Chapala.com Webboard

This sweet girl will die in less then a week unless someone can help her.

(The owner sent the following email to a rescue volunteer.

I am simply posting to help out. Please PM me for email contact.)

I am moving back to the states permanently. I have 3 dogs, I have one left to find a home for.
Can you help put the word out?
If I don't find her a home I have to put her down SEPT 28!
I really hate to have to do this.
She is 5 years old, came from the first dog rescue place. She is over weight, likes walking, and has this ability that if there is a mouse or like the time my bird got out of the cage. I didn't know it, Shadow saw it and she will stand or sit in front of the critter, bark, in one tone until you go to her! She will not leave, she just wags her tale and stares at the bird, mouse scorpion or what every it is. She will follow it until you take care of it..
That's how I know the love bird and the parrot were out or I would have lost them.
She plays with other dogs, sleeps in the house and likes to lay out side in the sun.
Do you think there is a chance she can find a home?

This sweet girl will die in less then a week unless someone can help her. (photo below)

1zog3.jpg

Those words (title and email) are the wording of the email received.

Thanks and keep in mind, I didn't word this email received by a rescue volunteer and then forwarded my way. I just take it for it's word, and while I may wonder about the wording, I don't know anymore about this situation than what is stated. The main focus here is to find a safe haven for this dog. I cannot handle more than I already have.

If I can help (this dog) by getting word out then wonderful.

That's unlikely. The change in move/situation does not include dog transport or accommodations.

If I did not have three ( 2 young and annoying to other dogs) dogs at this point, I would offering a temporary residence.

PS this dog doesn't seem overweight at all from the photo angle provided... I have had a dog that was "rounder" and was trimmed down with proper diet.

I am wondering if the owner has considered taking the dog with her and finding it a new, hopefully forever, home NOB? Most of the NOB shelters are much less overburdened than our local shelters.

You and me both wondering the same. Maybe one of those shelters will come forward if they see this post.

Maybe an ignorant question, but isn't there an alternative other than euthanasia in a week if no one volunteers to take the dog as a result of this online plea? Any of the shelters have room?

The shelters have capacities and waiting lists. So, someone threatens to kill their dog and is supposed to jump to the front of the line?

Actually, I understand her tactic. She has a five-year-old, large, black dog which is very difficult to re-home. She has already received way more attention for the dog then if she just sent out an email saying she was moving and wasn't taking her dog with her (for whatever her reason).

Would it be possible to post a nicer picture of the dog??? And avoid the lady with the blue nails? Irresistible photos are the key here IMO. Sadly, the cutest dogs get adopted first. And a more positive posting would be helpful--good guard dog? easy to live with? no medical problems? eats dry food? piddles and poops in appropriate areas? barks only when appropriate? loving and affectionate? This dog must have many positive attributes that could be mentioned. Sort of like husbands--there must be SOME really good qualities one could mention. One just needs to search one's mind.

I will forward your response to the person who relayed the email to me.

It is so hard to believe that any vet would put a healthy good dog to death.

Would it be possible to post a nicer picture of the dog??? And avoid the lady with the blue nails? Irresistible photos are the key here IMO. Sadly, the cutest dogs get adopted first. And a more positive posting would be helpful--good guard dog? easy to live with? no medical problems? eats dry food? piddles and poops in appropriate areas? barks only when appropriate? loving and affectionate? This dog must have many positive attributes that could be mentioned. Sort of like husbands--there must be SOME really good qualities one could mention. One just needs to search one's mind.

At this point, let's not pick apart this woman's tactics and methods to get her dog noticed. That won't help the needy dog. It does sound like a neat dog, what with noticing a mouse or scorpion or other threats to the household and calling attention to them.

Lexy

Does Anita's Animals still exist? Her policy used to be to never turn an animal away. What about the young man named Alvaro, who is becoming well known locally on Face Book, but non existent on this forum. Everything posted seems to be about Lucky Dog, which houses the least number of animals of any shelter, with an occasional mention of The Ranch.

I wish we could stand down and try to show as much compassion for this human as for the dog. None of us know what has brought her to this decision and thus really shouldn't judge her. One of the local shelters has offered to take this animal, so that option is out there if she feels it is the right one. I can tell you if circumstances became so dire for me that I had to leave and could not take my dogs with me, I would do everything possible to find the dogs a good new home myself, which is exactly what this person is doing. If that was not possible, I would never put my pampered dogs into a shelter situation. Dogs that have been beloved pets generally do not do well in a shelter situation. Now, please, let's just back off and let this person make the decision she thinks is best for her and her dog.

Her name is Shadow

Agreed. We don't know the situation, the person, and there are many life challenges that are overwhelming. Let's not give into judgement... bad use of energy, better spent on Shadow, who seems like such a sweet dog.

To focus on the dog, not the person is what may help this animal. That we don't agree with the wording of the email, is understandable. I probably should have cleaned the email up title included Maybe simply pasting and copying was not wise on my part, but it is done.

If anyone would like to be put in touch to scoop up this dog, and deliver it to safety... thanks... Just PM me for the email.

Yeah Shadow does seem a special/neat little soul, and quite a character, to simply keep watch on an escaped bird, or to bring attention to a scorpion. My dogs would tear or pester anything that moves... so that speaks of a calm nature.

At this point, let's not pick apart this woman's tactics and methods to get her dog noticed. That won't help the needy dog. It does sound like a neat dog, what with noticing a mouse or scorpion or other threats to the household and calling attention to them.

Lexy

I'm sorry ..................no to standing down! This person, regardless of her situation has threatened to KILL HER DOG UNLESS ONE OF US steps up to take it. How deplorable. Shame on her. And I for one would certainly want to know the name of the local vet who would consider putting a young, healthy dog down on this account.

The shelters are full. Why can't this "woman" take her dog back NOB with her and find a home where a better possibility might exist.

Give me a break, I am so sick and tired of all the reasons and excuses "not to care for YOUR animal."

At the very least, she (OP) should be asking this community for someone to "foster/care" for HER dog until it could be re-homed.

Threatening to kill it makes me sick.

I may be the OP but I don't even know the person who wrote this email. I am simply posting it here for greater visibility, and

thus the chance for this dog to find a new owner, safe haven, foster or shelter.

I don't even know this person. I am hoping this visibility may bring someone who wants to help the dog.

Never met either the owner or dog. Wouldn't do harm to any dog, or even vacation without my own dogs. Simply (copied and pasted) posted the title of the email and the contents here.

To debate the reasoning behind the email will not do any good. The focus should be to find a safe place for this deserving pooch.

In fact, In hindsight...

I believe a well meaning friend or neighbor of the owner, circulated that email, and titled it as she may have felt very upset at the plan to kill a dog. Let's face it, it is emotionally racking to hear a dog may be put down, thus the title the person helping assigned to this. Hopefully any decent vet would refuse that request!

I'm sorry ..................no to standing down! This person, regardless of her situation has threatened to KILL HER DOG UNLESS ONE OF US steps up to take it. How deplorable. Shame on her. And I for one would certainly want to know the name of the local vet who would consider putting a young, healthy dog down on this account.

The shelters are full. Why can't this "woman" take her dog back NOB with her and find a home where a better possibility might exist.

Give me a break, I am so sick and tired of all the reasons and excuses "not to care for YOUR animal."

At the very least, she (OP) should be asking this community for someone to "foster/care" for HER dog until it could be re-homed.

Well, Guiness, since you feel so strongly about this, and are not prepared to consider things that might be at play here, it seems you have only one option -- step up and take the dog yourself!

Natasha, your response is illogical. Whether or not someone agrees with the tactic or considers what else may be in play here has nothing to do with whether they adopt a (or another) dog. People who feel the same way as Guiness are working as hard (or harder) than you are to find this dog a home. All everyone on this thread is doing is offering their opinion. One person's opinion is just as valid as another person's.

Meanwhile, all these posts are keeping the thread front and center. This is good for Shadow, the dog who needs a new home.

I know who the owner of this dog is and I must say how shocked I am about what she plans to do. I have lived in Lakeside for over 6 years and first met her when I moved here. She was very active as an in home pet sitter who had to be booked months in advance. Her husband stayed home with their dogs in Chapala Hacienda. She seemed to be a woman who truly loved dogs. I just don't get how someone could just leave their pets who are family members.

I am not asking for anyone's opinions about MY opinion. Guess I just had to vent.

Archived