Chapala.com Webboard

Copper Canyon Trip

Tomas

Starting to put together a Copper Canyon trip for next fall...Have done some reading and spoken to a couple who have done it...Looking for input regarding your experiences in planning this trip..Consensus seems to be to start in Las Mochis/El Fuerte and wind up at Creel and then back to Guad. Others say it doesn't matter and just as easy to fly into Chihuahua travel to Creel and end in Las Mochis. I am there for the scenery and have no interest in the bead and trinket tourist junk . TIA

The CC trip I have planned in my head goes west to east, for no better reason than it climbs in elevation. Just makes sense to me because I want the drama of it to grow and reveal itself. I also want to include a trip to the bottom of the canyon with the top, so time of year is important. My trip would be sometime between late September to mid-October, or the spring equivalent, since I'm told weather conditions are dramatically different top to bottom. Definitely should factor in time of year if you want to do both the canyon rim and down below.

From everything I've read, you can't really lose direction-wise. It'll be great either way. Let travel convenience/connections be your guide if there's a big difference between the two, price-wise or convenience-wise.

Haven't done it yet, but it's definitely in my remaining top three "Don't miss in Mexico" experiences.

I am there for the scenery and have no interest in the bead and trinket tourist junk .

What have you got against China? :lol:

by rail, start los mochis, catch train in el fuerte. stay at balderrama hotels. santa anita, posada hildago, mision, barrancas del cobre. better yet, drive. start at creel down to cerocauhi and back. then creel to sinfarosa canyon, spend nite in guachochi. creel to batopilas. depending on your vehicle choice, (4wd better, but a crv would be ok too) many dirt road opportunities. since balderrama hotels are european plan, they will pack lunch for you and hold dinner at the next hotel, awesome. as an aside if the sierra lodge is still open a night there should not be missed, by cusarare. even better yet, take your motorcycle.....

Starting to put together a Copper Canyon trip for next fall...Have done some reading and spoken to a couple who have done it...Looking for input regarding your experiences in planning this trip..Consensus seems to be to start in Las Mochis/El Fuerte and wind up at Creel and then back to Guad. Others say it doesn't matter and just as easy to fly into Chihuahua travel to Creel and end in Las Mochis. I am there for the scenery and have no interest in the bead and trinket tourist junk . TIA

Our trip was some years ago and while in the starting point town, I checked out a few shops. It was early enough that deliveries were being made and a truck pulled up in front of one with several crates clearly stamped "made in China". A wee bit disillusioning, but a great trip once the train got going. Amazing scenery, and at the top, staying in the hotel cut into the hillside was a rare treat. Well worth the trip.

Archived