Chapala.com Webboard

New Ajijic generation

Islander

As the time of our departure for Ajijic is getting closer (time flies), I am starting to read this webboard on more regular basis and have noticed how many new people are moving in ( or coming to check it out). That is a good thing, no? At one point locals were worried that with so many people leaving might affect all the real estate and living Lakeside in general... including survival of so many restaurants in the area. Now, hopefully the "new" old guard will be able to assist them in settling in. This webbord is appreciated for that.

Do permanent residents see any changes in demographics? Are more Mexican families moving in from Guadalajara making Ajijic less ex-pat oriented? or is it still just their Lakeside weekend playground ?

What is your feeling?

Looking forward to be there with you again.

Cheers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal opinion is that the demographic of Ajijic has changed drastically. As far as where it's going, that's yet to be determined. Many of the more affluent people who had seconds (or even third or fourth) homes in Ajijic no longer come. High end real estate sits there while anything under $100 sells very quickly. Looking at the web-board comments and local businesses I see that a large population of expat retirees who move here because Mexico is cheaper (or at least they think it should be). With current exchange rates this is true but in general things aren't always cheaper just because it's Mexico.

I think a lot of businesses have suffered as a result of a loss of a certain group who spends more in the local economy. You see places open and close all of the time. Many places open trying to charge the prices that people are willing to pay, and in the long run don't make it because it simply doesn't cover the expenses, let alone a living wage. There are exceptions, but I'd say those are probably places that have been around a long time who own their location and don't have ever increasing rents in dollars to pay. How many places have come and gone just around the Ajijic centro area? LOTS

I'm trying to put this as polite as possible and I don't mean to offend or judge anyone. This is my Anecdotal take on things.

A buddy of mine who sells a lot of RE here says the high end stuff is moving a lot better these days. Says he's having his best year in a long time.

Personally, I think we are becoming a bedroom community to GDL. If you have a good job at or around the airport and want to live in nicer surroundings, it is easier to commute to here than places like Zopopan, for example.

An expensive home a couple doors away from me sat on the market for 7 years before being bought by retired professional folks from GDL at a pretty high price and then it needed a lot of work.

I also notice a lot more major renovation and new construction going on in Ajijic and La Floresta. And Riberas is pretty active these days too.

Haven't noticed that level of construction in Chapala except when our tax dollars are being spent there. :)

FWIW

It seems to me the demographics have changed dramatically in terms of affluence and lifestyle. In the past foreigners teneded overall to be more financially secure, adventurous, educated and were excited to be part of the culture. The more affluent tended to live in Ajijic while the less so sought the cheaper lifestyle afforded in Chapala and parts inbetween. It was once a popular retirement area for military personel and it is said the officers picked Ajijic while the non-coms went to Chapala.

Now we see more moving here for the climate, cost savings and try to live a lifestyle to emulate little America/Canada. This is not a negative just, imho, an evolution and sign of the times.

This is just a quick observation and my typing skills, or lack thereof, make it difficult to desire expanding this position.

Now we see more moving here for the climate, cost savings and try to live a lifestyle to emulate little America/Canada. This is not a negative just, imho, an evolution and sign of the times.

I don't think this is an evolution. Chapala Haciendas and Brisas Chapala were the first subdivisions built here to specifically attract suburban NOB style homes. That process was started in the mid to late 1970's, and still carries on today. Also the flood of commuters, especially those working in south Guadalajara, never materialized for Mexican style developments like El Chante.

The big recent change, in my opinion, is climate change. This also applies to Puerto Vallarta. For the last 3, going on 4 years, the weather has been cooler/wetter or hotter/wetter. While this mostly effects tourists and snowbirders, it does slow down full timers as well. At the same time, weather events like hurricanes and tropical storms have been fairly rare. In Puerto Vallarta the statistical average has been 13 events per year. It has been well below that for the past couple of years. As MC has also pointed out, there used to be a lot of weather coming in from the east coast - now fairly rare.

You'll get a million different opinions, so here's mine.

Real Estate is moving off the bottom and good properties are still selling. Some properties that were purchased during the boom period (pre2008) are having difficulty due to prices having come down. Seems to be more Mexican's from Guadalajara buying now that in the last couple years. I'm seeing 3 new houses going under construction in my little gated community with 3 more getting drawings approved before they start. Over 60% are Guadalajaran professionals looking for a weekend lakehome with an eye toward nearing retirement. I have met more people coming down to check the area out in the last 12 months than I have in quite a while, so I gauge the interest level as moderately high. Most of the folks who I met earlier and are coming down to give it a try are renting and seem pretty happy with their life here.

Overall, seems like we have hit the bottom and are moving back up re: Real Estate, mind you slowly, and my guess is we're probably back to slightly more inflow than outflow.

But that's all just my opinion

At Lakeside there are no good records available (for any "thing")...Anecdotal hear say suggests that " we move 5 families out and bring 3 in"

FACT. The USA exchange rate of 16.5/17, is a hardship for Mexicans, when the property is listed in US dollars..also the Canadian are at a disadvantage, at what, a 12.5 ex rate

There are many homes available that were bought "at market price " a few years ago. These are now available at what it would cost to build the property to day, so are a good value..

Some can be purchase below " cost to build to day price" and offer a better value yet

I guess there are a few available at "fire sale " prices by folks who have returned to NOB or to settle an estate

So do your math. Find the size of the house and the cost per square mt/ft to build and check if you have a good deal.

But remember regardless of cost, Location Location Location figures into to equation...a cheap house next to a neighbor with 10 dogs ( yes there are plenty around) a restaurant with loud music is no bargain.

One last thing, Development planing and zoning are only words on paper....Unless in a Fracc or Condo development , you could wake up finding the house next door is now a, cafe, iron shop etc etc

Welcome to paradise, most of us live quite normal lives..

I've noticed quite a few Ajijic properties on large lots are being either gutted or remodeled (based on the debris making its way to the street and presence of workers.) How anecdotal can it get? :unsure:

A possibility is that we're seeing middle class U.S. and Canadian expats whose pensions won't let them continue in their working years' lifestyle back where they came from, but will allow it here in Mexico. There must some "A-listers" here since the high end restaurants are surviving. Most of the newer restaurants are offering "pretty good" food for a very reasonable price. There are more than there were when I arrived over eight years ago, so somebody's dining out regularly.

Another is that the ones who have "passed on" belonged to the WWII generation. The following generation, the Depression Era folks, are much fewer in number, so there's a natural hiatus between them and the currently retiring "boomers".

Bottom line: People do the best they can with what they have to work with.

Lots and lots of price reductions the past few weeks in the MLS.

One notable one went from $399,900 to $210,000.

Maybe the seller was fishing for suckers at their original asking price, or maybe they are now desperate to sell.

Maybe it is a bargain now, or maybe it is still horribly over-priced. Quien sabe.

Either way, it's not a good sign for newbies who come down here thinking the real estate market here resembles the real estate market where they come from. There are few if any 'comparables' here such as one would find in most US and CDN areas.

Caveat emptor!

Lots and lots of price reductions the past few weeks in the MLS.

One notable one went from $399,900 to $210,000.

Maybe the seller was fishing for suckers at their original asking price, or maybe they are now desperate to sell.

Either way, it's not a good sign for newbies who come down here thinking the real estate market here resembles the real estate market where they come from. There are few if any 'comparables' here such as one would find in most US and CDN areas.

Caveat emptor!

The most important difference, IMO, is that there are no requirements to reveal problems with the property as there are in the U.S. Caveat Emptor times ten!

Another is that the ones who have "passed on" belonged to the WWII generation. The following generation, the Depression Era folks, are much fewer in number, so there's a natural hiatus between them and the currently retiring "boomers".

I just checked a history book, the "depression era" folks came and went before the "WWII" generation. Ergo, the WWII group is the following generation. The gap between WWII and Boomer is in numbers, not time.

I see no change in the demographics here. The new arrivals seem to be 60ish, same as we were when we came 10 years ago.

The restaurants that were successful then are still in business. Many have come and gone failed for a variety of reasons that did not include "good food and service at a fair price."

I see more US folks moving here now, partly because the $USD is strong. A few years ago the $CAD was strong and more Canadians moved here.

The "we move 3 down and 5 up" comment was made in 2008/9 and would not be heard today.

10 years ago at the peak of prices there was a huge inventory of houses for sale, it is likely not much higher today than 10 years ago.

We have things available today that we didn't 10 years ago; Peter's Bakery, The Farmer's Market, the Monday Market, Walmart, Black Coffee, Auto Zone, and several Doctor Groups/Clinic that have made the area even more expat friendly.

Of all the opinions put forth, I would have to agree with El Saltos as most in line with my thinking.

I also wondered how "the Depession" wound up after WWII......maybe it did for some folks. :)

That's easy. People retiring from the WWII generation arrived in Lakeside first. Then, the people born later, during and shortly after the Great Depression were a much smaller demographic. Do the numbers.

To get even more specific, duh, in order to be in the generation that fought in WWII, you had to be at least 18 years old.

The Great Depression happened in the era between around 1929-1939. The war started in the early forties. :unsure: The people born in the Depression era came here after the WWII retirees.

But........have fun when you can!

I agree with Tomgates on the younger folks moving here and working. Also seeing many families who are home schooling the kids. Many more young (er) folks arriving now compared to five year ago. I get a lot of internet questions from the working folks so I know many of them. Nice folks but much busier than us retired folks so they tend to appear invisible to many of us. You don't see them at American Legion or LCS for the most part.

I agree with the younger/working demographic. Someone is buying up properties in Ajijic and cutting them in half and doubling the sales . Hopefully the new admin will review the building violations of the last amin and do something more than demand more bribes. We have many private schools , so someone with money is filling them with kids and paying

Well, duh......If you would have said...."the following generation, people BORN in the depression era", there wouldn't been have a question.

You are identifying the first group by their adult era identification and the second group by their birth era identification.

Was that a mortal or a venial sin? I will, in the future, be far more careful. Maybe. :unsure:

That's easy. People retiring from the WWII generation arrived in Lakeside first. Then, the people born later, during and shortly after the Great Depression were a much smaller demographic. Do the numbers.

To get even more specific, duh, in order to be in the generation that fought in WWII, you had to be at least 18 years old.

The Great Depression happened in the era between around 1929-1939. The war started in the early forties. :unsure: The people born in the Depression era came here after the WWII retirees.

But........have fun when you can!

All true. However generations are named for when they were born not when they retired. Those of us born between 1939 and 1945 are the WWII generation, followed by the Baby Boomers. Those who fought WWII were born in the "Roaring 20s."

All true. However generations are named for when they were born not when they retired. Those of us born between 1939 and 1945 are the WWII generation, followed by the Baby Boomers. Those who fought WWII were born in the "Roaring 20s.

Where's that icon showing a dead horse being beaten?

Archived