Chapala.com Webboard

New to Mexico and to Lake Chapala

AussiesAbroad

Gday Folks

We are a family of 5 moving from Canberra to Chapala in October this year. So excited to be coming.
The family consists of myself 43 my wife, 41, our 20 year old Son and our VERY tiring but hilarious 18 month old twin baby boys.

We are looking forward to meeting many people, learning a new language, joining the Lake Chapala Society, The Gardening Club and I am sure, lots of other wonderful things.

We are both very much interested in permaculture/food forresting, theatre, cooking etc.

Looking forward to seeing you around and about.

Hello Walkers :)

Thank you for the welcome. The brood also consists of our Daughter her lovely partner and our 2 year old Grandson, but they will be staying back in Australia.
We are staying at Hotel Perico when we arrive, until we find our feet.

Are there many Aussies in town or will we be a novelty?

Welcome, and we have a bit of everybody from all over the planet here. G'Day, mates.

Even if the Hotel Perico is a bit out of the way, the bus service is omnipresent, all day and all around. Taxis easily available, too.

If you want to rent a car, Mark Turford is your go to guy: cell: 045 333 398 9045.

Lots of variety to choose from.

That's funny - I was going to post about Hotel Perfico, and you are already on it. I have heard good things - the owners have a young family and friendly dogs. It is economical and safe, but apparently, can be a bit noisy on weekends with the Mexican holidaymakers. You will need a car, especially if you are looking to rent a family size house and property.

You are arriving at the start of the cooler time of year. It is never cold or freezing here, but when the sun hides behind a cloud, you get a quick reminder we are at 1,600 meters altitude and that the high temp of the day is late afternoon. Bring jumpers and fleecies. See! I can speak the Oz!

I hadn't heard about food foresting before - sounds very viable and in fact there are many Mexicans surviving this way in the mountains right now. I don't know how safe it is wandering about, many of these people are desperately poor, but too proud to beg in the towns, but at the same time, not willing to rob or steal from wandering strangers. You will have to make your own decisions, there could be criminals on the run too.

There is an active organic veggie growing group which meets once per month.

The Hotel is a bit "remote" and given the age and size of your family I would think you better start looking for a "suitable" rental home ASAP. As a matter of interest are you going to be "self employed" or what?

As a matter of interest - what business is it of yours? Its in a quiet 4 acre forest, a family resort with lots of family fun activities, 5 minutes to Walmart, with a daily free shuttle if you want, ten minutes to Ajijic, five minutes to Chapala malecon. Consistently gets 4 and 5 stars on Tripadvisor.

As a matter of interest - what business is it of yours? Its in a quiet 4 acre forest, a family resort with lots of family fun activities, 5 minutes to Walmart, with a daily free shuttle if you want, ten minutes to Ajijic, five minutes to Chapala malecon. Consistently gets 4 and 5 stars on Tripadvisor.

Methinks you overstate it being a "family resort"...coming from Canberra is not like coming from the sticks in Alabama....I guess my 20year old's would last 2/3 days.....but we shall see

You mentioned theatre. There are several organizations here in which you can be involved in small or big ways and in various capacities. Check out...

Lakeside Little Theatre - the oldest English language theatre in Mexico, now in it's 51st season

http://www.lakesidelittletheatre.com

The Naked Stage - a readers' theatre

https://www.facebook.com/The-Naked-Stage-250310031711427/timeline/

Bravo Theatre

(Sorry, I couldn't find a good link)

Hi and good morning. Thankyou for all your replies. I'll try to answer/address things

We will hire a car eventually, we very much appreciate the contact.

Yes, we are just jumping in at the Deep end. Have done that before with Malaysia. This is our first time in Mexico

Hubby works remotely in IT, so this enables us to live pretty much anywhere. I do a variety of small things that work in around the twins.

We have friends already living at Perico, with children. So while mine will an the youngest, they won't be alone.

Food Forresting isn't what you think. It is a system of growing food.

Our 20yr old has an autoimmune condition, so if lives very quietly. The hotel and it's pool and grounds and the net will suit him perfectly.

What great theatre groups!

I have had trouble finding the organic garden group in town. Do they have Facebook.?

We are coming ott of a Canberra winter. The Lake winter temps will be so warm compared to here.

We have lived all mums in Australia. Central country Victoria makes the Lake seem like Sydney in comparison

We are staying at Hotel Perico when we arrive,

Good choice in my opinion,we have stayed there many times,the managers,their dog Rocky and the grounds are very nice,the pool is well maintained and there's a outdoor kitchen you can use.

Aussie folks, John McWilliams is the best contact for the veg gardening group, mcwilliamsmx.gmail.com. Not much permaculture going on in this immediate área, though there is a lot going on in other parts of Mexico. There is a man teaching earthbag construction across the lake. He´s called "Dude". He has a community building and several domes he´s made out of earthbags. He owns 30 hectares on the lake and is currently selling half acre plots for (last I talked with him) $20,000. He´s developed strict natural building protocols for building on the lots, wanting to preserve the land, attract permie types. I lived in a permaculture ecovillage in the States. It would be interesting to talk to you when you get here.

Information for IT person who wants to work over internet.

If you can afford it get both DSL (Telmex) and Cablemodem (Telecable) as it helps to stay up if you have both. Beware fast speeds may not exist (I have .8 download ) because wires are too far from DSL switch. I use cablemodem at 10 download and DSL at .8 for backup and VOIP phone. PM me if you want to talk as I am retired geek. Most answers will be it depends but you understand that right? I pay 600P a month for my Telecable internet with no bundle for 10 download. It goes up to 15 here. High speed is coming as we have all new large coax wires for cable in town but its not all hooked up yet. Its 8am and I am sitting in shorts in my wide open house. Can't beat the people or the weather. Very smart population. Locals are extremely friendly. You will do fine here if you lived in Malasia before. Very civilized place in my opinion. Use common sense here leave your Rolex and Mercedes home and wear a timex and a Nissan.

Concerns about your 20 year old son and his disability

Be sure to have uber filtered water with UV light for your 20 year old son because of his condition. Not that water is bad but water goes off and on so water that was clean might get contaminated. In my opinion if you want bottled water use Ciel (coke) or Santorini (pepsi) as those folks know how to clean water. I had good luck before filter system was installed in my house using Katya in Chapala. Might want to get portable UV light to double treat bottled water. Misquitos during day here can carry Dengue fever. Look for house/apt with screens. I am not a big fan of having 20 million Vaccines but I probably would think of getting Hepatitis A and B vaccine BUT I am not familiar with your sons condition so do the research. While we are not a third world country here we do have problems like Dengue and Food poisoning sometimes but not often.

Dengue is the worst. We had to watch out very carefully in Penang, Malaysia.Was a stroke of sheer luck the babies didn't get it.

I contracted it in Thailand I'm 2009, nearly killed me. No jokes. The oldest got it too just not as bad. We will be very careful. Thankyou for the heads up!

Will look in to the water treatment methods you describe.

Hubby said he would like to PM you over the weekend. Geeks are the best!

Archived