Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican consulate in Phoenix?

Serenity6

I originally made a post on this subject in the Ajijic general forum, but don't know how to move it to this more appropriate place. So, a recap:

I'm going to be applying for temp residency at the MX consulate in Phoenix. I've been told by an immigration guy here that for a fee, he can arrange a pick up and drop off at the airport, and most importantly, arrange an actual appointment so I need not stand in line for hours. He will also be there on hand the entire time to ensure nothing goes awry.

Of course, if I come prepared, nothing should go wrong as it is not a complicated process. But I am mostly interested in the appointment factor, as I can't physically wait in line for four hours.

My concern is: is it really possible to make an appointment? I fear that I'll pay a fee to the immigration guy here up front, arrive at the consulate, all to be told by his partner that for some random reason or another, the appointment was lost or canceled or didn't go through.

If anyone has had their paperwork processed there, how did it go? I know every day is different depending on amount of staff and applicants, but is it like how it used to be (probably is worse) getting a green card in the US? (IE: Stand in line staring at 3am, by 10am they say its all filled up, you can't come in, go home tomorrow and you are unable to make appointments. Then, once you are in, its another 4-5 hours to get to speak to a human being.)

Also, do you get your papers on the spot? I need to plan my return flight and am told different consulates do different things: some give you your papers on the spot while others have you return in a few days to pick them up.

Many thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have assisted three people who did this in Phoenix. No appt is needed, to my knowledge they don't even make them. There are hardly ever any people in line when you show up after 9 AM. It takes about an hour to get the form filled out there, take the picture, show the financials and then wait for the visa. One friend went up and came back the same day and when they told him to come back in an hour to pick the visa up, he feared that would cut hit time too close to take the light rail back to the airport, so they sped it up for him and he had it in about 10-15 minutes. Have your visa photos done here first as they need one for the application, the rest will be used down here for the card and their records. The one they take of you while there is only for the visa sticker that goes in your passport.

We make appointments using the federal online system and you get a printed confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine walked into the Phoenix Consolate yesterday just to ask questions and get info. He was helped immediately. Looks like it will be very easy to go through the process there when the time comes. The info he was given for income or investment requirements for a Temporary Resident Visa, updated 9/10/2015 are:

"Investment receipts or bank statements showing an average monthly balance of over $21,500 UDS (12 months). OR

Applicant's employment, pension or bank statement with a monthly income of over $1300 USD (6 months)." These figures are much lower than anything I've heard or read previously. : - )

A friend of mine walked into the Phoenix Consolate yesterday just to ask questions and get info. He was helped immediately. Looks like it will be very easy to go through the process there when the time comes. The info he was given for income or investment requirements for a Temporary Resident Visa, updated 9/10/2015 are:

"Investment receipts or bank statements showing an average monthly balance of over $21,500 UDS (12 months). OR

Applicant's employment, pension or bank statement with a monthly income of over $1300 USD (6 months)." These figures are much lower than anything I've heard or read previously. : - )

Those are close enough to be accurate. Some consulates on their web sites post a little higher based on an exchange rate of approx. 15 to 1. The amounts are based on multiples of the national daily minimum wages at this time but efforts are being made to move away from daily minimum wage for everything connected to it.

The multiples are here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration.html

Enjoy Days of the Dead

Sonia

Archived