Chapala.com Webboard

Some newbie questions

circa81

Are there any prepackaged egg sandwiches for sale in grocery stores? how much do chauffeurs cost? are there any forests nearby for hiking? are there any inexpensive ways to learn how to drive, such as instructors? Can I buy or rent video games? is there games for rent in the video stores there? How much do they cost? Are there any DVR services available? What about closed captioning? How fast is the internet there; fast enough for live streaming? Thanks.

"Prepackaged egg sandwiches"?

"Inexpensive ways to learn how to drive"?

You're pulling our collective leg,aren't you??

El Bosque de la China is good for hiking and yes you can rent or buy video games here.

Are you in Ajijic? If you are, there are hiking trails at the end of Colon St and Encarnacion Street. The last will take up to the Waterfall called El Tepalo. Follow the street which is the one going by the Guadalajara Pharmacy to the top, stay on the right and it will take you to the beginning of the trail. Also, at the end of Colon the trail will take you to the Chapel and many other hiking trails.

If you mean private chauffeurs there are several. The cost to the airport by private car cost me around 500 pesos a year ago.

Most people buy games and videos at several places in town since they are all pirate copies. I do not rent videos or games so I have no ideas of cost but must likely much cheaper than NOB.

I have not found closed captioning and would like to since I am hard of hearing and I use Sky Satellite.

Internet here supposedly is as fast as you can afford but it really does not work that way. I have Telmex Infinitum and supposed to have 5Megas but never reads more than 1. It is Mexico and thing do not work all the time.

Hope I have answered all your questions. If not I am sure somebody else will.

Good luck

If this isn't a spammer, my spamaradar is malfunctioning.

Mistermister gets an award for being kind to strays.

If by chance this is for real, I'd suggest the OP goes on a web search or even (gasp) the public library to get some answers about living in Mexico before wondering about egg sandwiches. :unsure:

The internet is most of the time reliable depending on your location of course and which provider you have, and is definitely fast enough for streaming. The telecable here is similar to US cable packages having many of the same channels you would get in the US. If you have sap, most flat screens have sap now, you can switch the audio from spanish to english. In the many markets or tianguis they sell pirated movies and probably video games. Or you can just go to Guadalajara which is just down the road and go to visit the many malls that are here. Many of the malls have Bestbuy, Game Planet, and the Applestore. If you go to the malls, especially Galerias Mall, you would swear that you are back in the USA, many of the stores are the same, and the foodcourt has most of the same restaurants. Mexico is Mexico, YES! But it still has most of the same conveniences as any big city in the USA. There is also, Applebees, Outback Steakhouse, Chilis, Home Depot, Office Max, Sears, Wal-Mart, Petco, etc. Most of the chain stores and chain restaurants that you see in the USA can be found in Guadalajara. The bus ticket from Chapala to Gdl is under 3 bucks or 50 pesos.

The broadband connections are variable. Your location, distance from the server, is critical for getting decent speed. See my typical speed results. Search this forum for internet speed and you'll see the wide ranging complaints. There are many threads on it.

4743218520.png

Now for me, that means I can play an MMO and stay connected generally. Raiding can be problematic. Weekends, when the usage increases and more people start streaming movies... not so much. Huge lag and periodic disconnects. Obviously with results like that, top notch guilds are out of the question. Can you live stream or play more demanding on line games? Well, not where I live. Twitch reflexes required? I'm laughing here - with you, not at you. :) D3 hardcore, as an example? Unplayable during prime time and that starts in the afternoon. Not sure about the requirements for live streaming, but I'd sure check carefully before assuming that you can.

I don't think there are video rentals. As people have indicated, lots of pirated games. Generally, gaming PCs are rare and not available locally. From the kids I've talked to, Mexicans tend to use Xboxes for gaming.

Edit: I just read dichosalocura's positive answer above. For general internet usage, the broadband here is adequate. For the demands of gaming, your location is critical. You'll see that some people report dl speeds of 10 mbs. That's top for this area. For me, in my sad little dreams. Telmex told me not to bother to ask for higher priced faster service, because they can't deliver it to my location in San Antonio Tlay.

Telmex or the phone company has DSL from 3 to 10 download speed. For 3 and telephone it is 400P/month. Telecable has higher speeds with cable modem but can go up or down as the neighborhood loads up the internet. 10 download speed from Telecable no bundle is 600P/mo. Phone bundle also available. I have both in my house and leave the slow DSL to run my VOIP phone and use the cable modem for computer work. Sometimes both are down but not often. If you can afford it I suggest having both if internet is a priority in life. Total performance is not as good as up north but getting better over time. We have a new thick coax going in Lakeside and higher speeds may come somewhat soon. DSL seems to be stuck with infrastructure problems as they don't seem to be upgrading at all. DSL gets very slow as you get away from DSL switch. I run less than one but its stable even in the rain. Yes rain seems to get in the wiring boxes and they have to open them and let them dry out. Prefer if speed is equal to have DSL over cable modem but I bet this will change. In Guad they are starting to have 30 download speeds in some neighborhoods. Since two big cable companies are merging I expect higher speeds lakeside within a year hopefully. They are now starting to cut neighborhoods over to the new cable in Ajijic at least. Oh yea bring down a good router/switch WIFI with removable antenna and bring down some external antenna. It helps you punch thru the thick walls here. Stuff like this is more expensive here. Also understand in Mexico prices roughly 15% is added into the price on the shelf. They don't add at the end like sales tax. External antenna routers work better than internal antenna in Telmex router for example.

Good LUck

Remaining items:
- " how much do chauffeurs cost? "
Depends on: who provides the car and if you hire them on a full-time (a mozo who drives) basis, or just as-needed.

- " are there any inexpensive ways to learn how to drive, such as instructors? "

Yes, but I have not used them, so others who've used local instructors should give personal recommendations.

in lieu of personal referrals:
http://36autoescuelas.mx/autoescuela/chapala-centro

paginas.seccionamarilla.com.mx/escuela-de-manejo-americas/escuelas-de-manejo/jalisco/guadalajara/-/americana/

http://escueladelvalle.com/

Escuela de Manejo Américas

Unión 59
Col. Americana
Guadalajara, Jalisco 44160

Sounds like a young person not a spammer.

All the concerns you have circa81 (in your posting) you can put to rest. All of it is available. Your attitude and willingness to accept the Mexican way will determine how happy you'll be in your new environment. Mexican culture is most likely very different then the one you coming from and sometimes not easy to get used to .

I guess my question is "How do you find this web board and not know to try Google first?" I almost never try google for info without getting way more info than I wanted. Way more. I agree with other posters. The OP can not be serious when the first question on her list is egg sandwich availability. I would have inquired about pizza and then never moved here when I got the answer.

Sounds like a young person not a spammer.

Agreed, Egg sammies are srs bsns. If there's any moral here, maybe it's don't ask a bunch of questions when you're hungry. :)

Lots of people use drivers down here. A good one is Louis. You can email him at miramontes-transfer@hotmail.com for rates and to set up services.

Archived