Chapala.com Webboard

DMSO Pain Relief Oil

CHILLIN

Apparently this is available at the vet store in central Chapala - where the fiberglass cow used to be on the sidewalk. The trouble is the cow has been gone for some time now, so I don't know if the store is still there. He said they also sell a linament which has been around since the 1940's, it is used for treating swollen joints on horses and cattle.

Make up your own mind on DMSO and also magnesium oil (magnesium chloride and water) - lots of info on the internet. The old handyman needs both knees replaced but can't afford that right now - he says DMSO helps him. Apparently, be careful with the strength because it can burn the skin.

Ever notice you can always tell when people have been here a long time when everything in Chapala is referenced to the cow as the starting point?

I first used it around 1981 when I severely sprained an ankle while on a pheasant hunt in Eastern Oregon. I was sure I would not be hunting the next day but one of the guys suggested trying DMSO. I went from not even close to getting my boot on that night to fully being able to hunt the next day. It left a very strong taste in my mouth but it sure worked. I suspect it may have negative effects on one's kidneys and liver but for a once in a while fix maybe worth a try.

Thanks, CHILLIN'. I recently used Magnesium oil (sprayed it on my back, then since I was alone, I used a mini paint roller to get it all over my back. I was quite surprised as it did give some help with muscle spasms.

It was found at a spa-kind of store, but I hear you can make your own much more cheaply if you can get your hands on magnesium flakes (found at stores for fish tanks). This was sprayed on my skin, don't know anything about taking it any other way (drinking it, rectal insertion, shoving it in your ear, etc.)

I have no idea how safe it is, as I just used it 3x, it sort of helped some muscle spasms relax, and I only did a few hours of research. But it could be worth looking in to for those with bad muscle spasms and maybe for other things.

DMSO is a solvent which, in addition to pain relief properties, has the ability to transfer through the skin almost directly to the blood stream. It can also carry with it into the blood anything else that is on the skin including toxins in lotions, makeup, and other medicines that are not designed for internal use. It will also carry in surface bacteria that can be bad when introduced internally. DMSO will almost instantly leave a bad taste in your mouth after putting on your skin. It works that fast. So be very careful since it seems to most experts to have more potential bad effects than potential benefits.

Thanks, CHILLIN'. I recently used Magnesium oil (sprayed it on my back, then since I was alone, I used a mini paint roller to get it all over my back. I was quite surprised as it did give some help with muscle spasms.

It was found at a spa-kind of store, but I hear you can make your own much more cheaply if you can get your hands on magnesium flakes (found at stores for fish tanks). This was sprayed on my skin, don't know anything about taking it any other way (drinking it, rectal insertion, shoving it in your ear, etc.)

I have no idea how safe it is, as I just used it 3x, it sort of helped some muscle spasms relax, and I only did a few hours of research. But it could be worth looking in to for those with bad muscle spasms and maybe for other things.

In Canada this summer I was turned on to a product called "Natural Calm", which is Magnesium Citrate in powder form with some natural flavoring added. 1 teaspoon (2.5 g) in a glass of water before bed helps a lot with my foot and leg cramps, and helps with sleep as well. Also, many people don't know that magnesium is probably just as important for bones and teeth as calcium. So those with osteoperosis, or early signs, may in fact need more magnesium, not calcium, or a combo of the two.

A good friend of mine who had an herbal shop gave me this formula to make the oil. Here it is. I hope it helps.

Here's the oil recipe:

5 drops Thyme
10 drops Rosemary
10 drops Eucalyptus
10 drops Peppermint

Mix these into 1 oz. olive oil or any non-gmo oil base.

Add 1 teaspoon of DMSO immediately before application - will not blend completely. You can put in a jar or small bottle & just shake up before using it.

BE SURE - you have just showered or are not sweaty when applying, as this mix will drive the 'dirt' back into your skin...

Wait at least 3 hours before showering again so the oils have time to penetrate.

Also, many people don't know that magnesium is probably just as important for bones and teeth as calcium. So those with osteoperosis, or early signs, may in fact need more magnesium, not calcium, or a combo of the two.

I was reading a book where the character said they must have some seawater running in their veins. This is true, at least for those who accept our evolutionary origins. The salt in ocean water is mostly sodium chloride, then calcium chloride, and then the smallest percentage, magnesium chloride and all the other trace minerals and metals (including gold). Sodium is pretty hard to avoid in our diet, likewise calcium, but how many can name foods with magnesium? Something like 60% of people have a deficiency, a very small percentage of people have to receive a weekly injection. Luckily, you can also use magnesium oxide (a vitamin supplement) or magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salts). So we must each to find our own way to feed the "old salt" in your soul!

DMSO is a solvent which, in addition to pain relief properties, has the ability to transfer through the skin almost directly to the blood stream. It can also carry with it into the blood anything else that is on the skin including toxins in lotions, makeup, and other medicines that are not designed for internal use. It will also carry in surface bacteria that can be bad when introduced internally. DMSO will almost instantly leave a bad taste in your mouth after putting on your skin. It works that fast. So be very careful since it seems to most experts to have more potential bad effects than potential benefits.

Apply to CLEAN skin! Seems that would kind of go without saying. I've been using it for forty years and never had a problem....have you looked at the side affects of most prescription drugs! Yikes! If anyone actually listened to the commercials...all the way through... they'd never try anything!!!

Anyone have any ideas, experience with or have heard of anyone using DMSO as a topical treatment of rheumatoid arthritis? Have a friend suffering from RA Lakeside. Any information or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Not to split hairs here but lets call it what it really is and that is a penetrant and carrying agent. But what barbower says with regards to the dangers of it's use cannot be understated. DMSO is extremely dangerous if used incorrectly. It will carry poisons in minute amounts directly into the blood stream that could be fatal from far far smaller amounts than if ingested. Not even gloves will protect you from being affected when working with DMSO. When you read how affectively this stuff can go through materials almost instantly you soon realise the skin is no barrier at all for this stuff. And if you are thinking well I will just wash my hands with soap and water first before using it think again. Soap residues and any other chemicals from the soap will also be carried directly into the blood stream. This stuff is mega scary!! I was once told or read somewhere that here are more accidental poisonings from this stuff every year than from any other source. Stay away!!!!

cookie,

do you use only DMSO or do you use something along with it?

I get it in a roll on and just roll it on. I supposed it's scary for someone who's heard horror stories..from....somewhere or other..but I've been using it for 45 years and never had a problem besides 'garlic" breath.

My father was using DMSO for the gout in his big toe. I went down on my motorcycle and the seat gave me a large hematoma on the inside of my thigh. I used DMSO and it definitely took down the swelling. But it didn't stop there. I now have a noticeable dent where it was applied. That was 35 years ago. The DMSO didn't kill me. It didn't kill my Dad either. He died from cancer in the bladder caused by his drinking and smoking and he was warned about that too.

Archived