Chapala.com Webboard

Canadians at Lakeside apathetic about voting

I can assure you that Revenue Canada probably knows where everyone is...

And Canadians can definitely get rabid about politics...American politics because what or who is in power affects Canada greatly...unfortunately probably more than who is in power in Canada.

You do realize that this thread will get pulled because you can't talk politics on this board...

And Canadians can definitely get rabid about politics..

I read today in the NY Times that conservatives in Canada were taking out ads saying that if the liberals win there will be"brothels in our communities".:)

In VICE News, a bylined article by David Agren about Canadians at Lakeside and voting:

"Canadians don't hold debate parties, don't let politics sour social events, and don't seem to take the subject too seriously in Ajijic."

https://news.vice.com/article/canadians-in-mexico-care-about-the-election-just-not-enough-to-vote

FWIW,

-- Don

You are aware of the differences in voter turnout in Canada and the US? US has averaged 47.7 % turnout since 1945. Canada has averaged 70.7% since 1867. Our lowest turnout on record was 58.8 % in 2008. The US voter turnout is dead last amongst the G7 nations.

Canadians who have lived abroad for more than 5 years(exceptions for military etc) are not allowed to vote in federal elections. So, though many of us at Lakeside have lost our franchise, we still enthusiastically follow the election carefully since it will inevitably have some impact on us here and certainly on our friends and families "back home".We tend to be very private about any party affiliations and respect the privacy of our fellow Canadians. Very different from US politics(we think a 78 day campaign far too long) but we do care!!!

It is one of the more suttel differences between Canadians and Americans. As a Canadian I was taught that Politics and Religion are 2 subjects that are not discussed in polite society. I have family members very involved in Federal politics and it was still not a discussion at our Christmas dinners. However we all voted at every election and a few of us even allowed signs to be put on our lawns. You do not have to shout to care.

The Sutters are a hockey family from Viking, Alberta. Be happy that Mr. P is not here to straighten you all out, including that know nothing reporter,Agren, formerly of Alberta who wrote that article.

Who is Mr.P ?

This should really increase the liberal voter turnout.

Heck, that will increase the total voter turnout!

Apparently they are also suggesting the liberals will legalize pot. Great idea!

Where do I cast my ballot? I'm hoping this is like the U.S., you really don't need to be a citizen to vote! Brothels and pot sounds like the Canucks are having a lot more fun than the U.S. bunch!

Yes I know, politics is off limits but this is just a little spoofing on a slow weekend. Don't screw it up by getting serious.

:D

Here is the web site to watch the results as they happen across Canada

It is available in both official language French / English

In the top right corner there is a little square with EN or FR just press it to watch it in either language

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/resultats-elections-canada-2015

Enjoy preferably with a good beer or liquor and a bag of chips!!!❄️❄️❄️❄️

Archived