Chapala.com Webboard

FYI: Fabric store in Ocotlan

holdrja

The fabric stores I know of lakeside:

The one in Ajijic across the street from Farmacia Guadalajara, almost all manta. Some fabric at the mercería on Juarez.

A couple of tiny ones in Chapala, including the one near the bus station, all acrylic.

The fabric warehouse just off the Carretera to Guad near Iztlahuacan. This IS pretty fabulous, huge place, buy by the kilogram, a lot of cotton, mostly acrylic.

After that, you have to be bound for Guad.

The fabric stores I know of lakeside:

The one in Ajijic across the street from Farmacia Guadalajara, almost all manta. Some fabric at the mercería on Juarez.

A couple of tiny ones in Chapala, including the one near the bus station, all acrylic.

The fabric warehouse just off the Carretera to Guad near Iztlahuacan. This IS pretty fabulous, huge place, buy by the kilogram, a lot of cotton, mostly acrylic.

After that, you have to be bound for Guad.

Thanks. My sarcasm button didn't get highlighted. :) That one near Iztlahuacan is good. Otherwise, the local selection of fabrics is pretty dismal.

Holdjra, can you share with us what kinds of fabric are at the Ocotlán store? Natural fiber fabric or just acrylic? All Mexican fabric or from other countries as well (Guatemala, etc.)? Just manta or fabric from other regions of Mexico?

Thank you for your post.

Holdjra, can you share with us what kinds of fabric are at the Ocotlán store? Natural fiber fabric or just acrylic? All Mexican fabric or from other countries as well (Guatemala, etc.)? Just manta or fabric from other regions of Mexico?

Thank you for your post.

As I said, my housekeeper picked up the fabric. I have not been to the store and do not know what it has available.

Great fabric stores in Lakeside? Are they in hiding?

Totally agree with Sea. As someone who sews for Needlepushers there is very little to be found here at Lakeside in the way of fabrics, at least that interests me. I go to the local stores for notions, trims, etc. but have yet to find any fabric there I'd remotely be interested in, whether for children or myself. The Retaceria Hernandez on the Chapala-Guadalajara highway just beyond the La Barca exit can have some interesting fabrics but you have to work hard to find them on those pallets. The fabric there is sold by the kilo. Check for flaws as often the fabrics are damaged. The best place for fabrics I have found in Guadalajara is Centro Mercantil Villanueva Calle Pedro Buzeta 409 in Santa Teresita. Nice selection of cottons as you walk in plus a whole lot of other choices. They do close from 2:00-4:00. I also go to the Parisina on the corner of Avenida Chapultepec and Avenida Mexico, just across from Bodega Aurerra, for certain things, including popatina (cotton/poly blend) in solid colors, border prints, and trims. Santa Teresita starts just behind the Bodega Aurerra. Another great place for trims, buttons, yarn, etc. is Merceria Santa Teresita at Juan Alvarez 1564 in Santa Teresita. There is a fabric store next door but they also close for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

It is pretty far past Iztlahuacan. Keep driving north, past the junction with the La Barca road. You'll be going up a long hill and on the left side of the highway you will see a large modern warehouse / plant / complex; across from it, at the crest, is a road going east. The warehouse is located more or less on the corner, big yellow? building.

Fabrics are remnants (sometimes big remnants), sold in folded flat pieces, stacked on pallets. It is a lot of work, but there are treasures.

BTW, anybody know where I can get cotton denim? (no blends please)

My seamstress found denim in Chapala. No idea the quality, although it made a fine dog bed cover. Probably is some type of blend now that I think about it.

If you order from Amazon, check into the fabrics there. Some interesting cottons, but you have to search around to find them. Lots of crafty type things, quilting packs to dig through also. All kinds of denim. To order continuous yards, increase the number of "items" for the fabric. 1 = 1 yard, 2 = 2 yards etc. That's if it's not obviously cut into squares or some thing similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived