Chapala.com Webboard

Offering a ride to someone

valbogyo

Sometimes, I want to offer a ride to the housekeepers that I see waiting at the bus stop.... to go to Chapala from Ajijic. They know who I am, and I know who they are because they all work in my community.

How do I ask if they want a ride to the Chapala Plaza for example?

A couple of years ago when the narcos were pulling jovens off the street and killing them, I started offering rides whenever I saw females (NO males) waiting for the bus, ( never with my husband in the car )

I usually say "Yo voy a __________ (plaza, Walmarts, San Antonio, etc.), quiere vaya?

I know my spanish is terrible but most of them seem to understand (except the ones who think I am asking for directions).

Once one lovely girl offered me her busfare when I dropped her off. (I didn't take it of course).

It saves them a bit of money and I get to practice my awful spanish.

Once I offered a couple of women with a bunch of kids a ride and was astonished they could all fit into my car - it looked like a clown car when they all got off.

Not to be a pedantic a******le but the word is aventón, not aventon. You want the stress on the last syllable or you probably won't be understood.

That's correct, but the tablet I was using didn't have the tilde option.

This one does,aventón.

Not to be a pedantic a******le but the word is aventón, not aventon. You want the stress on the last syllable or you probably won't be understood.

On this board because so many people only have English language keyboards, we just have to infer the use of acentos, tildes, and the dieresis, as part of the program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of different ways to express this idea J Just to give my two cents worth, I would ask:

¿Quieres que te dé un ride? (informal: tú )

or

¿Gusta que le dé un ride? (formal: usted)

(As has been discussed previously, you can use “un aventón” instead of “un ride” and “ride” is pronounced almost like raid/rait)

You could also say ¿Puedo llevarte a …. (tu casa, el walmart, etc.)?

If you would like to be more formal you could say ¿Puedo llevarlo (or llevarla if it is a woman) a… ?

Archived