Chapala.com Webboard

voip suggestions

mike7129a

I've been very happy with Google Voice over the past year through South America, and now here.

It probably requires more tech savvy to setup and work with, but it has some strong benefits.

No monthly or annual costs

Zero cost for calls/texts to the USA

Can be used from computers and cell phones

Can be used on the go via cell phone with a good enough data connection, or wifi access

For me, the headaches and hassles of the setup and usage are worth it, but it's certainly something to consider.

We have used Primus for the last 9yrs, about 15C$ monthly really cheap long distance. Nice small lite box, goes everywhere in the world with us. Have been looking at OOMA available at Best Buy. Cheaper monthly a few more perks that I may not really need. The in-laws are testing it out for us as we speak.

www.ooma.com/

I've been very happy with Google Voice over the past year through South America, and now here.

It probably requires more tech savvy to setup and work with, but it has some strong benefits.

No monthly or annual costs

Zero cost for calls/texts to the USA

Can be used from computers and cell phones

Can be used on the go via cell phone with a good enough data connection, or wifi access

For me, the headaches and hassles of the setup and usage are worth it, but it's certainly something to consider.

Sent you a PM

Net Talk and you can buy five years worth and not have to deal with it. Good Hardware, Worked much better than magic jack. Works perfectly on my stinky slow Telmex .8 download speed DSL service. Plug module into modem and wait one minute and plug phone into Net talk module and dialtone. Skype has its merits also in my opinion.

Have used Primus Talk Broadband here for years but have switched to Ooma (slightly larger box) that incudes a conventional answering machine. More features, better pricing even with the premier package. Just returned from Canada from Canada plugged the Ooma in and all systems go. High quality voice. Would recommend it.

I love the Magic Jack. After using a few of the others which charged me by the month and, I assumed, gave me better service because they were charging me so much, I tried the Magic Jack and never looked back. It does everything I need and more (I have the app on my IPhone as well). I still use Skype occasionally if someone calls me on it but never initiate a call.

Archived