Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for regular frosted electric bulbs (not the low wattage)

Sandrita

Now if only the manufacturers would try to stop scamming us into buying the white ones, by not labelling properly. Only the warm ones are any good for everyday use.

I looked a year ago and asked the same question here, Sandrita. The ones I did have stored, I coveted, and now they are done.

Good news. The suppliers are getting better at letting the buyer see what color or how warm the frosted LED light bulb is. I was at the Seattle Costco last week and was able to pick up frosted 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs that were actually warm in color. The color temp was rated on the box of only 2,700 Kelvin. And it's the same color as my 40 watt frosted incandescent bulbs. And the LED bulbs which give off the same amount of light only use 8 watts or 8/40 or 20% of the power the old fashioned ones use. I was told that this product was shipped to the Mexican stores, but maybe not on as a regular basis as we might like

(According to Mr Google; Lower color temperatures (up to 3000K) are called warm white colors and range from red to yellowish-white in tone.) Oh here up North the local power companies pick up part of the cost of these more expensive bulbs in order to motivate you to buy them.

So if you can't find any down there, either pick some up the next time you are up North or tell your friends and relatives who come down to visit you to bring some with them for you.

Before LEDs became popular I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my Mexican house. I could purchase 5 CFL bulbs for $5.95 US plus sales tax less a City Light rebate of $5 US at the Seattle Costco.

Yes, my suitcase was often filled with boxes of CFLs each time I returned from Seattle. These days I bring LEDs

How to read lightbulbs color

Bulb Color: Ranges from 2300 to 6500 degrees Kelvin. If you like GE soft white 100watt lightbulb of our youth pick 2300/3000 also in Mexico called Calida. Like more white light pick 4000/6500 called Frio in Mexico. This standard applies to all bulbs and is on most packages these days.

Cultural differences and bulb color

Most folks in the US/Can prefer yellow like low white bulb 2300 to 3000 degrees kelvin. Folks in India much prefer a very white lightbulb like the Mexicans like. Just make sure the bulbs match in fixtures or it can look funny if you can see the bulbs.

Types of LED bulbs available

Home Depot in US has 25/40/60/75/100 all in frosted bulb format in two color types. Cost is 4 dollars to 15 dollars. 75 and 100 watt bulbs are still expensive but the others are all cheap. Another new bulb in last year is an LED three way 100/70/30 watts about 18 dollars. New decorator LED bulbs that are clear and look nice are available also. Phillips has new plastic warm color bulbs that I bought a bunch for three buck for 60 watt equivelant. Great bulb for lamps and the plastic makes it much less fragile. Many choices now at home depot and other stores. Sorry Mexican home depot does not have the same lightbulbs as US home depot which is Cree.

Why go to LED bulbs?

No mercury/ give six watts of light for one watt of electricity compared to four for the twisty bulbs/ Last a very long time/ are much more rugged to bad electricity/ instant on to full brightness/

That's enough for me!

Why not go to LED bulbs?

No reason other than spending money even if you have CFB already change the bulbs that are always on to LED and put LED in stairs and such where full brightness instant on is needed.

Give your old CFB bulbs to the Mexicans. They will be very grateful and you will be doing the grid a favor. I have done blind tests comparing GE soft white incandesant bulb to modern LED 60 watt bulb and no one can tell the difference. Yes I can tell the difference on many CFB especially the older ones.

Lots of reasons to hate energy saving bulbs in the past but LED bulbs are pretty good things and with the price down a no brainer for saving money.

Bulb Color: Ranges from 2300 to 6500 degrees Kelvin. If you like GE soft white 100watt lightbulb of our youth pick 2300/3000 also in Mexico called Calida. Like more white light pick 4000/6500 called Frio in Mexico. This standard applies to all bulbs and is on most packages these days.

No, that is actually the problem: many packages do not say Luz Calida or Blanca (don't think I've seen one that says Fria) on them; lots of them say nothing. And I'm sorry, but for me to remember the Kelvin/Celcius/Farenheit range when I'm looking at bulbs... well...

Computer Guy I have never seen a quality bulb company that does not put the color on the package. I have seen cheap Chinese bulbs that don't tell you anything in those four and five packs. I have not had good luck with these bulbs as the failure rate is very high with CFB so I can't imagine the LED bulbs being any more reliable. Actually Wal Mart has a very good selection of bulbs with many different choices. Go NOB to Home Depot and bring back some Cree LED bulbs. Have tested them down here for about a year with no failures. Can't say the same about early experience with the no name bulbs in the four packs in either CFB or LED format. Exception FEIT and Phillips make some nice bulbs in four pack format. Purchased new Phillips 60 watt equivelant plastic bulb for 3 buck plus tax at Home Depot. That's how cheap on sale they are now in US. Get folks to bring them down when visiting.

Well, two things: I kinda like to buy bulbs without leaving the country, lol. And when you say "quality" bulb company, that leaves a lot open to interpretation when one is shopping at WalMart or even CostCo. I know CostCo, for example, has been selling some brand in boxes of four for a long time, and a couple of others at different strength levels... and the cheapest ones for years have never said whether they are warm or cold. I haven't looked there in particular lately, but I frequently look at WalMart.

I just installed one that I bought at the lighting/hardware store in Riberas by the Oxxo from Tecno Lite. It has lots of info on the box about the equivalency in Ws, and in very tiny print the K reading. But nowhere on it (and it actually has printed on it $110 U.S., although that turns out to be your yearly savings, supposedly) does it say warm or cold. If I had known about the 6500 Kelvin rating, I would have known better, but seriously... very few of us are educated in that. Thanks to you, maybe not any more, but in this case the big thing on the box is "La luz es tuya". Ahem.

Archived