Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw Direct

bontepar

Regardless of admonitions, Al, there are a ton of people around here who do it, and will continue to do so until Shaw is no longer viable here. It's been going on for years, and no one really cares... least of all Shaw (as long as they don't know specifics).

Tread very carefully - this is not a good idea. You may get busted by Shaw for too many receivers on an account. They have all of your serial#s in their computer system. Per Shaw's policy (and your Service Agreement), you are only allowed a max. of 6 receivers per account. Even with their 8 port multi-switch on an antenna feed, that is a maximum of 3 DSR630s (2 ports each) and 2 DSR600's (1 port each). If their National "Courtesy" team in Montreal gets wind of you having receivers at more than one location on one dish - they will deactivate all of your receivers without your permission (put them into status 14). The only way you can get them re-subscribed is to call them and prove you are using them all at only one location in Canada. They no longer allow you to take one of your receivers up to the cottage for the summer. To qualify for the "Home-Away-from-Home" package, you will need to prove ownership of the property where the second install is (by means of a property tax receipt).

• 2 years later...
On 9/21/2015 at 6:51 AM, Ezzie said:

Tread very carefully - this is not a good idea. You may get busted by Shaw for too many receivers on an account. They have all of your serial#s in their computer system. Per Shaw's policy (and your Service Agreement), you are only allowed a max. of 6 receivers per account. Even with their 8 port multi-switch on an antenna feed, that is a maximum of 3 DSR630s (2 ports each) and 2 DSR600's (1 port each). If their National "Courtesy" team in Montreal gets wind of you having receivers at more than one location on one dish - they will deactivate all of your receivers without your permission (put them into status 14). The only way you can get them re-subscribed is to call them and prove you are using them all at only one location in Canada. They no longer allow you to take one of your receivers up to the cottage for the summer. To qualify for the "Home-Away-from-Home" package, you will need to prove ownership of the property where the second install is (by means of a property tax receipt).

This just happened to me...  not sharing an account with anyone....just had too many receivers  activated apparently  and they turned most of them off, except one. Shaw direct gave me a number to call... its the National Courtesy team. 

My  question is whats the best way about getting my receivers back activated... do you have any suggestions, before I talk to someone there?  I would have no problem calling except for the fact I am not in Canada. PLEASE reflect more on this situation if you can. Much appreciated. 

BTW I have been a Star choice/ shaw direct customer for over 15 years. Never saw this happening!!! :(

I had too many receivers too on my single account not shared with anyone. When talking to them up north about activating a new receiver they pointed out to me that I had maybe 9 receivers. I said most of them were no longer in use and we started with the oldest, cancelling that and worked up to the three that I was using, that they allowed..

I made my call from up north using my telephone number they had on record and there was no problem.

I would be afraid to call from down here unless I was using say a VoIP internet phone that had a number that was recorded with them, one they were familiar with. Oh my telephone number of record is in Seattle, as well as my billing address and the cottage that I have all my receivers in (at least that is what I tell them) is in Canada, a few hours to the north.

I think they probably have a pretty good idea, but no proof that one of those receivers travels with me when I head south.

I hope you are able to find a solution for your situation.

Thanks for the info and reply johanson,

Yeah it was last week when I called customer service using my Canadian phone #, and added a HDDSR 605, the CSR was really helpful and it went well , she didn't really seem to care about me having so many  , until that next Monday I noticed they deactivated 8 receivers from my account.  

I called the regular Shaw Direct customer service the moment I realized what happened, but they couldn't do anything about the  deactivated receivers because they were now not even listed in my SD account.

This is when I read the HD 605 receiver ID to get it put back on my account and activated. The CSR then told me that receiver was "Locked" and gave me this phone # 1866-280-4503 , with an extension to call. I tried it and it went to voice mail..... saying it was the "National Courtesy Team".. I left my account  and phone # but never received a call back.... so here is where I sit today.

I was hoping someone that has talked to this National courtesy Team"  could fill me in a bit more on what to expect when I call back. What exactly  are they going to ask of me to do?

Glad your experience went well johanson, but I think I'm in  hotter water with my situation.

Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated

I have an answer to all of your satellite problems.  If you have a reasonable, not great internet, I can help you get all the channels you would ever want but have to do this operation in person.  If any of you live in or near Vancouver, I can help you when you get back home.  Plus, you will be able to get all the free TV, movies and all sports in including ppv sports.

Can one stream CBUT Vancouver channel 2 live?  I know that Shaw offers streaming services for some of their channels. But we would need a good VPN to show that we are up north and not in Mexico

Unfortunately the CRTC is like the secret police and one can not always get all the Canadian channels on the internet but I assure you that I can get literally get thousands of channels and ppv sports and movies and I mean movies that are in the theatre.  I have tried lots of VPN's and found that the best one for reliability and price of Nord VPN and you can get a special 3 year deal which even brings down the price more.

I agree zippy.i use free apks and have helped people loading them onto android boxes or fire tv here.

I also use free vpn and is ok for streaming.can get bbc iplayer etc. In 720 hd!

Its not 100 percent substitute for tv but i would say95%.and free.

As you say not many canadian channels but all main u.s  uk and many other countries available including mexico. 

Couple of very good apps just out which has hd but really need 10 download to avoid buffering.

For standard def 5 download is fine.

What I will miss most will be watching the local stations in Vancouver and Seattle. Sure one can stream movies etc, but I enjoy watching my home town news live, something that apparently can not always be done

Archived