Chapala.com Webboard

New TelMex Modems

tomgates

The $389 bill provides up to 3 mbits down. But of course it depends on where you live, the quality of your incoming phone lines, andthe modem settings. Now, I would call tech support in Mexico City (ask for an English person when you finally get through all the ads...) and tell them your speed. They will check the modem. They will also ask you to check your modem settings as they appear to you, and whether you have the proper filters in line. This is a bit of a pain, but necessary the first time.

Heck, even with 10 down I still get hiccups and stuttering, but it depends a lot on the site being viewed and the file sizes/compression. I think under normal circumstances, with 3 down, most sports streaming should be good. There are others on this board, though, who do this much more than I. TelMex Mexico City: 01-800-123-2222.

We have Telmex internet and never have problems. I just checked the speed and it was 8.07 Mbps down and 1.0 up which seems to do what we want to do. We almost never have buffering problems or outages. We have the 389.00 package with free long distance and have an older router.

Then it's time for me to call TelMex and find out why some people are getting your kind of speed for the lower contract price. Are they perhaps doing the same thing as they did when they dropped the $999 version completely... simply not telling anyone?

We have Telmex internet and never have problems. I just checked the speed and it was 8.07 Mbps down and 1.0 up which seems to do what we want to do. We almost never have buffering problems or outages. We have the 389.00 package with free long distance and have an older router.

I think that you are just..... lucky! At Lakeside, it's kinda the luck of the draw as to what kind of speeds one will get... even next door neighbors on the same plan using the same modem can get wildly different speeds. Así es la vida.

• 4 weeks later...

Although my Spanish is pretty weak, we believe Telmex has tried to deliver a new modem to us weeks ago when we were not home. I had a phone conversation with someone at Telmex about re-delivering it, but I don't think we resolved anything. Any suggestions as to how I could get the "upgraded" modem? (Or even if I should use the newer one-- the current one is a reconditioned Thomson TG585V7, getting 3.12 download and .32 upload at the moment in San Juan Cosalá.)

Your speed suggests that getting a new modem will not change anything in terms of download speed. However, all modems are free to exchange. I did do some testing with the new larger Huawei and it seems the WiFi is about 10% stronger than the previous models. Have not had a chance to do the same test with the new large black Technicolor modems.

I am in lower Riberas and the better half went and traded in our modem for a new one without consulting me. I used to get 10 MB down and 1.2 up with the $599 package. Now that she swapped modems we ony get their advertised speeds (half of what we were getting.)

4838617148.png

Which is also why it always a good idea to have more than one bedroom in the house.

The $389 bill provides up to 3 mbits down. But of course it depends on where you live, the quality of your incoming phone lines, and the modem settings. Now, I would call tech support in Mexico City (ask for an English person when you finally get through all the ads...) and tell them your speed. They will check the modem. They will also ask you to check your modem settings as they appear to you, and whether you have the proper filters in line. This is a bit of a pain, but necessary the first time.

Actually the 389.00 package is supposed to give up to 5 mbits down according to the info at the Telmex office. It will however depend on where you live. I got 3 in San Nicolas, 5 in Las Redes, Chapala and now 5 in La Canacinta. The agents at the Telmex office will be able to tell you what to expect

The web site says up to 10 mbits for the 389.00 package. Have no idea where that is. Probably DF.

They replaced both work and home modems of my friend in Ajijic. He got rid of two T types modems and received the better H type modems. It did improve his WIFI performance in his house but he was also having the infamous T modem dropouts which make the internet partially unusable. Telecable is not the greatest solution as bandwidth is shared with neighborhood on same cable. Sunday afternoon my Telecable 10 turns into 5 for most of the afternoon and evening but it beats my .8 Telmex connection sometimes. Overall I give Telecable a c- for reliability and consistency. Telmex is just slow but its consistently slow laugh out loud.

Actually the 389.00 package is supposed to give up to 5 mbits down according to the info at the Telmex office. It will however depend on where you live. I got 3 in San Nicolas, 5 in Las Redes, Chapala and now 5 in La Canacinta. The agents at the Telmex office will be able to tell you what to expect. The web site says up to 10 mbits for the 389.00 package. Have no idea where that is. Probably DF.

You're right, I hadn't looked for a couple of months. Now you can expect even up to 10 or more for the bottom price. As we know from post #29, at least one person on this thread was getting better than 8 down on the 389 plan. But the site also says you can get up to 50 for $699! Definitely time to call these people, considering the email I got a couple of weeks ago saying "the speed is improving". (Now the weblink to that email is gone, unfortunately...)

(But you are wrong about the agents at the TelMex office; they really don't know, and love to make things up to keep you happy, which most of the time means "No, impossible to get that where you live".)

Archived