Chapala.com Webboard

Best Satellite / Cable Provider?

Kurbie

Haha... Chillin, you love to push streaming, but there are a LOT of people who can't deal with the complexities.

My answer is SHAW: many channels, lots of chances to watch something you missed because of the different time zones. All the U.S. networks and more. Not NetFlix, though.

I have Dish US thru CP Electronics in Guadalajara. It was about $1500us the first year that included the DVR receiver and annually $800 for service. I have the large 2.4 m dish and get all the channels we are used to having and that you mention plus all the HBO and network channels out of NY/NJ. Netflix is thru my Apple TV and wi-fi. Make sure your computer has a VPN service when you sign up for Netflix or you will get the vastly inferior Mex Netflix.

• 1 month later...

What are the other cable TV systems besides Shaw in Ajijic village? Is there much difference in price? We have something (included in rent) that gets several US stations, but only 3 are in English. We would like to request something different if cost is comparable and installation fee not too high. A fairly basic package would be fine, preferably with some news and a few network stations. BTW our Netflix streams with no problems and there is not much difference from the US version; same with Youtube.

Telecable is probably what comes with your rental. We have used it for 17 years.......not perfect, but DOES have CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox NY in English (when it's not down). Advantage is you get Mexican news channels, plus there are several other channels (92 in the basic package) and you can often find something to watch in English. The basic has several sports channels, and often even the Mexican channels will have golf, etc. in English.... ?? And the price is right!

Mexican news in Spanish -- sure, you won't understand it at first. But there are bottom of screen streamers that can help, plus you at least get to see some pictures of what's happening in your adopted country --- on stations both from Guadalajara and Mexico City.

They have a fancier package with many more channels to choose from, but I have no idea how many of them are in English.

Cable.satellite or KODI?

I myself have use KODI for past few years.

I have offered set up for a few of my friends, but they declined because of what they view as a hassle.

For some it is.

For them, Computer Guy is correct.

Stay with the cable or satellite.

Telecable is probably what comes with your rental. We have used it for 17 years.......not perfect, but DOES have CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox NY in English (when it's not down). Advantage is you get Mexican news channels, plus there are several other channels (92 in the basic package) and you can often find something to watch in English. The basic has several sports channels, and often even the Mexican channels will have golf, etc. in English.... ?? And the price is right!

Mexican news in Spanish -- sure, you won't understand it at first. But there are bottom of screen streamers that can help, plus you at least get to see some pictures of what's happening in your adopted country --- on stations both from Guadalajara and Mexico City.

They have a fancier package with many more channels to choose from, but I have no idea how many of them are in English.

The digital has more English channels than the basic. To watch the NY network channels, disconnect the cable from the wall to the digital box and connect it to the back of the TV. Or, buy a switch and change connections with it.

The digital has more English channels than the basic. To watch the NY network channels, disconnect the cable from the wall to the digital box and connect it to the back of the TV. Or, buy a switch and change connections with it.

No I suggest you use a two way splitter. Put one Coax into cable box and put other cable into tv. Than you auto program the Tv connection. To switch you use the source/input button on your TV. US channels are analog only and don't show up on digital box. Warning US network channels go bye bye quite often. Normal.

No I suggest you use a two way splitter. Put one Coax into cable box and put other cable into tv. Than you auto program the Tv connection. To switch you use the source/input button on your TV. US channels are analog only and don't show up on digital box. Warning US network channels go bye bye quite often. Normal.

Isn't that what I said?

Its not called a switch its called a splitter so no you didn't give them the right name for the part. You also didn't tell them to auto program the TV. Just filling in info that folks need. A switch is used in Sat. stuff but thats a whole pile of different worms. You need a high bandwidth two way splitter to set up your TV for both analog and to hook up cable box. Another way is to run a second coax wire from the cable companies distribution box out on the street. Almost always you split the signal inside the house unless you have low signal level problems at the street No offense intended your info was good just a word wrong. In technology correct words are important sometimes to get the right part. You can buy a switch (black box) with two input and one outputs and a remote but thats made for folks who don't have multiple inputs on the TV. Splitter is not expensive and saves you from having another remote on the table and keeps things simple. Two way splitter has one input and two outputs. About the size of a old matchbox. Do not use a cable switch if you have a PVR as it can only connect up one and you might lose recordings. My background is I was a system manager for a cable and satellite company used by a fortune 500 company. I also was a beta tester for Dish network early efforts in the US. Two way splitter and two short segments of coax with male ends on each will allow both analog cable and digital cable to work on one TV.

Archived