Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Swiss Gadget GPS for Mexico

ajca

Having gotten the BMW motorcycle version of the Garmin, I can confirm the maps Garmin provides aren't worth much. They really can't get you through the towns at all and it seems they pick the wrong route more often than not.

Supposedly, Garmin has some sort of alliance with Bicimaps, which are supposed to be much better. However, if that is true it doesn't seem to have helped Garmin much.

I finally found that using maps combined with a compass seems to work better.

The GPS is only as good as the maps you can load into it and it seems that isn't very good with a Garmin product.

If anyone has a source of better downloadable maps for Mexico please let us know where to find.

Have used a Garmin GPS in Mexico for the last 6 years, they have always worked well. Not perfect but better than Tom Tom or any others that I know of . I also have a BMW with a factory nav system, Gamin is soooooo much better., I always use my Garmin instead of the BMW nav system.

I drove from Laredo last week, my Garmin worked great it even took me on the new road around San Luis Potosi.

If you have a smart phone - iPhone or Android - I recommend "Here". It is free and does not use data, just the phone's GPS. It's the best GPS I've had, including Garmin and Google Maps. You can download it from the Apple App store or from Google Play Store for Android. I have used it in Mexico, the US and Canada and it is very accurate. It was developed by Nokia.

If you have a smart phone - iPhone or Android - I recommend "Here". It is free and does not use data, just the phone's GPS. It's the best GPS I've had, including Garmin and Google Maps. You can download it from the Apple App store or from Google Play Store for Android. I have used it in Mexico, the US and Canada and it is very accurate. It was developed by Nokia.

What did you download from where?

I believe the version of the Garmin software determines the usefulness. A regular North America covers Mexico's highways. If you want the street maps, you need to buy the:

City Navigator® Mexico NT http://link rel="canonical" href="https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-mexico-nt/prod11427.html"/>

Some units come with city maps, some can not load the maps, but with it I have no problem driving to any address.

This is a link to the Here website that will connect you to the Google Play store or to the Apple App Store. Just download and install like any other app. Once you've done that, you can download maps for most areas in the world. All for free. https://pages.here.com/app/

Consider adding an SD card to your phone to store the maps... some are quite large files.

Archived