Chapala.com Webboard

PV Most Expensive

Sonia

Puerto Vallarta is still high demand, rentals are full or going fast, and so many people are extremely loyal to this destination. I find, however, that most of them don't know, and don't want to know, about other areas of Mexico. I find this somewhat unique to Puerto Vallarta fans. That is exactly what many are like - hopelessly devoted sports fans!

That is the proven "old school" formula - get old, retire, move to a tropical paradise, buy a property as close to the beach as you can afford, and sit under a palm tree all day.

One of the reasons that P.V. Is rated so high is the infrastructure.

They have many "high end" restaurants, great shopping, excellent golf courses, international airport, good medical facilities etc.

P.V. Appeals to all types tourists and residents.

AARP rates P.V. as the top destination in Mexico.

A lot of very expensive nightclubs too - almost exclusively appealing to younger people visiting Puerto Vallarta from Guadalajara or Tepic, often staying at a parent owned or family condo. Another "old school" tradition, get your daughters into good schools/universities, dress and groom them well, and with any luck they will be married off to nice young man from a wealthy, important family by the time they are 25! You see them five or six to a stretch limo, dressed in what I suppose is the latest fashion. The parents have arranged this ride, also includes a driver and a bodygaurd. The driver stays with the limo and the bodygaurd makes sure no one wanders off, and to give the stinkeye to any local poor boys who have managed to save the 250 peso door fee. The limos are owned by the PV ex-chief of police, and most of the bodygaurds are off duty. I don't know how many limos they have, but they do a very good business.

When new highway opens it will even be more in demand.

Only 8.7% of homes are listed in US$. According to realtors here in SMA by pricing as such home sales are slow. I do not understand if a problem, why not change to pesos.

Also surprising Cuernavaca is priced as high as it is but likely do to having such great weather and proximity to DF although those from DF are not as prominent vs when I was much younger and went many weekends.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Home sales in PV are very slow and most realtors will tell people to expect a 20-30% discount from an already heavily discounted asking price. No transparency but agents claim few sales being made except for new condo construction that continues at a rapid pace. Many people say it is drug money being laundered, who knows. Many are hoping the new road brings more Tapatio buyers, vamos a ver.

We have some friends here at Lakeside that moved here from PV. Some of their friends had moved here and they came to check out the area. Reasons: In general things are less expensive and the climate here is much better. PV is a great place for tourists and snowbirds but not for retirees. IMHO YMMV

The new highway will be completed within 2 years and it will take 2 hours off the travel time and eliminate a lot of white knuckle twists and turns.

Puerto Vallarta is visually beautiful with the cliffs, mountain streams and tropical jungle all pouring into the deep, Pacific blue bay.The true sunsets, with the sun drowning in the sea are also reliably spectacular. Architecturally, not a lot to see, but many fantastic homes and condos which the public does not get to see. That's what you have to understand about Puerto Vallarta, it is a playground for the rich and has always been so since the early 1960's. To try to live there on a limited budget, without air conditioning, and restaurants/bars costing at least double of Lakeside, would be uncomfortable. The rich do not hang out on the beach, they have private swimming pools and boats/yachts. There are also many other beaches around the Bay, if you own or rent a car, or have a boat. They also have lots of events and fundraisers, it was Elizabeth Taylor who introduced the idea of lavish charity events. They are as much about parading latest plastic surgery procedures and fashion than about helping xxxx charity. Lots of celebrity sightings. A large gay community. Rich people, celebrities, gay people - all feel comfortable and relaxed there. There is still lots of room for Mexican families too. If you look on this webcam on a Sunday morning, you will see how popular the beaches are.

http://www.cuatesycuetes.com/en/index.php/webcam

That's what you have to understand about Puerto Vallarta, it is a playground for the rich and has always been so since the early 1960's. To try to live there on a limited budget, without air conditioning, and restaurants/bars costing at least double of Lakeside, would be uncomfortable.

Well Chillin, I must have missed something. We lived in PV for 5.5 years on social security and owned a really nice condo with air conditioning and our expenses were less than the 5.5 years we lived in Ajijic (especially electricity). Yes, high season and hot and humid summers are not pleasant but we were able to take a bus to Home Depot, Costco, Galleria Mall, Mismaloya, Sayulita and anywhere else we wanted to go. We were also able to walk to the Malecon and spend many days on the beach where reasonable food was readily available, and we still had money in our pockets.

What we noticed about PV is that it has a lot of good restaurants but much of the beach fronting on the town, particularly as you go south, is pretty poor and covered with chairs, tables and umbrellas. Plus you can't walk 5 feet without being accosted by someone selling something, some of them pretty aggressive.

It's all in what one goes to the beach for. If one goes for crowds, shopping, restaurants and night life it is a good place for all of those. Otherwise, there are much quieter places along the Pacific coast of Mexico.

I like Vallarta because there is a town with plenty of things to do. I do not like to go to the beach except to walk early in the morning or late in the day so it is perfect for me. I also like the part south of Vallarta with the clift, Boca de Tomatlan , Yelapa and further south.

It is a fun place to people watch as well and nice restaurants. As the other poster said go there out of season and it is quiet..

It's all in what one goes to the beach for.

Some actually go for the swimming and fishing too. Vallarta ocean temperatures 80F to a high of 85F, lots of fish including shells, fresh or saltwater. Lake Chapala 68F to a high of 71F, no fish, no shells, big diff. Sounds like I am talking myself to moving back to the beach house, I am not, at this stage of life absolute quiet and year round gardening suit us just fine!

We have some friends here at Lakeside that moved here from PV. Some of their friends had moved here and they came to check out the area. Reasons: In general things are less expensive and the climate here is much better. PV is a great place for tourists and snowbirds but not for retirees. IMHO YMMV

Right on El Saltos, great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Why buy a part time house when you can rent a hotel to match your pocket book!

• 6 months later...

Archived