Chapala.com Webboard

Menaje de Casa

SOBDave

I'm preparing to drive down to Lake Chapala next month. In the process of getting my Temporal Visa, the agent at the Mexican consulate in Los Angeles told me that even though i'm only bringing clothes, computers, some kitchen items, etc., i must, according to her, submit a Menaje de Casa. If i don't "I will be taxed". I called another Mexican consulate office (in Nogales) and was told the exact opposite; that a Menaje was only necessary if i was moving furniture or a whole household of belongings. Any info or clarification would be much obliged.

The "Menaje de Casa" is only necessary if you are bringing in a lot of household items such as furniture AND are going to be using a broker to clear your goods for you. If you are just driving in with the items you are bringing in the car or SUV with you and not using a third party to clear the goods for you it is not necessary. In the rare event you do get asked for a list of items and their value, you might want to have with you a general list of the non-personal items (such as computers & kitchen items you mention) with an estimated garage sale value. Depending on the border crossing you use, Aduana may make you pay a small fee if they think the value of the goods is substantially higher than your personal exemption limit ($300 US). Many crossing just wave you on for small stuff like this. Don't sweat the details.

I drove down several years ago with an F-150 pickup completely full of personal/household items. Things like clothes, books, kitchen items, etc. but also a few lamps and other things. A few tools and electronics items but not a lot. I had a complete list of the items in each box - sort of like the menaje de casa we prepared when we shipped furniture and other items down a year or so before that,

I was stopped at Aduana as I crossed the bridge and asked where I was going, what I was bringing, etc. I showed the list and the young man took a quick look. He asked me the total value of everything I was bringing - I had intentionally not included prices on that list but had another version with prices. I got the feeling that he was sincerely trying to do his job but was also helping "coach" me to mention a reasonable but low value on the entire lot. After we chatted for a bit we agreed on his "suggested" number. Don't remember exactly what it was but my reaction was that it was lower than I would have come up with on my own.

He gave me a form and directed me to a window where i paid the tax - and if I remember correctly I paid less than $50 USD. He was very pleasant and helpful and at no time did i feel like he was looking for anything or trying to get any money from me. I came back with the receipt and talked a bit more with the young man and his coworkers who were standing around. They were very interested in hearing about the Lake Chapala area - had heard of it but none of them had been there. They were also very interested in why I was moving there and welcomed me to Mexico.

All in all a very easy, painless and pleasant experience. My only suggestion is to have a pretty complete and well organized list - just in case. I've crossed several other times in our SUV completely loaded - including a roof rack on one trip. In all of those cases I was just waived through. Pretty simple process and even if you are stopped I would be VERY surprised if any tax bill was unreasonable.

• 2 months later...

To recap what I understood, if you do not use a commercial shipper, then no Menaje de Casa is needed for bringing in your entire household goods (although having a good inventory is a good idea). I read someone's anecdote somewhere else on the web that it took them seven hours to get through Aduana at Laredo.

If anyone else has the experience of bringing all of the belongings themselves (in one trip), I'd appreciate your sharing your experience.

Archived