Chapala.com Webboard

An unusual request

Nancy in CO

I am asking on behalf of a friend who's daughter has a heroin habit. She began using after doctors would no longer prescribe medications for the pain she was experiencing after a car accident. Our friend would like to know if there are any rehab centers anywhere in México. This is not a subject I know anything about, but I said I would ask on our friend's behalf. Our friend feels that her daughter might have more success if she could go through rehab in a very different location, where there would be fewer of the triggers that have made it impossible for the young woman to get clean.

This is not a common request on this board, I know, but if anyone has any idea about rehab centers, please send me a PM.

No, this is not spam. This is serious. Thank you for your help.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

They should choose very carefully,many rehab centers here have bad reputations,there are some good ones I just don't know their names,it will take some research on their part.

I have a nephew with an addiction so I understand what they are going through. He has stumbled a couple of times since getting out of rehab not even a year ago. I feel the problem is not in where Rehab is, it is with the life they are going back to. Getting rid of the bad friends and the other emotional baggage that caused drugs or alcohol to be their crutch is key, not the location of rehab. I think one of the most important parts in rehab was the counseling he received to address his deep rooted emotional issues. If their child speaks fluent Spanish then no problem, if they do not then they have to be sure emotional support will be there in english. The patient also would have difficulty in group sessions if no one in the group could understand them and vice versa. I wish your friends all the best and send positive thoughts their way hoping that they get the help they need.

[quote name="indianamom" post="461081" I feel the problem is not in where Rehab is, it is with the life they are going back to. Getting rid of the bad friends and the other emotional baggage that caused drugs or alcohol to be their crutch is key,

I couldn't agree more,sometimes a change of location can be very helpful.

There is a rehab center in Villa Nova in Ajiic but I do not know if it is alcohol addiction only or all addictions. Someone on this board may know- I am leaving town for a month s I cannot check it right now but someone is sure to know.

A Mexican friend told me when she was a teenager, her mom caught her smoking marijuana and threatened to send her to a convent if she didn't stop. My friend told her mom that if she sent her to a convent, the first thing she'd do would be to make friends with the gardener and within a day, guaranteed she'd have a baggie, or at least a few joints.

While a lot of folks who come out of rehab go back to the same friends, same hang-outs, and therefore the same way of life, and your friend feels her daughter wouldn't have that opportunity in Mexico (and it would be great, indeed, if that worked out well), if the girl wants to find drugs, she will. They are everywhere, those who want them will find a way to get them, and no drug addict who doesn't have the determination to quit will let a little thing like not speaking the language stop them from scoring.

I wish your friend and her daughter a good outcome.

Thank you all for your constructive ideas. I think our friend has concluded that any rehab center that would be helpful to her daughter will have to be in the US, and it's also clear that rehab without a change of attitude will be a waste of time and money. But the problem is, how to keep an emancipated adult away from the people who don't have her best interest at heart. The young woman has to want this to work, and from what I know she doesn't seem to be ready to change. It's a real pity--a lovely young woman, smart and talented, but one who will probably not survive.

Again, thanks for all your help. I do wish that doctors would have been a little more understanding of her need for pain relief. We all experience pain in our own ways, and some people tough it out better than others. It's not a moral failing if you can't manage pain.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Mexico is the last place I would send a drugie. Most all illicit drugs are allowed to be legally possessed in small quantities.

That drug is illegal in the US and, obviously legality doesn't matter. That's why all those laws don't work. If the person has problem with it and wants to consume it, she will find a way. The issue is the person's desire to not consume and that is a personal decision which no regulation will affect.

Although I don't know all the circumstances, but it seems that she may have tried to solve her problem going the legal route with doctors for pain management, and was unable to get the proper help. The pain management doctors in the US are unable to practice medicine in a way that they feel is best for the patient. I can speak to this based on personal experience. They are frightened for their licenses by the government regulations and pain patients in the US are committing suicide or going to the streets as they have been given no other options.

Zeb, I'm sorry to say that you're absolutely right about how pain management is handled (or in fact, not handled) by doctors in the US. Pain medications should be part of a doctor's arsenal of treatment options, but as you say there are onerous restrictions that make them afraid to prescribe what's needed. Sometimes this is the result. It doesn't help that opiates on the street are cheaper in some cases than the prescription medications.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Archived