Chapala.com Webboard

T1, Fiber Best Internet

We have been having huge issues with Telmex lately and incredibly slow internet. We have a most expensive business line, Fixed IP (that took a year a fighting with them for it to work), etc. But it seams as though the internet gets worse and worse. We use to have Telmex and Telecable because Telecable was faster but less reliable. We would switch between the two depending which one was actually working. Since we are a hotel we do have much higher traffic than most home users would have, we also have Apple TV in the guest rooms and Voip phones.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a commercial internet provider with service to Ajijic Centro?

Dont think you have much other choice other then telmex and telecable and if possible to contract extra line(s) if speed is really an issue. What i think would help more is buy a router which can combine multiple internet lines. If one fails you won't notice it other then slower speed, but you won't need to switch manually anymore. If both (or more) works, the load will be balanced over those multiple lines.

Your title confuses me....

T1 is a very old communications facility, much slower than even DSL, and maybe not even available in Ajijic. Just a guess. Also fiber.... does anyone have fiber to the house in Ajijic?

Your title confuses me....

T1 is a very old communications facility, much slower than even DSL, and maybe not even available in Ajijic. Just a guess. Also fiber.... does anyone have fiber to the house in Ajijic?

I'm admittedly ignorant to the terminology. I just need really great internet that a business would normally have as compared to residential needs. I actually do end up using my ipad with 4g for a lot of things because it's faster than telmex or telecable, but that doesn't really work to distribute internet to the entire property over the network of 7 Airport routers we have.

Why don't you go and request a direct fiber optic connection?

I suppose banks like Bancomer, Serfin and other business don't use the regular commercial internet service that Telmex offers, there should be more options for bigger customers.

You are a local business owner. Go to the new mayor and make a presentation along the lines that this trend of living in paradise and telecommuting is very real and a tremendous opportunity for Lakeside. As Computer Guy pointed out, younger and younger people are moving here hoping to continue their highly specialized work over the phone and internet. The trouble is the infrastructure is lacking. Internet is not going high speed here, it is becoming slower and less reliable. I know specifically of one younger couple who love it here but have recently had to move to Guadalajara for the internet speeds and bandwidth.

I haven't been paying much attention to what political stripe the new mayor is, but in 2012 then President Calderon started a program to auction off time on governmental high speed links. These are fiber optic connections.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-01-30/mexico-to-push-high-speed-internet-with-fiber-line-auctions-1-

If you have both telmex and telecable you can configure pc's to use both one via wireless and the other cable.

Some gaming computer motherboards have this feature, I used to have one that did that. It does not increase the speed, it will only be as fast as the highest speed connection. It is used to ensure connection for online gaming sessions which take over some people's lives.

I have a guy right across the street from you who gets 3 Mbits down and has never tried to get it faster. There are so many options to get your TelMex working faster. I have repeated them endlessly on this board. Pretty much everyone who has taken me up on the advice is happier now. TelMex in Mexico City is a good place to start.

keeping in mind that we are a hotel so dealing with guests connecting so specific computer settings aren'y the solution. We are already paying almost $2000 pesos a month to telmex for a fixed IP(which was a nightmare to get) and business internet, not any faster. Looks like there aren't many options.

Speaking of tele-commuting and younger people, I moved here from Mexico City and continue to work with my clients in Mexico City and Argentina from Ajijic. I'm 31. The ease of a 45 minute flight to Mexico city, which is actually less than it took me to commute from my home office in Mexico city to meet with clients, is a huge plus.

We get 1.5 in the burbs, where there is lots of room for gardening. We pay for 3, but that "speed" is not possible. No infrastructure to support it.

I haven't researched Guadalajara or Mexico City - but this link is the norm in Vancouver, where we lived most of out lives and were running at 100, five years ago. Notice their recommended uses for the different packages. For online jobs requiring video and audio editing, or software coding, these are big files, requiring 120 and above.

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/plans/

The spread here is .3 to 11.3 Mbits from TelMex. It is impossible to say where the best and worst are, except in extreme cases, because I have registered vastly differing speeds in the same neighbourhood. In Chula Vista, two blocks apart, one person is getting 1.3, and another is getting 5.0. In fact, most who complain have never done anything other than go to the office in Ajijic, where they know absolutely nothing about the situation (except that gringos are constantly complaining, as far as they are concerned).

In Brisas de Chapala, one customer is getting about .7, and another is getting 3.+... again, neither of these places have been "optimized", as it were, so who knows.

I live within about a Km from the Telmex office where my DSLAM card is located, (where my telephone line is connected to the information highway) Shown below is what I get wirelessly, when wired I get maybe 8% faster on average. I have the $599 peso package and get what I pay for.

4715822826.png

Like what has been stated above it depends upon how close you are to the internet source and the quality of the lines between your router and that source.

Some folks who live quite close to me receive much slower service, because of the poor quality of the connection between their router and their DSLAM card

Edit: tried again this time wired;

4716625599.png

I have both Telecable and Telmex in my house. Cable is 10 for 600P/mo. I could go to 15. DSL is .8 but I could raise it to 1.4 but I want it to work in the rain for VOIP phone so I keep it slow. Guadalajara is now getting much higher speeds. We have new thick coax cable in Ajijic but its not hooked up. I have never seen Fiber lakeside to the customer but I think the new coax in town should help things at some point. Its seems DSL is hopeless as they won't invest in more capacity in servers and they won't hook up repeaters thus all the slow slow DSL in the Village. Hacienda you need a lot more bandwidth than one telecable or telmex connection sorry but add it up.

Wow, lots of varation in speeds from house to house. The same is true here in Ecuador. ComputerGuy, I like your idea of trying to optimize the speed if there is a problem. We get speeds of around 3 here in Cuenca at our house, and that would be great if I could get that Lakeside. I would not be happy with 0.3 though!

I just received this email... anyone heard anything about this?

"Prepare to recieve a speed increase" and "Keep your modem on"

https://plem.telmex.com/InteraDestinatario/visualizaenNavegador.do?p=5a440b51db1168dd3ea5a4e54103d24c20639999fafff645c853999281aead7b99b361153b388812a80c5b0ab64ef173

incremento_prox_01.gifincremento_prox_02.gif

incremento_prox_03.gif

I don't know what that means either. Interesting on the link to security software they are trying sell

http://www.telmex.com/web/hogar/suite-de-seguridad

and on the bottom of the page notice all the free stuff available for internet for education, etc. Back to my post of getting the new Mayor and Council involved, an initiative to bring high speed internet to attract international telecommuters, international customer service centers, also to serve the media school, the international school, the technical college - would not cost Chapala any pesos at all. That initiative started by Calderon, for example, decides whether to proceed on a case by case basis, makes the fiber optic bandwidth available, then asks for the lowest bidder to install and implement it. It is Federal monies. Instead of Chapala being a bedroom and retirement community for Guadalajara, it could become a high technology dynamo, creating many worthwhile jobs.

The only email I have recently received from Telmex was about getting my monthly bill on line rather than delivered to my home. Nothing else.

I also just entered my modem and saw that my assigned speed is the same as before

Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]: 959 / 12.542

So no changes here yet. Oh well, I don't often need anything much faster than what I've got.

maybe, just maybe, somebody should talk to the telmex offices in mexico and let them know that now, chapala is not a small town anymore and ask for them to change the old central, for a new one fiber optic equiped....Slim is a powerful man here...

Archived