Chapala.com Webboard

pesos or dollars, local merchants and services

nomad1942

A friend and I are coming down next month to check out the area with the possibility of moving down.

we are wondering if we should exchange before we come down and if we need pesos for most things or do some prefer dollars?

We will be staying at hotel Perico and hopefully renting a car from mark t.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you,

jerry tate

Get pesos at an ATM machine when you arrive at the Guadalajara airport. If Mark or one of his drivers picks you up they can show you. Not hard to figure out how to use & there are a number of them in the airport which isn't very big considering it is the 2nd largest city in Mexico. The rate here right now is almost 17 pesos to one dollar. I would not get pesos in the U.S. As the rate won't be as good. Most merchants here do not take dollars. Just a few large grocery stores. You will need pesos.

And don't forget that the ATMs are asking you how many PESOS you want (not US dollars), and be sure and notify your ATM card issuer that you will be in Mexico for X amount of time so that your card will work here. (Same thing with credit cards if you think you might use them; although it's still pretty much a cash-only society around Lake Chapala.)

If you have a 5 digit pin - Wells Fargo I think does this and a couple of others, you must get a 4 digit pin before you come. It must be done there, you cannot do it by phone, sme banks you can't even ask if you are not in the bank...anyway, machines here do not take 5 digits only 4.

If you have a 5 digit pin - Wells Fargo I think does this and a couple of others, you must get a 4 digit pin before you come. It must be done there, you cannot do it by phone, sme banks you can't even ask if you are not in the bank...anyway, machines here do not take 5 digits only 4.

My BoA ATM card has a 6 digit pin and it works fine with the machines here.

Nomad1942,do notify your bank that you'll be using your card in Mexico.

I don't think a question about where to exchange money, in these trying times, reflects anything about the OP's knowledge of Mexico... other than the fact that he hasn't experienced it yet. I think it is a perfectly legitimate question, and one that I asked my own mother before I came down to visit. In fact, having vacationed a lot in winter in Florida, I came to know that it is important to figure out what's the best way to get your money by asking ahead of time.

Have some $1 US bills in your pocket for tips within the first few minutes of arrival at the airport, as you will have porters assist you getting out of the customs area. Then, put the dollars away and proceed to an ATM machine (Cajera automatica) in the airport. It will have both Spanish and English on the screen, but you should not hesitate too long, or it will time out. Enter the number of pesos you want; perhaps $5000 on your first try, which is somewhat less than $300 USD. Oh, it is a good idea to tell your bank that you will be using your card in Mexico, and to also ask them to increase your daily limit to about $1000 USD to minimize ATM fees and to reduce trips to a machine. Hotel Perico has a shuttle to Walmart and the mall at the bottom of the road to Ajijic, where there are ATMs in Walmart, and CI bank and HSBC bank at the mall itself.

Enjoy your visit.

i thank you all for the input. i have lived full time in a small rv for the past 5 years. my mexico experience is limited to los algodones and puerto penasco.

so yes, i am fairly naive. i have been reading a lot of the topics here and insidelakeside. i am both excited and aprehensive about my trip there.

thanks again,

jerry

Nothing wrong with your questions, Jerry. We used to RV at both Puerto Peñasco and Kino Bay and both places worked with both currencies. Here, you are much better off using pesos.

We've found the best ATM deal here with a Capital One account. As suggested, get enough pesos to start with at the airport and then when you get here, set up a more permanent arrangement at a better exchange rate.

Welcome to town!

I have been using my 5 digit debit cards for years on various ATM's without any problems.

Archived