Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for upright piano

gregweeks

We are looking for a used upright piano. We are not interested in anything electronic. We had a Baldwin Acrosonic piano for many years and we were very happy with it. Neither Greg nor I are pianists. We enjoy having a decent keyboard in the house and I even sporatically take a lesson or two. Anyway, we're not looking for junk or for a concert level instrument, but rather something in-between.

Thank you for any information,

Paul

We are looking for a used upright piano. We are not interested in anything electronic. We had a Baldwin Acrosonic piano for many years and we were very happy with it. Neither Greg nor I are pianists. We enjoy having a decent keyboard in the house and I even sporatically take a lesson or two. Anyway, we're not looking for junk or for a concert level instrument, but rather something in-between.

Thank you for any information,

Paul

I have sent you a PM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Since we were last on chapala.com we've been to Morelia, checking out a couple Acrosonic spinet pianos. [Awful details suppressed.] Now we are checking out lakeside people and Guadalajara stores.

We are interested in the two people with pianos who have responded. Thank you, and we're in the process of following up.

We're also interested in piano stores in Guadalajara. Any suggestions?

(We've googled with little success.)

Regards,
Paul and Greg Weeks

I am aghast at the asking prices of spinets in Mexico. Here is the states they have a negative worth (the cost to get it to the dump), are hard and expensive to repair, and sound like a musical toy. The only exception, by a slim amount, is the Baldwin Acrosonic and they fetch maybe $400.

The most important thing when shopping for a piano, new or used, is to have it inspected by a reputable technician or you may end up with over ten thousand of swollen wood parts.

Read a forum of good info with members in Mexico: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/

We've got our piano. After one bad experience in Morelia and one good experience (today) in Guadalajara, we are expecting delivery tomorrow evening.

So, I can supply information about two local piano vendors; and I will -- after delivery tomorrow. (Is there an emoticon for crossed fingers?)

• 5 weeks later...
Oh, I forgot my promises!

Well, I've got the impression that even simple data of a negative sort is treacherous in Mexico, so I will keep this very simple.

In the big pianoforte store in Morelia, the pianos are not arranged for easy testing. On the other hand, the pianos sold by "www.magiapianos.com" are presented accessibly and, I would guess, lovingly.

(Now, if they can just improve the sound of our C below middle C :-)

Archived