained concrete (not the fire Talavera style). How does one "finish" them ?

I have read one seals them or polishes but not both. Any particular products used to do these processes?

I had some installed in my house and I wish I did not.. First get someone who knows how to install them. They are polished at the end. They stain extremely easily especially the white and are extremely slippery and dangerous when wet. There is a store in Guadalajara in the cnter that has some wonderful them. The owner is an architect and they know people who install and can clean them,

I am not in town so I cannot give you the name but if you google mosaico Guadalajara their name has mosaico in it so you will find them. It is worth going to see their catalogues.

There is a place in Joco that makes mosaicos and probably could make some for you as well depending on what you are looking for. The one in Guadalajara has some that look like a carpet.

I have them in my kitchen and that sure was a mistake, , they would be ok in the bedrooms or living room. I love them but boy am I sorry I have them..

I think you mean these tiles http://originalmissiontile.com/ They are sure beautiful. It's a great look, pattern and colors on the floor, keep the walls and ceilings minimal. It gives a room an illusion of soaring height. Soaring I like.

Read the product info for details as to proper installation. There are so many concrete sealers today, many are very high performance. You can also choose flat, semi gloss or gloss. Gloss is the hardest to obtain and maintain. Gloss is very slippery when wet - same as stone, marble and limestone (travertino). There is a non slip treatment which is used extensively in the U.S. and Canada on stone floors, tubs, tiles etc. - but I have never seen anybody offer it here. That is too bad because there are just way to many slips and falls in Mexico caused by slippery surfaces.

edit: Before I forget, it says to clean the floor with neutral detergent, water and a "capful" of liquid wax. Neutral detergent is difficult to find now, since they discontinued "Ivory Detergent flakes". Luckily, it is available from large animal supply stores as a horse shampoo, containing Laurel Sulphate. It lifts the dirt but leaves the natural oils the horses need to keep their coats healthy, especially in the rain. It is non-alkaline so it does not burn the cement like normal soaps would.

This part of their website describes installation and materials to a very professional level. There are many possible shortcuts - but...., you take your chances. This is floor which will last for 100 plus years - if properly installed and maintained.

http://originalmissiontile.com/cement-tiles-installation-guidelines/

They ship from San Luis Potosi - which is a drivable distance.

Why look at San Luis Potosi when they are available in Guadalajara?

Why look in Guadalajara when they are available in Ajijic? They are made in a small factory on the west side of the libriemento, not far north of the Laguna Plaza. You need to watch carefully. The only real signage is a board holding a few samples.

Even better..I knew there was a place in Joco that made them too but I am not sure where, if they are made in Ajijic even better.

The place in Guadalajara designs the pattern and makes them at the scale of your room but if you can do that or the place in Ajijic can do that no need to go to Guadalajara.

These tiles are also on sale in Ajijic on the Libramiento on the left hand side going to Guad, they also install and they should be able to answer your sealing and polishing instructions. I was raised with those floors and also had them in my house in Merida. They are beautiful but slippery when wet.

• 4 years later...
On 10/18/2015 at 5:05 PM, bmh said:

Why look at San Luis Potosi when they are available in Guadalajara?

They may be less expensive if ordered directly from the factory in San Luis Potosi?

One idea, considering that they are slippery, is to use them as a border rather than on the entire floor. That can really jazz up a space.

Be aware that these tiles, just like the saltillo tiles, need to be soaked in water before cementing down. If you fail to do this, the porousness of the tile sucks up too much water from the cement mix and the tiles can fail to adhere properly. 

4 hours ago, Lexi said:

I am moving to Puerto Vallarta, and want to know where I can go to buy either slate, marble or perhaps quartz for floors and countertops.

Thanks in advance 😊

Amezcua. There are two of them, one near the airport, the other by the turn-off to the tunnels. The one by the turn-off has more of the rustic stuff, like many types of saltillo tiles, but also marble, slate, etc. It's visible from highway 200, but you can't get to it from there- you have to go up the street to the tunnels, turn left on Francisco Villa, go a couple blocks, then turn left again. Use Google maps street view to understand.

They also have piles of broken tiles, slate, etc. out back in the yard, which they sell by the wheelbarrow full for cheap- really good stuff for doing outside pathways or mosaic work. It's actually one of my favorite stores- I've bought a lot there over the years. 

They also sell talavera tile, clay and onyx wall sconces, sinks, water drain spouts, and sealers.