Chapala.com Webboard

Sleeping pill for dog on very long flight

Ofcourse, I will definetely check with the vet first, but does anybody have any experience with giving a light sleeping pill to a dog on a long flight ? I am taking her to Belgium and normally she can travel with me in the cabin, but I like to be prepared for in case, they would decide to put her with the luggage. A couple of years ago, I noticed that this was pretty hard on her (and on me too,..... I would have preferred to go in the crate with her). I will probably be gone for quite some time and therefore, I need my dog with me.

I hear different reactions..... some are against it, others tried it without any problems.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rony

I have brought my dog in the cabin with me and given her a tranquilizer. She slept a lot, she was nervous so this was kind to her. IF she had to go in cargo I would NEVER tranquilize her. Should the be turbulence she would not be able too stabilize or balance herself. Very dangerous. I also use to work for a major airline and checked many pets. This info comes from people who travel with pets frequently. Hope you can take her in the cabin. Check tthis see which airlines will allow her in the cabin.

I have brought my dog in the cabin with me and given her a tranquilizer. She slept a lot, she was nervous so this was kind to her. IF she had to go in cargo I would NEVER tranquilize her. Should the be turbulence she would not be able too stabilize or balance herself. Very dangerous. I also use to work for a major airline and checked many pets. This info comes from people who travel with pets frequently. Hope you can take her in the cabin. Check tthis see which airlines will allow her in the cabin.

So that is the reason why some people are against it (tranquilizer in cargo). Great website. Thanks ! So far, Delta has been good to me (about keeping her in the cabin with me), but you never know.

Archived