Chapala.com Webboard

Can we buy these products lakeside?

klutzy

Two of the easiest things in the world to make at home are mayonaise and penut butter. You can control the flavors, consistency or crunchiness, etc. and save some pesos.

Yes, regular mayonaise and cheerios were on our shopping list and we enjoyed them in Mexico for some 13 years. Soriana was our favorite supermarket before Walmart. Before that, we often shopped at Surtidor with monthly trips to Costco for the big stuff.

You will adapt and find excellent substitutes for your old brands, and your diet may change to a more flavorful cuisine as you discover Mexican flavors and subtleties.

If you are concerned about wheat and corn in your dog food bring it with you You can get high end food that does not have corn wheat etc but it is very expensive Canned high end food will average 45 - 50 pesos a tin. 6 months of chicken livers will leave your dog malnourished. You can bring unopened dog food in by car.

I order my dog treats from the US and cat treats. I guess Mexicans do not believe in treating cats as there are none at all. However, there is a Petco on Lopez Mateo in Guadalajara. Next trip in I am going to check and see what they have. I bet you might be able to get puperoni there. It is a big seller in the US.

You can never totally depend on other people's experiences to predict your own with certainty. It seems that what happens to you and your things depends on the law at the moment you cross, the law as perceived by the person inspecting your car, what phase the moon is in and if the border guard had a fight with his wife that morning and you look amazingly like her.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, we arrived last week, missed all the tianguis, but I was able to find almost everything on my list at Super Lake, including Adams peanut butter, BF mayo without lime, and unscented laundry soap! It's Seventh Generation brand in a brown paper bottle, and I am shocked at how clean it gets the clothes; it actually works better than the Cheer I've been using. They also had Modelo Negra beer, which the liquor store next door did not. The one thing they didn't have was salted butter, which seems odd, but I got some at Lilyfher along with some Cabot cheese and cinnamon rolls, yum! I didn't pay attention to prices, too tired to care after a long trip.

Hi all, we arrived last week, missed all the tianguis, but I was able to find almost everything on my list at Super Lake, including Adams peanut butter, BF mayo without lime, and unscented laundry soap! It's Seventh Generation brand in a brown paper bottle, and I am shocked at how clean it gets the clothes; it actually works better than the Cheer I've been using. They also had Modelo Negra beer, which the liquor store next door did not. The one thing they didn't have was salted butter, which seems odd, but I got some at Lilyfher along with some Cabot cheese and cinnamon rolls, yum! I didn't pay attention to prices, too tired to care after a long trip.

Welcome! Glad it worked out. Not paying a lot of attention to prices is a good way to shop at Superlake. And I'm not putting them down, because if you're particular a lot of the time they are your only resource. As far as the salted butter, after you get used to Superlake, sometimes imported items are in short supply and usually they'll pop up the next week or so. Sometimes you'll see something, Dr. Bronner's soaps come to mind, that you won't see again for 2 years.

Welcome. Once you get settled in you should make a mecca to Costco in Guadalajara. There are three so check it out on Google Maps before you go. Driving in the Guad metro area can be strike that, IS intimidating so many opt for the one in the southernmost part of Zapopan. Officially... Costco Guadalajara López Mateos, Nueva Galicia, La Tijera.

Here is a link to it on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Costco+Guadalajara+L%C3%B3pez+Mateos/@20.5787006,-103.4514811,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8428aca7a3895bf5:0x43ef7042ebdb028c

You go west to Jocotepec and then north on highway 15, which merges with highway 80. You have to drive through Joco now because the bypass is still under repair I think. Haven't see anyone say that it's open.

As I said, it can be intimidating the first few time you drive into Guad, so as you make friends you might ask if they are planning a trip to Costco and if you could ride along. Or use the Lakeside Express delivery service here... http://www.lakesideexpress.com/costco/

Since you are here for only 6 months THIS TIME (you will be back), sticking with Super Lake might be your best bet. There is a pet food superstore in Riberas (about 1/2 way between Ajijic and Chapala) right next to Parker Insurance. It is on the right (lakeside) when you are heading east. They have an amazing array of foods, treats, and other products. You might try the Zuke's treats. Our dog loved those in the US and here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome and tips! :) Now that I have most of the basics, I look forward to tomorrow's tianguis, and I'll try the one today too. I'll try the pet food place in Riberas too. I have to avoid Costco or I will come home with gigundo boxes of junk food!

Welcome. Once you get settled in you should make a mecca to Costco in Guadalajara. There are three so check it out on Google Maps before you go. Driving in the Guad metro area can be strike that, IS intimidating so many opt for the one in the southernmost part of Zapopan. Officially... Costco Guadalajara López Mateos, Nueva Galicia, La Tijera.

Here is a link to it on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Costco+Guadalajara+L%C3%B3pez+Mateos/@20.5787006,-103.4514811,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8428aca7a3895bf5:0x43ef7042ebdb028c

There are only two Costco stores in Guadalajara

I agree that you will find the majority of the items Lakeside. You might have to shop around a while, but most are available.

You will find that you will have three shopping lists. 1 for the stuff you know is available Lakeside. 2 a list for the stuff you will get at Costco / Guadalajara and 3 a list of stuff you'll bring down the next trip you go NOB.

The NOB list gets smaller over time as you try other products as substitutes and find that they are acceptable.

Archived