Chapala.com Webboard

Drive In- Fly Out on Tourist Visa?

Sarita

Question: If one drives their foreign-plated vehicle down into Mexico, applies for residency (currently called Temporary?) then needs to leave for a few weeks to return home for an urgent situation, ie, family business, can they do so by flying or would they have to drive their car back out? Can they get a letter to leave temporarily by plane and not get big crap for it when they return or have it affect their future status? Just trying to forsee any possible future issues for someone with elderly parent that he is still responsible for back NOB. Thanks.

OK the process starts at a Mexican consul north of the border where one must initiate the temporary visa. They then must stop at the border, initiate the visa process with appropriate stamps and pick up a car permit. Immediately upon arriving at the destination in Mexico they must finalize the temporary visa through an INM office. If coming here that can be done at the one in Chapala.

Unlike an FMT (tourist permit) holder a temporary resident permit holder can travel back to the U.S. by air and leave the car here. HOWEVER they should not go until they've completed the Temporary Resident Visa process here and have that card in hand.

As noted here there is a caveat about that: http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=58250

The car permit remains valid as long as the Temporary Resident Visa remains valid HOWEVER Aduana must be notified in writing about extending the car permit EACH time the Temporary Resident Visa is renewed.

I have no idea if it is possible to leave the country before the final processing of the Temporary Resident Visa is complete. Someone like Spencer should be consulted if that might be necessary.

You cannot "legally" exit Mexico without removing your vehicle at the same time if you are on a Tourist permit still. You would have to wait until you have your Resident Temporal card in hand.

You can do this as long as you have a Resident Temporal and extended the expiry date of your TIP to expire at the same time as the expiry date of your Resident Temporal. I have done it many times without any issue. Just make sure to completed the FMT form upon departure from Mexico by plane and turn the other half in upon your return.

The consular approval for a residence permit is a “canje“ placed in your passport. It has the same status as a tourist permit, so you cannot fly out and leave your car in Mexico. Also, you must report to INM within 30 days of crossing the border. You will turn in your canje and begin the process of getting your actual visa. During that time, you may travel witnin Mexico, but may not leave the country without a special letter, limited to a specific 60 day maximum, intended for emergencies. You must take your car with you, as you still do not have an actual visa card.

As soon as you are called in to be fingerprinted, the clock starts ticking off the 15 day Aduana notification requirement for your car. If late, the car becomes illegal. Spencer, at Ajijic Law, can help you to meet this deadline with the apropriate letter in Spanish, etc.

If you are not ready to stay in Mexico as a resident, you might want to consider delaying your application for a visa until you can stay through the entire process. Then, with visa in hand, you will be free to come and go with or without your car.

It is true, horsefeathers are a myth.

A soon as you step out of Mexico, your FMM tourist permit is void. Therefore, your car importada temporal is also void and the car, if left in Mexico, is illegal. If involved in an accident causing serious damage, injury or death, it may be confiscated, the owner/driver jailed and insurance invalid because of the technical illegality of the vehicle. It can be a real mess.

I suspect there are many illegal vehicles being driven by expats, who are blissfully unaware of this.

It is true, horsefeathers are a myth. In your world it seems.

A soon as you step out of Mexico, your FMM tourist permit is void. True, but totally unenforceable on the northern border. Therefore, your car importada temporal is also void and the car, if left in Mexico, is illegal. The permit is for 180 days and you can legally leave your vehicle, surrender your FMM and walk across the Belize border, return and buy another FMM for 180 days and drive off. That border is the only one that makes you surrender your FMM. Checked with the folks at the border and they said that the permit was for the car and only tied to the original FMM in its duration. If involved in an accident causing serious damage, injury or death, it may be confiscated, the owner/driver jailed and insurance invalid because of the technical illegality of the vehicle. WHAT? The car is parked and I am in another country. It can be a real mess Back in your world I suspecs there are many illegal vehicles being driven by expats, who are blissfully unaware of this. Ya buddy, where is the proof, homespun logic don't fly?

The OP was asking about the period after application at a consulate, receiving a “canje“ but not yet issued an actual visa. During that time, the applicant is equivalent to a tourist permit; not yet a resident and not yet eligible to leave a car in Mexico. In fact, he would need INM permission to leave by any means. Upon issuance of the actual visa, there is a ticking clock for the car, as Aduana must be notified within 15 days of the change of status with a request to match the Importada Temporal to the new visa expiration date.

No, Sumofabit, a tourist permit is not a multiple entry document, even though some border agents in the free zone ignore it and some expats take advantage of it.

No, Sumofabit, a tourist permit is not a multiple entry document, even though some border agents in the free zone ignore it and some expats take advantage of it.

I didn't say it was, but the TIP is. The best thing is nobody cares about the TIP as it has to be turned in before it expires. Nobody checks that it is your TIP to turn in.

What if you leave the country by car and return before your Temporary Resident visa (and your TIP) expire? Do you keep the TIP on your car or cancel it and get a new one on your return (assuming you are leaving Mexico for more than simply a few days or weeks)?

What if you leave the country by car and return before your Temporary Resident visa (and your TIP) expire? Do you keep the TIP on your car or cancel it and get a new one on your return (assuming you are leaving Mexico for more than simply a few days or weeks)?

I keep a TIP on my car and travel on it to Mexico several times within that time frame. I get a tourist visa when I will penetrate beyond the border zone. I have checked with the validity of my method only top be reassured that there is no problem. The only people that say otherwise use the legal reference of, "it's the law". The law is never referenced.

The real problem is not being able to return your car to Mexico. If you failed to cancel your TIP upon departure and your car was stolen, wrecked or you just happened to trade it for another, you could not import another NoB car into Mexico.

If you look at your FMM, it indicates your method of transportation when crossing into Mexico, as does the computer record. If you look at your TIP, it will indicate your INM status. Yes, they do keep track, but enforcement is very lax; until you have an accident, stolen car, or such. Also, read your insurance policy. Most require that the car be legally in Mexico in order to be valid.

There are Catch=22 situations. Try to avoid them.

Next topic.....

Sorry, I am visually impaired and have to use voice to read stuff on the computer now, which it cannot do in Spanish. So, please go to the Aduana and SAT sites yourself, instead of insisting on being scofflaws and argumentative, while waiting for someone else to do your homework for you. Otherwise, please drive whatever you wish, wherever you wish and have an accident at the earliest possible date. It will answer your questions. One can hope.

I agree no references.

I have posted the ADUANA and INM links with the latest rules several times on 2 Mexico forums including here with Google translations that RV has read and we discussed in detail several times. If you do a search here in this forum you will find them. RV is correct.

Thanks Alan. There seem to be more and more who insist on written proof. Many of us have lived in Mexico for decades, read the laws in Spanish after learning how to do so, and have years of experience with how things work. As such, I have run out of patience with those who reject the experiences of others. So, let them learn the language and search out the laws and rules for themselves. Until then, many could not even get a driving license without help. Asi es la vida, creo.......ni modo.

So, please go to the Aduana and SAT sites yourself, bla, bla, bla

As I have said before, but if you have a visual disability I guess you missed it, I have visited with them and found:

The tourist permit is not a multi-entry and its duration becomes the maximum time for a TIP, but the use of "tie" is overstated in that you can keep the vehicle in the country for the term of it.

The insurance ramifications as stated are hogwash. Keep scaring the little ladies they will be uninsured while papa flies out of the country.

Sumofabit...when YOU provide the link to the Spanish Referenced Law that agrees with YOU, then the matter will be put to rest.

If a car is brought into Mexico on a tourist visa by the owner of that car and said owner wants to leave Mexico, then said car must leave with the owner. The car is not legally in the country unless the owner is also legally in the country.

Please note that we are talking specifically about a TOURIST VISA not any other type of immigration status.

Archived