Chapala.com Webboard

your bank -- let us know if you're happy with it

gregweeks

You might want to clarify what you're looking for in a "bank".

Are you looking for investments? Do you want debit cards, credit cards, home banking that include bill payer and transfers to other accounts in the same bank or even transfers to people in different banks? Do you want to write checks or do you just want a place you can transfer in funds and then withdraw pesos in person?

To me the ideal bank is one that offers all the services you need without ever having to walk into a branch.

You might want to clarify what you're looking for in a "bank".

Are you looking for investments? Do you want debit cards, credit cards, home banking that include bill payer and transfers to other accounts in the same bank or even transfers to people in different banks? Do you want to write checks or do you just want a place you can transfer in funds and then withdraw pesos in person?

To me the ideal bank is one that offers all the services you need without ever having to walk into a branch.

I agree, this is the issue. Multiva, Cibanco, and Intercam have their strengths, so if what you are looking for in a bank is the strength of one of these then you have a good fit. If you are looking for more of a "full service" bank then they may not fit as well. Many people also advocate not having a bank in Mexico at all and just get cash from an ATM.

I've banked with Bancomer for many years and have always been happy with their services, of which they have many. I wasn't happy about a month ago when they raised my minimum average deposit for my checking account from 4,000 to 8,000 pesos to not have a service charge! I don't really need the "checking" part anymore (I did before), and they do have other lower balance options, but to "unwind" all of my stuff connected to this account would be a hassle. So that isn't enough "unhappiness" for me to look for another bank or even switch to a different type of account, but just a reminder that in the end a bank is a bank and all of them will be there for themselves before you and things may change over time.

The OP has never responded so we don't know what he's looking for nor why he's dissatisfied with his current bank.

Just know that banks are not your friends, except for the day you bring money to them to open up an account. After that they don't want to see you. They all have built huge computer systems that provide all the services they think you need. Their "customer support" people are at best apathetic and most likely incompetent. The good ones get promoted.

There are instances where you strike a relationship with a bank because you can leverage it for your own gain. Maybe 30 years ago you set up an account at a bank because you knew the president and he might be able to swing some investor loans for rental properties. Quid pro quo.

Banks exist to take your money and use it for their own purposes. Your relationship should be the same. What automated services do they offer for no or minimal fees that will make my life easier? Put your money there and you'll be happy, at least until there is a problem and you have to go in to complain.

I use Bancomer. I only deposit cash and go into the branch to make change. Other than that everything is done by comuter. Beto was great when he worked there but cream rises to the top and he was promoted to Guadalajara. Since then there has been a parade of much less than helpful folks.

I worked in banking on the computer side since the 70's and saw the changes in attitude toward customers. In the beginning they knew your name. Now you're just a number.

Parking at Intercam is difficult, getting in and trying to back out. Also they have recently lengthened the waiting in the office while they get "clearance" from Guad to process certain transaction's..Also lately they seem to have one window teller..service's have deteriorated...But with the required paperwork on file, they will cash checks with out having an account, which many/most banks will not

Archived