Chapala.com Webboard

New sushi place

ComputerGuy

In the lower mall across from WalMart, beside Steren. No, I haven't been, and right now I don't think I want to. Heard several horror stories today. The place just opened, and several customers had to send food back: the smell, the taste... a good friend spent the night with a grievously upset stomach, after sending the dish back for something completely different.

If anyone has been, would be interested to hear. (Also, it is truly a Mexican sushi place, which means lots of cooked Chinese dishes... .)

Sushi is a fairly inexpensive, low profit and low demand product in our area requiring the freshest of items that must be consumed within 24 hours or less of being made. It has zero storage ability and needs to be made practically upon demand. Also, readily available in different forms, at about a half dozen other places. Centro Laguna rent is high. Cannot see how anyone can survive selling a low profit item in a high rent location without a high volume of sales. The ability to sell in the volume needed for that product to succeed just does not exist in lakeside.

Sushi is a fairly inexpensive, low profit and low demand product in our area requiring the freshest of items that must be consumed within 24 hours or less of being made. It has zero storage ability and needs to be made practically upon demand. Also, readily available in different forms, at about a half dozen other places. Centro Laguna rent is high. Cannot see how anyone can survive selling a low profit item in a high rent location without a high volume of sales. The ability to sell in the volume needed for that product to succeed just does not exist in lakeside.

Good analysis of the problem, but few new restaurants do that around here and have a short life as a result. I'll give it less that six months.

I'm going to say that any good sushi restaurant will be well-attended. Mr. Sushi sucks at it and has been here forever.

The answer lies in the excellent sushi being sold at the Monday market and at SuperLake Saturday mornings. Can't beat it. The only difference a restaurant would make to me is a wider choice of dishes.

This was the worst food I have ever eaten. We only ordered 3 things but really, it was dreadful.

Okuma Sushi is a restaurant chain. The "food" is made with mostly pre sliced frozen meat and vegetables. I ordered a simple chicken Teriyaki, it was a bowl of impossibly awful rice that was so chewy and dry it hurt my throat to swallow it. There were 4 small cubes of

Chicken that had been cooked to a frazzle and drizzled with a teaspoon of sauce. My husband ate one of the cubes and I ate one but we could not agree if it was fish or chicken, the waiter said it was chicken. They took that back without an argument and deducted the $80.00 from the bill. Next up was an eel sushi cone, it was edible but the tiny pieces of eel were almost undetectable. Then came a sushi roll that was supposed to have shrimp or something in it. Meh. It tasted the same as the roll.

The servers were clueless, the flys were pesky. The place was clean and looked nice, but there is absolutly no reason to go there. There isn't even a well intended owner to feel sorry for, it is a faceless corporate place with nothing to offer.

Let's just call the best available "sushi" sold at various places a "cream cheese roll" and be done with it. Someone at the Tuesday Market sells something that looks a little like sushi and is kind of tasty. Lots of cream cheese.

Then those who know what real sushi is supposed to taste like can sing a chorus of "if you knew Sushi, like I know Sushi, oh, oh, oh what a roll" to the tune of "if you knew Susy"........old, old song.

:unsure:

I have been waiting for this place to open but I won't go until I hear a good review. Sushi is my favourite food. I come from a place (Vancouver) that has many excellent authentic sushi restaurants. I've tried the place by Andares mall and another fancy one somewhere in central Guadalajara. Not very good. The best I've found in the area is the China Inn in Jocotepec. Second best Costco!? Neither use cream cheese. But I got sick after the last batch from Costco.

"Let's"

gringal, I love the way you so subtly try to get all of us/everyone on the same page for some of your highly thought out schemes. :lol::lol::lol:

The perfect sushi problem solution......

Better yet,

"let's" go on a junket to Tokyo..........and have a feast of the real deal instead of this fruitless search out here in the hinterlands. Oops......hate long flights and smoggy cities. :huh:

Gringal-- Sing along: I'll take Manhattan, the Bronx or Staten Island,too. . . . Well, don't really know personally about the Bronx or Staten Island, but Manhattan's a shorter flight than Tokyo and not smoggy. And Manhattan knows from sushi.

Lexy

Gringal-- Sing along: I'll take Manhattan, the Bronx or Staten Island,too. . . . Well, don't really know personally about the Bronx or Staten Island, but Manhattan's a shorter flight than Tokyo and not smoggy. And Manhattan knows from sushi.

Lexy

Oh ....good song, and closer, too. Maybe Vancouver, but there's no music to go with. :unsure: Or.........I left my Sushi in San Francisco.......... ^_^

One of the things about humans that is kind of funny.....and most of us are guilty of it: We move out in the boonies, far from the finest in anything, let alone great restaurants, to a place no top chef would even consider setting up shop, and we complain about the food, on top of which we're too thrifty (or cheap) to support the finest of the finest.

But hey......that's people. Me, too. I want Chinese and Thai like San Francisco, dammit!!

If you don't want to travel so far for raw fish you can get some pretty good ceviche around here,it's not sushi but it's tasty,I prefer the chunky style to the molida style.

Truth is, I'm perfectly happy to get cooked fish at Tabarka. No complaints. Recently they had the freshest salmon I've had in this area. Flaky and delicious.

Truth is, I'm perfectly happy to get cooked fish at Tabarka. No complaints. Recently they had the freshest salmon I've had in this area. Flaky and delicious.

I've heard nothing but good reviews of Tabarka,I wish we had restaurants like that near where I live.

Better yet,

"let's" go on a junket to Tokyo..........and have a feast of the real deal instead of this fruitless search out here in the hinterlands. Oops......hate long flights and smoggy cities. :huh:

I'd love to, but.......for a second meal you would have to guarantee me that we could find a real good carne en su jugo, chiles en nogada, or decent tamales, as man cannot live on sushi alone.

Sushi chains in the US can be OK. Example "Sushi Me" in Seattle area is quite good and a value for the money. I can tell you from experience do not go to "Sushi joint" in Gallerias. I am so disappointed that the new Sushi place lakeside sucks. Its not just the Sushi. I want the atmosphere and Sapporo or Kirin beer served. I want to watch a food artist make food. I love living lakeside but I do miss a GOOD Sushi experience and Trader Joes.

Where is the "Bamboo Inn" in Joco? I only know about the China Inn (who's sushi is not worth going back for, IMO). CostCo's sushi ranks about a millimetre above WalMart's (inedible), which I find amazing considering their usual quality. The sushi chain that has an outlet at the Gallerias: I never tried the sushi, but their cooked Asian dishes are the best "Chinese" food I've had in Mexico.

The lady that sells sushi at the Monday market and SuperLake on Saturday morning was not there this weekend, unfortunately. She never uses cream cheese in her rolls, though, and her prices are rock bottom: $55p for 12 or 13 roll slices, large, and that includes the soy and the wasabi.

Archived