Chapala.com Webboard

Low cost lab for blood work?

Serenity6

My doc wants me to have monthly labs testing these items:

homocisteina

protein C reactiva

B H, Q S (6)

I probably didn't spell it all correctly since I don't read hieroglyphs.

The first lab quoted me $1,300 pesos. Is this about right, because this is gonna get expensive for me to do this each month. Anybody know if this is reasonable, or of a lab with cheaper prices?

Our doctors have told us that they don't always get reliable results from certain labs. I wouldn't shop this on price but would go to the lab suggested by your doctor. Or at least discuss which lab you are planning to use with your doctor.

They may all be similar in price but not necessarily in quality/reliability of results. At least that is what our doctors have told us. Obviously a personal decision as to how to address this type of thing. I personally would follow my doctor's recommendation and don't think you will find a significant difference in price.

We just paid 2100 pesos yesterday for a visit and those tests which means the tests are around 1300 pesos , that was a private lab in Guadalajara it is a good way to know what is going on with a treatment. so 1300 pesos sounds like the price. We do those every 2 weeks now we are doing them every month but since we are past our deductibles the insurrance pays for everything .otherwise it adds up pretty fast.

We told the doctor we would have them done in Ajijic Chopo or care is where we go. I ll ask them for a price on Monday. Discounts may or may not mean something, I just go by the net price...

Shop your lab test list around for a better price. The labs may give you a discount if they understand it is monthly. Labs today have to have an accreditation as to their quality standards for instance ISO 15189:2012. Article here Tje ISO stands for International Standards Organization and they are subject to inspection of their testing procedures. If you look for the notice of their ISO registration you'll be comparing apples to apples. There are now ISO standards for darn near everything except good governance.

Thanks, Geeser. I've been on these meds for over 12 years, and I understand and respect my doc wants to ensure my kidneys are filtering and doing their job properly, but I am going to also ask my doc if perhaps (particularly as I've never had an issue before and I'm on a very fixed income) we can do this quarterly or every three months. I'd be happy to sign a waiver. I don't believe my insurance will cover any of this. But if it must be monthly, I will certainly ask about discounts.

I can't imagine locals pay this amount if they need similar testing. But maybe gov't insurance for locals covers all this for them.

Archived