Chapala.com Webboard

Rich's Corned Beef

CBGUY

I stopped by Rich's place on Ocampo to get some more Corned Beef and saw a sign that said that he and his wife Heidi were moving their shop up to the Plaza by the Ice Cream store. Looked in today and, believe it or not, actually saw Rich working! He said that they will be open in a few days and he will still be selling his Corned Beef....cool, even closer to home!

He goes by Rick, but Google tells us that Rick is short for Richard... so... there aren't too many places around here to get Corned Beef. I don't think Smitty is still doing it. The "pastrami" at CostCo isn't what I know as pastrami, either. (What I really want is smoked meat, Montreal/New York style...)

He goes by Rick, but Google tells us that Rick is short for Richard... so... there aren't too many places around here to get Corned Beef. I don't think Smitty is still doing it. The "pastrami" at CostCo isn't what I know as pastrami, either. (What I really want is smoked meat, Montreal/New York style...)

OMG, I'm drooling. If I could just find a way to get it here I'd buy a whole brisket. We go to Montreal once a year and eat as much as we can just to carry us over!

About 3 or 4 months ago we stopped for this corned beef at Rick's ... my husband is the one that likes it so much so I happen to stay in the car while he goes to pick some up. I look up and here he comes with an uncooked brisket with complicated instructions on how to soak and cook. He tells me that "the man" inside told him that they did not sell it already cooked. So, my question is obviously .... is this cooked? BTW, the brisket is still in my freezer as I am not going to go through all the girations it apparently takes to cook it :)

The only thing "Rick" told me was to rinse it twice as there is a lot of salt in the marinade. He said remove it from the package,, rinse it then put it in the fridge in water over night to remove the excess salt. Rinse a second time, then cook. We (my wife) puts it in a pan, covers it with water then seals the pan with foil sets the oven at 100c and cooks for about 1 hour per kilo. If a fork goes in and comes out easily...it's done. we've had his corned beef 3 or 4 times and it's always been great!

This is Rick and I thought I would finally weigh in on this topic! First of all, my name is Rick. Carl has been calling me Rich since we met several years ago at The Early Bird Cafe. What difference does 1 letter make? When someone purchases Corned Beef from us, Heidi or I give them very simple instructions, in writing. We get our beef from Sonora, marinate it for 5 weeks and then freeze it. The only reason we freeze it is because we can store more standing up than laying down. Luke, I'm sorry if the process seemed difficult and I also sorta think that you don't like Corned Beef! If we can help you, please stop by or call me at 331-442-3930.

Rick

Rick, no real problem ... I know once a person does something the first time that the second time is more simple. I don't need help following the instructions ... just a pan big enough to accommodate the soaking overnight in the frig ...etc. Maybe when I get back from my visit in the States I will finally get it done. I would just much rather be able to purchase it cooked ... which reading the above answers to that question seems to be telling me that ...no, this isn't possible. I will have to take pity on my husband and cook our own.

Archived