Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel in Laguna Centro

Pogo

Am I understanding this right? You are in a Spanish speaking country and complaining because you get poor service because you don't speak the language? Give me a break

No, you are not understanding this correctly. I speak Spanish sufficiently well to understand and be understood. This was not about a language problem. Something attitudinal is going on here. It shows up in the behavior of the people working there. Specifically, first they ignored me and, secondly, they refused to perform a normal service for me.

Refusing to speak English, or treating English-speaking people differently, is a bone-headed and selfish thing to do, and certainly a good way to lose money. I'm from Canada; we don't have a huge Spanish-speaking population, so we can't run over and grab someone to help a Mexican visitor. But English is taught in the schools in Mexico; it is the second language of choice, and everyone knows it. Frankly, most Mexicans I meet love to try out their English on me, even when I try to insist that no, I need to practice my Spanish with them.

But in Canada we have two official languages, and if you travel out west as a Francophone, you will find a huge resistance to speaking French. But that is a political thing more than a social issue.

The gang at TelMex in Ajijic are true bureaucrats, just waiting for their pensions to kick in. They don't have to help anybody, and they are so obviously just watching that clock, waiting for their "release" every day. Perhaps the staff at TelCel are the same. Although one would think, considering how bored they must be all day in that giant empty place, that they would jump at the chance to help anybody walking through their doors.

And by the way, WhatsApp is not free unless you are on WiFi... although TelCel does run a free promotion every so often. One of these just ended last week.

Am I understanding this right? You are in a Spanish speaking country and complaining because you get poor service because you don't speak the language? Give me a break

When companies like Telmex and Telcel have a large English-speaking clientele and make income from that clientele, the answer is Yes. Some of its employees should speak English to serve that clientele.

Lexy

Right, because I am heading off on a world tour including a number of African countries, India, Syria, and eventually the Baltics. Guess I better start brushing up on my languages.

• 1 year later...

I agree with Gringal.  We ALWAYS go next to Alex' Pasta Bar for any TelCel needs.  It can sometimes have 3 or 4 people waiting but when it's your turn you will be taken care of.

On 9/26/2015 at 3:04 PM, gringal said:

If you want pleasant, helpful service in English, go to the office opposite the parking garage at the plaza where El Torito is. Two English speaking ladies who will help you with anything Telcel. Usually no waiting, or very little. Whole different experience from the place in the Laguna mall.

I used to go there for help and she was very helpful but then one day a lady (the owner) told me that since I had bought my time at Laguana Mall to go there. She would not help me.  

I have been for help at Laguna Mall many times. I ask for a English speaking person as it can get quite technical. Sometimes the girl at the greeting kiosk can solve the problem. Sometimes they ingore my request and send me to anyone. They can be quite unhelpful. But I have found a guy working there who speaks perfect English. I insist of been sent to him. The other day I had to wait for over half an hour to get him. We are now on a first name basis.  

I use Silvia Peinado in the Plaza Bugambillias even though I speak Spanish-I just find the Centro store personnel unhelpful when it comes to stopping any Telcel sponsored service arriving on my phone. Silvia is extremely competent, helpful and speaks excellent English.

"WhatsApp is not free unless you are on WiFi.." Thanks ComputerGuy. I didn't know that. I find Telcel quite confusing

Archived