Chapala.com Webboard

US phone use while in Ajijic

Kurbie

I'm sure this may have been covered in the past, but I did a search and couldn't locate specifics on Verizon. I have Verizon service in the US and will be in the area in November. Will I be able to use my current phone with no modifications? Thanks for your help!

I'm sure this may have been covered in the past, but I did a search and couldn't locate specifics on Verizon. I have Verizon service in the US and will be in the area in November. Will I be able to use my current phone with no modifications? Thanks for your help!

Just went through this last month for a friend. Likely, but maybe not, depending on the age and bands of your device. Go into a Verizon store (rather than call) and speak with a Verizon rep (the online info is a starting point, but leaves you with lots of questions.) Some phones you can, some you cannot. (We have one that is compatible.) What is key is to get a Mexico plan that includes talk, text, and roaming so you won't be startled by the fees. Some of the plans can be added/removed in advance for periods of time.

Thanks! We both have I phones, but we'll look into a go phone for our trip.

To change plans or service providers, your iPhone may need to be unlocked. We just switched from AT&T's Mexico plan to T-mobile (about half the cost and no additional roaming charges, all talk, text, and Internet included) and one iPhone had to be unlocked and the other did not. Just depended on the model. Check with your service provider(s) and leave yourself at least a week to do this. From very recent experience.

I am in Ajijic now. I am using an iPhone 5s with a T-Mobile SIM. It is on the new T-Mobile plan that covers Canada and Mexico in addition to the U.S. It works fine in Ajijic, and worked pretty well as we drove down to Ajijic from the U.S. Voice and texts are unlimited on that plaan, and coverage has been pretty good throughout the area. Data is usable but not blazing fast. It registers LTE sometimes and 3G sometimes spdepending on where I am in the area.

For the last 5 or more years when I came north with my Mexican (Telcel) cell phone I would automatically be connected (roam) with AT&T, NEVER T-Mobile. Well guess what, this year I am automatically connected with T-Mobile. I bet that this not coincidental.

Telcel also has a plan where when up north I can phone very cheaply. I didn't look into it or sign up this time because I use my Seattle landline. Maybe it's time to check it out the next time I go north (3 times per year). I bet it is done through T-Mobile

On another matter, the new iPhone 6s became available yesterday. No I didn't buy one; my 6 plus is just fine for a year or three more, But boy was there a long line in front of the local AT&T here in Seattle. I also dropped by Verizon, just for the heck of it, and very few folks were there contemplating the new iPhone or purchasing anything for that matter.

For the last 5 or more years when I came north with my Mexican (Telcel) cell phone I would automatically be connected (roam) with AT&T, NEVER T-Mobile. Well guess what, this year I am automatically connected with T-Mobile. I bet that this not coincidental.Telcel also has a plan where when up north I can phone very cheaply. I didn't look into it or sign up this time because I use my Seattle landline. Maybe it's time to check it out the next time I go north (3 times per year). I bet it is done through T-MobileOn another matter, the new iPhone 6s became available yesterday. No I didn't buy one; my 6 plus is just fine for a year or three more, But boy was there a long line in front of the local AT&T here in Seattle. I also dropped by Verizon, just for the heck of it, and very few folks were there contemplating the new iPhone or purchasing anything for that matter.

Pete..if you have a plan here with TelCel you can add the U.S. To it for 50p a month. You can also use it in the U.S. Does not include Canada.

I presume that it will be great for you making calls and sending and receiving data, when in Mexico.

I understand but do not know, that should someone a block or 5 away in Mexico wish to call you, he will have to pay to call long distance to the states to your assigned US #. Now the rates to call the states or another country have greatly dropped down here. So it may not be that big of an issue.

I presume that it will be great for you making calls and sending and receiving data, when in Mexico.

I understand but do not know, that should someone a block or 5 away in Mexico wish to call you, he will have to pay to call long distance to the states to your assigned US #. Now the rates to call the states or another country have greatly dropped down here. So it may not be that big of an issue.

Yes, I have clients I deal with who think that because they set their NOB phone up to use inexpensively in Mexico, that a person calling them from within Mexico will get the same rate, as if it was now a Mexican phone. As you say, the person calling them will be paying long distance charges, even if phoning from down the block.

We have a cheap Go Phone, by AT&T. We have the plan that every minute (out or in) costs us $0.25. But, we just dial a US number or a Mexican number, makes no difference. We can text, but do not use any data. We add $25 at a time and will last us 3 months, and carry over, if we renew automatically.

$0.25 US/ minute is expensive for calling a local Mexican number, considering that on my Telcel Amigo Optimo it is 98 centavos/minute.

Archived