Chapala.com Webboard

New TelMex Modems

tomgates

Plug Telephone wire into single jack on back of the modem labeled phone. Attach devices to normal four jacks. Turn on WIFI (button maybe, WIFI light should be on if successful). Plug electrical plug into AC plug. Wait five minutes after turning modem power on. Internet light should be lit steady. These are generic instructions. Your mileage may vary. If it doesn't work go get an old one from Telmex. If weird noises on Telephones in house install filters before phones but not before Telmex modem as filter will prevent modem from working properly. Filter removes noises from modem that might be screwing up your phone signal.

Bon Chance playing Telmex modem roulette and enjoy the game

1. All modems from TelMex work in all areas.

2. Vonage is fishing for answers when they tell you to turn off the firewall in the modem, which is your first line of defense. Second line of defense is Windows' own firewall. If the firewall were a problem, no one would be able to use Vonage, and lots of people do.

If the firewall has gotten confused, any settings that are corrupt in a modem can be fixed (unless the firmware inside the modem is actually corrupt, which happens more frequently that one would suspect with TelMex's modems) by resetting the modem.

We had here in Pátzcuaro what I think is the "new modem" you're talking about. Over the summer a thunderstorm cooked that modem, and when my husband took it back to Telmex in September they told him that these modems have been unreliable and that they were using an older model again. Despite the fact that my husband liked the capabilities of the new modem, we now have a version of the old one. He said that when he went to Telmex there was a pile of the new modems in the corner.

This is not my area of expertise, so I may have gotten some of the details wrong. However, we now have the old modem and it works fine. Another issue is that our download speed has dropped from 10 to 2, but that's a subject for another post.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

"Telmext told me not all modems work at all locations". Regardless, I repeat my statement. I am referring, of course, to lakeside, as well as folks I talk to in Puerto Vallarta and other locations in Nayarit. When you are order a modem directly from Mexico City, they send the same ones we use. It is possible that they are marked by state, but I highly doubt it. The work to change the infrastructure and the modem internal software would be overwhelming... and not very bright.

Nancy in CO: please tell me the name and model number of the modem you are using in Pátzcuaro. I believe a simple phone call to TelMex in the D.F. will uncover that your parameters need to be reset (in particular S/N ratio), and that will correct your problem.

Our TelMex employees here would never admit to shortcomings with any modem model; however, I know from experience that the last four distinct models have been pretty unreliable, with the sole exception (most of the time) of the Huawei brand. I am curious if the guy you spoke to was referring to either the new Technicolor or the new Huawei.

We're working with the local Telmex guys here in Pátzcuaro, and we hope that by tomorrow they'll have figured it out. They solved the signal to noise ratio and now they have to find out why we're not getting the speed we're paying for. We've determined that the problem is not here in the house, so it's in their hands now.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

In West Ajijic (at this moment)

With Telecable (452 pesos per month)

4758743602.png

With Telmex at this moment (599 pesos per month)

4758727619.png

The upload speed is important for voip because it is what your friends and family hear on their end of the phone.

To determine the speed that Telmex has assigned me, I enter my modem via my keyboard and look. Because I have an older Thomsen modem I have go, while surfing the net, enter 192.168.1.254. And when I do and link to DSL settings I come up with the following which I just copied from my computer screen.

Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]: 959 / 12.542

No I do not expect to get that much or high speed rather I get about 85% thereof under ideal condition. sometimes like right now I get

4758732139.png

I have the $599 package. I am lucky, I have all new wires in my house and according to Telmex I am only 1080 or so meters from their office where they have the DSLAM card connecting me to the internet and that the wires on the streets leading to my house are all new.

If you live too far away or if the wiring in the street or your home is old, chances are that your speeds will be much slower than those set in your modem by Telmex.

Telecable seems way faster than TelMex. In Ajijic Centro, TelMex for me is 4.25dn/.46up to 6.58/.34

Telecable is faster than Telmex SOMETIMES. The fact of the matter is that Telecable can cut out for no reason OR it can slow down to a crawl...and the same is true of Telmex.

That's why I have both...and switch between them probably four times a day.

Also remember that Telmex will set the download speed in your modem different than your neighbor even though you have the same package.

Or put another way, if everyone at the $599 package has one speed, and then when Telmex upgrades to a higher speed, it would appear that they slowly upgrade a few clients at a time.

Telcel offers faster packages, as I recollect up to 15 down by 2 up. It's just that they seem to have more internet interruptions than Telmex in my neighborhood.

I wish I knew what governed TelMex's decisions, Pete, on these built-in settings. But I do know you can call and ask if your settings are correct for your contract. (Assuming most people can't or don't want to get into the modem software.)

Took the test twice at speed of me:

1) .96 download, .58 upload 960kbps down and 50 kbps up

2) .71 download, 1.15 upload 710 kbps down, 160 kbps up

Quite a difference and appears very low compared to others I see. Guess that explains why my live sports continually buffer as well as Netflix.

What's next?

Property manager pays the telmex bill, so I guess I need to find out what package we have. Wife says she thinks it's around $400 per month.

Archived