Chapala.com Webboard

ATM card - seven digit

Jerry

I use a Canadian issued bank card with 6 digit PIN at the Scotiabank ATM - no problem. The Mexican ATM cards I have had only used 4 digits and were OK. I don't know about your 7 digit - you'll find out as soon as you stick it in a machine here.

About 7 years ago I had a 6 digit PIN on my bank ATM card and it did not work in Paris as the ATMs would only accept a 4 digit PIN. If you are travelling it would be a good idea to check to see what local ATMs will accept. When I returned to Canada I changed to a 4 digit PIN.

If you are going to use it locally to check it out, I would strongly suggest you go to one of the ATMs that swipes rather than takes in the card. If the pin doesn't work and confuses the machine, you card could be eaten by the machine and thenit is very hard to get back.

If you are going to use it locally to check it out, I would strongly suggest you go to one of the ATMs that swipes rather than takes in the card. If the pin doesn't work and confuses the machine, you card could be eaten by the machine and thenit is very hard to get back.

Neither the Scotia machine by Hernandez Real Estate and the Banamex machine (to the right of the Bancomer machine) in Walmart make the card disappear completely. So you should be able to remove it if there is a problem.

Cards “eaten“ by ATM machines usually happen when one is having trouble reading the screen and is too slow. The transaction may be tried a second or third time, but multiple attempts may trigger a card being held as a security measure. It cannot be returned by the host location; only by your own bank, which will investigate and issue a replacement card.

So, if you are a “newbie“ and unfamiliar with Mexican ATMs, either have a friend help you, or practice just once. Then wait a day or find a machine that only requires you to swipe your card, rather than insert it.

For newbies, something we learned the hard way when we were down there a couple of years ago: the first time I used my ATM card hours after arriving there is that the sequence of actions with the machine there was different from our bank up here.

At our bank, you must remove your card before the machine will dispense your cash. The first time I used a machine down there, I was tired from the long drive down and not exactly thinking straight and automatically took my money and walked away, leaving my card in the machine. It was at the HSBC branch in Chapala. We went back the next day but they automatically destroy cards left in the machines.

Fortunately, my wife had her card with her, because when I informed our bank, they said that they could only send a new card to our home address.

Just a heads up if anyone else's home bank machines are the same as ours.

Archived