Chapala.com Webboard

My propane tank refill(not) adventure yesterday.

KathyTX

Yesterday, I took the propane tank from our grill to the refill station across from El Torito. I was told No llenado and got the impression that one can't get these tanks refilled there anymore. He told me to go to Santa Cruz. So I did. They said they couldn't fit it, though it seemed to fit at one point and I could hear gas going into the tank. They took me over to look at other tanks, that they said were equal(where the hose attaches). That confused me; if it was equal then it shouldn't work at their pump either. I finally just gave up and left with my nearly empty tank.

We have refilled this tank at both places before, with no problems, even though it's an American tank. My Spanish is limited, especially when I'm flustered. I felt like I was being duped at Santa Cruz but I don't know. I don't know if I was getting the run around because I was a SWF alone(at Santa Cruz). But that's what it felt like.

So my questions:

Has anyone else experienced this lately? Is there anywhere else around here, even towards Joco or in Guad where I can get it refilled? Should I get a little adapter to attach to the tank and where would I find that? Thanks for your help.

I believe Strom only handles this service for their clients. I experienced a similar problem years ago in the states. That one had to do with a thread change. Maybe there has been a change like that here because I can't even imagine the folks in Santa Cruz giving you the proverbial runaround. Have you considered having a line run from the existng line in your house directly to your grill?

US 5 gallon propane tanks have a triangle shaped handle on them. This shape means it has an OPD valve on it to prevent overfilling. Mexican tank handle is round and does not have an OPD valve. Threads are different on both types of tanks so get a Mexican tank and you will need a new cable for the BBQ or Heater to fit Mexican tank.

Sorry don't know what they use in Canada.

One thing works for me, now that I don't have a direct connection to my rooftop gas tank for my BBQ: I get the tall tanks... they are easy to replace by taking delivery at your house (once you find a phone number that actuall answers! which I finally did). The local hardware stores carry the hoses with proper fittings to convert to a NOB BBQ. Lasts a lot longer than the small tanks.

My propane space heater canister is filled by the same man who fills my rooftop gas tank. I have used Juan for years, same as Julie: 333 971 0630. Perhaps Juan is able to fill your propane tank for your grill. Call and ask him.

Lexy

My propane space heater canister is filled by the same man who fills my rooftop gas tank. I have used Juan for years, same as Julie: 333 971 0630. Perhaps Juan is able to fill your propane tank for your grill. Call and ask him.

Lexy

Even if Juan can't refill your tank, it's worth calling him just to ask him to stop by to see what he can do and to meet him. He's not only very nice but good-looking too. He's my regular gas guy!

Kathy, all these helpful posters have hopefully been of use in solving your propane problem. I know things can be really frustrating to try to accomplish in Mexico, but I seriously doubt that anyone was giving you a run-around. What would be the point of refusing to sell you something if they were able to?

Hey Kathy, I have had our tank refilled at least three times at the gas place across from El Torito and had no problems. There is an adaptor that is required and they have one but maybe the guy on duty didn't know how to use it or find it. I had to show them how to fill the tank all three times because the OPD tanks have a slot screw that has to be opened to let the lighter air out as the heavier gas is pumped in. Otherwise it won't let the gas in or air out. When you see the gas come out the top you turn the screw in and turn off the gas. The first few times you use the newly refilled tank your grill will probably be hard to light. What you have to do is just barely crack open the tank handle, light the grill on low flame and once burning, slowly open the valve the rest of the way. You can leave the valve open and light the grill next time normally. Even if the hose is cut with the valve open only a little propane will escape before the tank OPD valve cuts the flow. After the level of gas in the tank drops some you can turn off the valve on the tank and relighting next time will be easy even if you open the valve fully. The gas company has a fixed charge for the ten or twenty pound cylinders so you might as well let it run out before refilling it. Call me if you need help. Alan

Call Oscar, we've used him for 4 years, honest and reliable. He will come to your home and fill the tank. He's done it for us many times. If the fitting is truly not compatible he will tell you so. He speaks English well. 331 487 6533. Tell him Michael referred you.

Unlike the guy who turns up at your door at 8 am (this morning) in a noisy truck, sets off his vehicle alarm, then rings your bell. And when you don't answer, he starts yelling out. I wouldn't give this guy business if my only cooking tool was my gas BBQ.

Hi all,

I should call this 'What a difference a day makes!'

I went back to La Cruz today, with the intention of exchanging my tank for a new one. The man there today looked at it and said "Oh no, Es bueno", and had me drive over to the refill area. Another young man hooked up the very same attachment that the other guys couldn't and now I have a full tank. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. Maybe the others were new or just couldn't admit they didn't know what to do. Anyway, it did make me laugh.

I would buy an adapter if I were you if you want to keep your foreign OPD tanks. Agreed with other posters best to hook these things up to the big tank on room. I have one heater and BBQ done this way and two heaters with tanks so I can move them around house or loan one to very cold newbie laugh out loud. If you hook heaters up directly leave tank in heater or it becomes unbalanced. No tank put some weight where the tank was for safety. Don't ignore this!

Archived