Chapala.com Webboard

New sushi place

ComputerGuy

I think the original/first Tabarka is somewhere in Guad., if David is still operating it.

It is, but it's on the opposite side of town,with the traffic here I could probably get to the one in Ajijic in the same time..

It is, but it's on the opposite side of town,with the traffic here I could probably get to the one in Ajijic in the same time..

He's been growing a large vine over a part of patio next to the indoor part of the restaurant. It's getting that fantasy "dining in Spain" look. Love it!

Lena called this morning to let her customers know that she has returned from visiting her family in Indonesia and will be back selling her great food, including sushi, at the Monday market beginning next week. Yes it is usually California rolls with cream cheese. Wasabi and soy sauce on the side.

1. Any time we've even considered Sushi in Guadalajara it appears from the menus that cream cheese is the primary ingredient. Even at the higher end mall Andares the Sushi (chain) restaurant is disgusting!

Only Suehiro is authentic, owned by the same Japanese family for over 40 years. There's no cream cheese in real sushi.

Lena called this morning to let her customers know that she has returned from visiting her family in Indonesia and will be back selling her great food, including sushi, at the Monday market beginning next week. Yes it is usually California rolls with cream cheese. Wasabi and soy sauce on the side.

Lia, not Lena.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.

I tried the new sushi place today and it was pretty good. Better than I expected from some of the earlier comments. I will go back and try a more complicated dish. I notice a lot of the rolls listed cream cheese as an ingredient so if you don't like it you can avoid those ones.

If you don't want to travel so far for raw fish you can get some pretty good ceviche around here,it's not sushi but it's tasty,I prefer the chunky style to the molida style.

You really do not want to eat ceviche in Mexico. Ceviche is "cooked" by letting it sit in lemon juice. But it is not cooked over a fire or boiled in water or anything that would kill bacteria. In the states or other countries, you can attest for the raw fish that they use, but here sanitary conditions are largely unknown, and you can get really sick from local ceviche.

1. I guess whoever posted about the "Bamboo Inn" in Joco deleted that reference, so I'm also guessing it isn't actually a place.

2. I know dozens and dozens of people who have eaten ceviche here for years and never had an issue, anymore than with any other kind of food.

3. Yo, dude, there is no comparison between ceviche and sushi. OMG.

You really do not want to eat ceviche in Mexico. Ceviche is "cooked" by letting it sit in lemon juice. But it is not cooked over a fire or boiled in water or anything that would kill bacteria. In the states or other countries, you can attest for the raw fish that they use, but here sanitary conditions are largely unknown, and you can get really sick from local ceviche.

I've been eating ceviche in Mexico for 40 years, enough to sink a battleship, and it hasn't brought me down yet. If ceviche was that dangerous, public opinion would have sabotaged it long ago. Mexicans do not look for food or enjoy same, if it makes them sick.

"sanitary conditions are largely unknown" ?????????? (just shaking my head)

Good points, Slainte, especially the logic behind "if it was dangerous, public opinion would have sabotaged it long ago". And truth be told, cooking in lemon juice (or other acids like vinegar and lime juice) is the same as cooking in an oven. Any health hazards would come from already-contaminated fish, or poor handling.

Wife and I just got back from logo-footer.png We had a two great meals, more than we could eat, perfect service, endless drinks, and parking right out front for under 168 pesos. We'll be back again.

This is not a place for everybody and we probably would have overlooked this chain of about 25 locations, most in Guadalajara, but our dentist recommened it and two of his favorite entrees. If you're a serious foodie this place won't do. But we feel it's a great change of pace, fun, and we enjoyed seeing so many younger locals there. As a side... we counted seven staff with the kitchen help and all were hard working, very friendly, and fast. They deliver too. - Steve
http://www.okuma.com.mx/

• 6 months later...

Okuma Sushi Redux. I figure enough time has passed since they opened to give this place a try.

Service was attentive at 12:30, and I was the first to arrive, although over the next half hour several tables filled up. By then some customers were waving their menus around trying to get attention. Two waitstaff walked into the restaurant about 20 minutes after I arrived.

(It's a Mexican sushi chain, so I expect to find lots of cooked items on the menu. This is fine by me: there is a chain in Guadalajara that makes the best Asian food ever, and I've never tried their sushi.) I ordered the Teriyaki rice bowl, which was very tasty with lots of chicken, although the chicken was overcooked.  And there was lots of it.

Next, because it was Tuesday, the second sushi item was only 10p. So I got Traaankis from the Special Sushis list, and the 4-Cuatro, also a Special. No cream cheese in the Traaankis, which is warm with a breaded outer crust instead of nori, with a huge pile of breaded shrimp in green curry sitting on top. That shrimp was deelish.

The rice in the roll is the real tell of any sushi place. While this rice was definitely better than WalMart's sushi rice, that is not saying much. Since I had eaten at Suehiro in Guadalajara only a week or so ago, my tongue still could remember the taste of proper sushi rice with saki; this was not that. In the teriyaki bowl, it didn't matter, because the rice was fried, not white, and covered with sauce. And, because the roll was both breaded and warm, the rice was okay... but just okay.

Then came the 4x4: I ordered it because the roll slices are wrapped in shrimp, salmon, and surimi. How could I have missed that instead of nori, the rest of the outer shell is cream cheese? Well, I did, and so now we get to the crux of it. The menu has very little in the way of nigiri sushi (fish on rice, no rolls, no stuffings), and no sashimi at all, so this was my first taste of their fish. And it was all pretty much flavourless. But there was so much cream cheese, I couldn't eat it anyway. Don't get me wrong: I like cream cheese, on a bagel or something. But rice wrapped in it? Yikes.

They have some pretty good-looking soup type dishes. My recommendation would be to order only cooked items, which will steer you clear of all the cream cheese, although perhaps they will let me order the shrimp in curry all by itself. The rolls alone won't make any sushi lover happy.

I noticed after, that on Mondays, any rice is 50% off when buying a sushi.

Archived