Chapala.com Webboard

Fireworks in the pre-dawn

tomgates

Not to be argumentative, but that consideration, as explained to me by several locals is, "I tolerate your noise so that you will tolerate mine."

I have been informed of the exact same thing by many here especially the parties with loud music and parking cars blocking everyones´ driveway. If they do it I can too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"HOWEVER, buy Mexican for a bigger bang!"

I remember when Mexico won the Symphony of Fire (or whatever it is called today) in 2006 - their first entry. Their show.

Past and future values come together in a program full of joy. A musical score that includes pre-Hispanic sounds, music in the history of carnival celebrations, traditional sounds mixed with innovative rhythms, and some of the best Mexican known values, friendship and fraternity are present in this show with the purpose to make you feel a little part of Mexico.

I can tell you there were a lot of happy Mexicans that day. This is the team which built it http://www.luxpirotecnia.com/

This morning, needing to take a pill early, I relied to cohetes to wake me - but, nothing! They must have moved the starting ceremony to a far away barrio. They're not there when they can be useful and a PITA the rest of the time!

That's because the festival for St. Francis is over now. It only lasts for 9 days and yesterday was the last day.

That's because the festival for St. Francis is over now. It only lasts for 9 days and yesterday was the last day.

What is happening in Ajijic has nothing to do with the San Francisco novena. We are talking about the Virgen of the Rosario celebration that lasts the entire month of October. Why no cohetes esta manana, quien sabe.

Oh my.....

Just because you chose to live somewhere doesn't mean you have to be happy with everything about it. That's true anywhere. There were things I hated about the US and there are things I don't like here.

Nothing wrong with wishing for improvement in quality of life. Certainly being able to sleep and not have your property damaged seem reasonable to me. It's simple consideration for others.

Zeb, how dare you! You are "constantly whining". You clearly don't respect Mexican culture. You should've done more research into local culture before deciding to move down here. You are thus forbidden to complain about anything because you came here voluntarily.

You are supposed to love everything about moving here (never mind the fact that we all know that is neither reasonable nor expected). Once you move to a new country, don't you know the rules change? In your home country, differing opinions were accepted and welcome, and some of these opinions or complaints (gasp) actually led to grass-roots actions to improve the quality of life in certain communities.

Some of your fellow expats are smart and know to follow the "new rules" which forbid you to make an observation that you don't like a certain aspect of your new home culture - whether its cohetes at 5am, potholes, cops that shake you down for bribes, lack of a reliable police force, a "restaurant" that plays music at 5000 decibels during weeknights in a place zoned for residential homes and ruins the mental well-being and ability to live in peace - even though its the expats, who by relocating here, invest into the local community by buying or renting homes, patronizing local stores, buying used or new cars, hiring domestic help like gardeners or house cleaners and allow medical professionals or other health care providers to open up shop in Chapala as most locals could never afford to pay their prices.

You can only post about positive experiences on this board, and if you dare say that you feel the lake, in your opinion, is dirty, you've committed a Class A felony. Because you are not allowed to have an opinion that may differ from others.

(I hope my sarcasm was obvious here. I wish more people were as level-headed as you, Zeb.)

Agree with congodog. When we (all of us) came here, surely we expected that there would be some things about this country / culture that would be different, and in some cases unpalatable to us.

BUT .... at the same time .... this is how things are done here (cohetes, or anything else you want to pick)....... so for those who want to CHANGE it...... it's neither your right nor your business to tell citizens of another country how to run their lives.

They were doing things their way before we came. They'll be doing so far into the future.... until THEY decide to alter whatever it is. Meanwhile, kwitcherbitchin.

Natasha: I completely agree!

But, there is a significant distinction between someone saying, on a local forum board for expats "gee, these cohetes sure are loud, anyone know how much longer it will last? What can I expect? And, its a bummer my windows or roof tiles are exploding from the cohetes" and "telling citizens of another country how to run their lives."

Who here is telling Mexicans to change their culture or how to run their lives?

In fact, many of us do that already without realizing it (ie: promoting spay and neuter programs and pushing our NOB values on, for example, the treatment of pets.) I love animals more than anything and of course I wish everyone treated animals with love, but aren't we trying to change MX culture by pushing our own our values about dogs, cats and pets, however positive we believe our motivation may be?

I haven't seen anyone take any action to change Mexican culture. Griping about something on this forum is not akin to trying to tell someone how to live, particularly when said gripes are confined to an expat board.

I would never imagine complaining or pontificating to my Mexican friends that they should change anything about their culture, or that I find the noise "too much" or that they should change. Its not my culture and not my business.

The cohetes are usually fewer during the week. This morning, in a bout of insomnia not caused by cohetes, I was awake and heard the mournful church bells around 6am which announce a local death, so that is probably why I only heard one cohete. Generally, fiestas proceed even when there is a local death, unless the family lives very near the plaza, in which case things might be lowered for a day or so.

On October weekends, you can expect to hear mariachis and/or bandas for the early morning processions, along with the cohetes. The vast majority of the local people love these traditions, and would not be getting up, themselves and participating, otherwise. Most people here get up at 6am anyway, so it is not that big of a deal. Mexican public schools are all on double time, meaning that about half of the kids here have to BE at school around 7 or 7:30am.

To put this all into perspective: after 4 long years of the tortuously super-loud reign of terror coming from El Barco (2010-2014) , I can tell you that rock music from that one bar created far more noise-hours than all the Ajijic fiestas put together, including the bandas! That would amount to quite a hostile cultural takeover! Whether or not you like cohetes and fiestas, you can rest assured that the end is in sight, without a fight! Not the case for the neighbors of that or any other bar who blast their abrasive, foreign-style music several times a week, all year around while the neighbors suffer.

The fiestas are organized and paid for completely by the people themselves here, so what you see and hear is always the Peoples' Choice! They are not profit-making ventures with some promoter trying to get rich, unlike the bars who inflict themselves on the neighborhood just to make a little money.

Here is the real low down on the cohetes, a story that was channeled directly from the Virgin of Guadalupe on her very feast day. I know because I know the writer very well.

http://ajijicnews.com/pages/kwaytays

Also forgot to mention that the Oct. 31 Fabulous Fiesta of the Virgin of the Rosary, Ajijic's very own, personal virgin, will also include mariachis playing in the small chapel, even while the danzantes danzan outside. Later, there will be a usually great banda for dancing, and the castillo is usually lit around 11pm.

It is a great cultural immersion, as are the moments when the procession arrives at the church just before sunset with all the danzantes drumming, bandas playing, church bells ringing, more cohetes... the first time I heard that, I was more than thrilled. Guaranteed to unblock any uptight, old energy blocks from your system.

I have many more videos of all of the above, but my old ones are no longer online, since webshots.com was dismantled around 3 years ago.

Archived