Chapala.com Webboard

T1, Fiber Best Internet

As long as they don't buy enough servers no amount of new this or that will solve anything for Telmex DSL. Hope for the new thick Telecable cable in town when they get cut over to it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does having new servers have to do with obtaining a faster pipe to the internet?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does having new servers have to do with obtaining a faster pipe to the internet?

Agree, the only servers in the loop should be DNS and DHCP neither should be a problem once you have a connection.

I think their problem are the adsl concentrators which are overloaded.

The Telmex Internet service here is provided via 15 year old ADSL (asynchronous digital subscriber line) technology. If you are within a mile of the Telmex central office (CO) where the DSLAM ( digital multiplexer) is installed, you should receive the adverstised service rates. If you are beyond the one mile range, and because its a "shared" service link, which is usually "oversold" 20:1, your Internet experience will be less than optimal. Thats the case in upper Chula Vista where the Board has been writing letters to Telmex for years to get them to upgrade to fiber to increase the "transport" speed. The new competition that come into the Mexican market is forcing Telmex to focus on their cellular telephone network moving it from 3g to 4g technology that is designed to provide fast Internet connections to a mobile phone. Its pretty frustrating dealing with Telmex( the monopoly carrier for over 100 years) as they really only play lip service to customer service. Within five years there will be new satellite constellations of low earth orbit (LEO) satellites developed (OneWeb, SPACEX, Samsung) which will offer very low latency(no delay) and broadband connectivity as an alternative to terrestrial network operators like Telmex. I see the day when Telmex abandons their copper wire network and only offers connectivity via cell tel.

Currently, cellular data is incredibly slow compared to even copper. I see it being a very long time (read: past my life cycle) before dropping wires is viable.

Speed from TelMex also depends on where the customer is on the cable, even in the same neighbourhood. Other servers are not interfaced with the customer, so "new" ones won't make any difference. However, congestion does occur when a lot of people go online... not because they are all online, understand, but because the infrastructure can't take it. You can add lots of people to your pedestal service, and you won't see any change in speed... until the capability is bypassed, at which point congestion occurs.

So it's the infrastructure that's overloaded, not the "the servers". And mostly it's copper here. I have heard rumours of fibre forever, and not seen any difference anywhere... except out at Vista del Lago, which used to be the worst. Now there are people there getting beyond 10Mbps.

Gee guys I got my info from Telmex English support in Mexico city. They mentioned server shortage specifically over and over whatever that means. Lord knows how the infrastructure works here laugh out loud. I am within a mile of the Telmex switch and I can't get more than 1.5 and have it set for .8 so it works in the rain for VOIP phone. Very reliable but very slow. Telecable supplies my internet (10) and varies from 3 to 10 depending on traffic in neighborhood. I consider myself lucky. I don't know guys it seems like Telmex is self destructing and handing the market over to Telecable. Anybody know when they will cut over to the larger Coax cables in town? We have the cables but nothing hooked up to them.

Sorry, lcscats, they lie freely. They say things that people want to hear. They have no interest in going into technical details which most of us are not going to understand anyway. And playing the server card works for them. That's why we hear it more and more often.

But I don't see how setting your speed low is doing you any favours... rain does not affect the infrastructure beyond "on" and "off", basically.

If I speed my line up it doesn't work in the rain it goes up and down. If I keep it at the 50% speed rating of the wire it never goes down. I have no idea where my wire runs but it must go all over the place to get such a slow speed for the distance I am from Telmex. ComputerGuy the truth is its VooDoo laugh out loud.

That is just too weird.

It is voodoo, but there are others in your area who are getting much better speeds, and farther away, too, so it has to be infrastructure if you've done all the computer refreshes for TCP/IP, Winsock, release/renew, DNS resolver cache, etc...

The Telmex Internet service here is provided via 15 year old ADSL (asynchronous digital subscriber line) technology. If you are within a mile of the Telmex central office (CO) where the DSLAM ( digital multiplexer) is installed, you should receive the adverstised service rates. If you are beyond the one mile range, and because its a "shared" service link, which is usually "oversold" 20:1, your Internet experience will be less than optimal. Thats the case in upper Chula Vista where the Board has been writing letters to Telmex for years to get them to upgrade to fiber to increase the "transport" speed. The new competition that come into the Mexican market is forcing Telmex to focus on their cellular telephone network moving it from 3g to 4g technology that is designed to provide fast Internet connections to a mobile phone. Its pretty frustrating dealing with Telmex( the monopoly carrier for over 100 years) as they really only play lip service to customer service. Within five years there will be new satellite constellations of low earth orbit (LEO) satellites developed (OneWeb, SPACEX, Samsung) which will offer very low latency(no delay) and broadband connectivity as an alternative to terrestrial network operators like Telmex. I see the day when Telmex abandons their copper wire network and only offers connectivity via cell tel.

Latency is related to distance so satellites would have to be very low and there would have to be a lot of them and you have to connect to earth at some point. 5 years may be optimistic!!

After 2 months of visits to the telmex office and calls to Mexico city they have finally moved my connection to a box which is not overloaded and we have gone from a very flaky 3 meg to a reasonable solid 6 meg so pressure can work but its not quick and you have to keep at it.

It helps if know enough of the tech jargon to get passed the BS and keep them honest.

Computer guy everybody in this neighborhood can only get three as the max. We must have some 300 pair cable that winds all around upper ajijic. Mine is the slowest but it works very reliably at 50% of tested maximum speed. I gave up trying to get faster. I need reliable for VOIP phone. I admit I don't know crap about DSL or Cable internet other than the basics but I do know what works and what doesn't. It's Voodoo. I can tell you the pin out for RS232 and I can tell what the different old phone modems sounds mean but I don't think that knowledge is very useful anymore laugh out loud. I can fix hydraulic line printers also. Another useless skill from another time. I am amazed you can keep all this crap in your heads. I can't anymore.

Latency is related to distance so satellites would have to be very low and there would have to be a lot of them and you have to connect to earth at some point. 5 years may be optimistic!!

Distance, when applied to networking refers to the number of physical devices inline from point to point (aka hop count, or hops), not actual miles/kilometers. Each hop(router, switch etc) introduces additional signal latency. Most terrestrial internet connects are fiber, and the signal through them is just sub speed of light. Signals to satelites are speed of light - millisecond return times. The issue with satelite performance is available bandwidth and atmospheric interferance.

Pllus the age thing is happening, and so there are a lot of things I just don't care to learn about or keep up on anymore! For instance, cell phones: every one of them has a different menuing system, almost impossible for many people to care about, and I get asked a lot how to do things on them. The only real difference between me and the average Joe/Jane is that my background lets my swim through the system until I find what's needed. It's not because I know where it is!

But if anyone near you is getting 3, then you should be able to get 3.

But Dish Network U.S.A. already offers up to 20mps internet satellite from an Anik bird. Over 12 million subscribers. Roof top dish/modem. A new Anik would give them access to all Latin America, no copper or fiberoptics required, except in areas where a dish would not be possible or practical. Telmex/Carlos Slim bought a controlling share in Dish Latino earlier this year when the monopoly got busted up.

http://www.dish.com/bundles/

Hello All,

I'm new to the area and have really been enjoying learning about the local infrastructure over the last few days in this thread.

Prior to showing up here I worked for a telecom configuring and maintaining most of the equipment involved in a cellular network including the terrestrial and microwave network that connects the towers. I may be able to clarify a few things.

Traditional Satellite Internet: This route often looks pretty good on paper, but starts falling apart pretty fast. Latency is high (bad for video and audio calls) due to the need to go from earth to satellite and then back to earth again. While speeds look decent, many providers don't allow VPN connections that lots of the locals use because they can't be easily compressed. The final nail in the coffin is often the very low data caps for monthly throughput allowed through most services.

LEO Satellite Internet: This one shows quite a bit of promise, but is going to be 5+ years as mentioned previously. It will also suffer from spectrum congestion and licensing that cellular networks are already, or will be running into soon.

Fixed Cellular Internet: By today's "4G" standards in the US cellular data is capable of speeds over 10 times better than I've been seeing here, but there is only so much radio spectrum to share. One of the biggest problems the US carriers have is getting their hands on more spectrum. In a town this size, a cellular network could provide MUCH better service than we're currently seeing (assuming the spectrum licensing in Mexico is similar to that of the US, and a local carrier decided to invest in it), but because of spectrum limitations, copper or fiber based services have at least the potential to outperform them.

Fixed Wireless: Services like Laguna provide a tower or towers, and a client side antenna and networking gear to wirelessly connect to the tower. This typically allows the provider to bypass entrenched landline monopolies, and also avoid the high expenses of trenching new lines. Speeds are once again limited by spectrum availability, distance to tower, and equipment. It can't compete in performance with quality landline offerings, but could certainly compete with the current landline connectivity options it sounds like most of you have available.

"Distance": This is a loaded word in the networking world. Like already mentioned, it can refer to distance to and from satellites, another poster mentioned "hop count", and there are plenty more. For most of the users here, distance will mostly be measured in miles/kilometers of cabling between them and the DSLAM. All DSL technology has lower throughput the further away the end user is from the DSLAM even on the best quality line. Sounds like line quality here is questionable, and the DSL tech being used is old to make the problem worse.

Boiling it all down, it looks like people are stuck waiting on the landline or cellular providers to upgrade their infrastructure. The only feasible near future alternative I see is fixed wireless. I'm not sure what kind of gear and speeds Laguna offers, but the option may be here already.

For those that have been here for much longer, and understand the legal and political side of the issue a bit more, is there any chance that ISP colocation is an option via either phone line or cable like we had in the early 90s in the US?

Lord, Ryanv just gave us the clearest bad news report I've read in a long time. I'm disappointed but not surprised. I guess the most annoying thing is seeing what we have here on the lake and seeing the billboards in Guad advertising what you can get there. Talk about night and day.

Archived