Chapala.com Webboard

Art Groups/Classes + Yoga Classes

Hola!

I'm new in town and will be staying a couple months- hopefully longer! I've been super inspired by all the beautiful art in the area… I am wondering if there are any art groups or classes in Ajijic or Chapala? I like to surround myself with like-minded folks- I minored in Art at my university but haven't done much art since I graduated. I enjoy drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics and jewelry making- I am not just limited to those areas- I enjoy learning all types of arts and crafts. Any photography groups?

Also, I'm not able to find any art supplies- can anyone suggest some places to look? Would like to buy- at least- a sketch book (@9"x12"-ish in size) and different grades of pencils to start. I didn't see any at Walmart or the frame shop near the Ajijic plaza.

And one more thing… I'd love to find some yoga classes. I only know about the ones offered at LCS and Dristi Center. Any others? I'm not trying to be picky but just would like to know what is being offered.

I've done a bunch of Google searches but haven't found much info online so if anyone can offer me some information here- I'd so appreciate it!

Gracias!

Next Round of Basketry Classes: Three Thursdays, November 5-19, 10 -1pm.

$500 p instruction and materials--$100p deposit to reserve place in class.)

All levels of experience welcome. Beginners will learn the basic basketry techniques using natural materials gathered from the Chapala area (reeds, vines, bark). Others may wish to continue with projects already begun or learn a new technique or experiment with man-made materials such as yarn and other fibers. Some gourd work available.

Jan Steinbright is the instructor. She has had over forty years experience in fiber arts and sculpture, is a teacher and a working artist.

To register for classes: adobestudiomx@gmail.com

Thank you! I was actually able to find quite a few things here to get me started. Gracias!

Welcome to Mexico!

Art supplies:

On Marcos Castellanos in Ajijic, Efren Gonzalez has a large building including a gallery as well as a variety of art supplies.

In the mall on the Carretera, go upstairs and check out Salvador's art supplies and framing.

Art Action:

This Saturday from 5-7, in the Cultural Center on the Ajijic plaza, The Ajijic Society of the Arts is having an opening reception for their Fall members show, ongoing till the end of the first week in November.

You can join this organization, which includes painters, potters and many other art forms. All levels of skill are welcome. There is a membership meeting on the first Monday of the month at the La Bodega restaurant on 16 de Septiembre. Meeting begins at 10 a.m. and you can come as a guest at no fee. There is usually a demo after the business meeting.

Archived