Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone Have a Good Weapon for Fighting Mosquitos This Year?

moonhill

We have always suffered from the Mosquitos, especially since we enjoy sitting outside and don't want to screen in our terrace, but this year is unusually bad (maybe from so much rain?) and we're losing the battle. We have replaced all our screens and they are even in the house more than we're used to leaving us nowhere to hide. We have tried growing plants like rosemary and lavender, all the sprays and lotions known to man, citronella candles (don't work at all) and always have the bug zapper paddle within easy reach. This is our eighth year here full time and we have always endured but never have we seen them like this. Enjoying our yard and terrace is one of life's little pleasures and one of the reasons we moved here from the cold frozen snow covered north. BTW, we frequently check for standing water and have a treatment for our fountain. We are open to any suggestions that don't involve moving to another country.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could try smoke. The coils are too small and contain insecticides. I don't know if you can buy a metal bucket anymore, I wouldn't trust clay for charcoal briquets. The most reliable place to buy charcoal is 7-11, they always seem to have them. Get a few briquets going, move the bucket to an upwind location, then find the smoke which works for you. I am lucky that I have a large growth of rosemary to smolder. On Sunday, I slow smoked a pork shoulder with green lime wood, and the smoke definitely made a difference with the skeets. An afterthought, put some sand (arena) in the bottom of the bucket making it less likely to be knocked over.

We live a little north of PV now and yes the little skeeters or what we use to call no see ums are pretty bad here also.When getting eaten alive at a restaurant the waiter gave us a bottle of AUYENT.Seems to work pretty good .They mainly go after my legs so that is where I spray it on myself.We also use a coil under the outside table.Both are citronela based.What have really been driving me crazy are those damn biting flies.Spend all day when outside trying to kill them with a fly swatter.The thing I hate about them is they keep biting my back as I don`t wear a shirt when home,too hot here for that

Trying to "fight" successfully mosquitos is impossible IMO.

I place a multispeed pedestal fan 2 or 3 meters from where I am sitting/sleeping and have no problem. They can't fly thru the breeze. Lowest speed works for me. Sometimes I use a higher speed if I set the fan to oscillate to clear a wider area. Of course, you now have the discomfort of being in a constant breeze, but I prefer that to the mosquitos.

Trying to "fight" successfully mosquitos is impossible IMO.

I place a multispeed pedestal fan 2 or 3 meters from where I am sitting/sleeping and have no problem. They can't fly thru the breeze. Lowest speed works for me. Sometimes I use a higher speed if I set the fan to oscillate to clear a wider area. Of course, you now have the discomfort of being in a constant breeze, but I prefer that to the mosquitos.

Your method works better than anything else we've tried. I'd rather put on a wrap than get bitten.

In addition, I recommend a DEET free repellent called "Fly-Out" sold at Soriana. (DEET isn't good for living creatures). You need to use it every half hour or so to do the best job. In addition, we have the tennis racquet style zapper to "secure the perimeter" before we sit down to enjoy the terrazza in the evening. Bleach in the fountain gets to the larvae.

I've heard that Vicks VaporRub was the best treatment once you've been bitten. Andantol works too, but is harder on your skin.

I couldn't help but to nag once again to install these free, highly effective insect destroyers - up to 1,200 mosquito-sized insects every hour, and each destroying 6,000 to 8,000 insects each night.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/control-insects-bat-habitat.aspx

Bats are good; no question. However, they just loved to "hang around" the brick boveda ceiling of our terrazza and leave piles and piles of you know what all over the outdoor furniture. I decided that they should hang somewhere else, so we put an upward shining floor lamp out there. Bats moved on.

So......we have skeeters instead, but at least their poop is very, very small.

I bought one of those propane foggers from Amazon. The problem is getting the insecticide here. I have to order from Amazon and have it sent to Sol Y Luna. 50% extra cost. The system works ok. I have always used this type of spray in Florida. Where the mosquitos are so big you have to put chicken wire on the windows to keep the really big ones out.

Someone on the board had Garlic barrier brought in and kindly allowed us to buy the extra bottles. It really works I have a large property and I spray with Garlic barrier on the lawns and garden every 3 weeks no mosquitoes great stuff.

Thank you for this recommendation! I have been looking for a natural solution. Garlic!

The Garlic Barrier people also package the same stuff as "Mosquito Barrier." I believe there is no difference... Below is a link to their testimonials. I plan to order a gallon of this with delivery via Sol e Luna.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/testimonials.html

I had posted the garlic barrier product on this web board before.

Not being able to get this in via Amazon, I found a company here in Mexico which offers.

A bottle goes a long way, for you are only using 6 oz (professional strength recipe) per batch.

I ordered through Handy Mail and they had extra bottles on their shelf last I looked a few days ago.

Curious though...

How much a Gallon of this costs with shipping via Sol Y Luna. Does anyone have the email for

Sol Y Luna? I wrote to them a bit back, and never received a response, so I must have the wrong email?

I'd rather buy larger quantities if it is less expensive. It keeps a long time!

The brand I bought via Handy Mail (next to SuperLake) has kept the population way down here!

(PS I have the recipe to mix it up if anyone needs it)

Thank you for this recommendation! I have been looking for a natural solution. Garlic!

The Garlic Barrier people also package the same stuff as "Mosquito Barrier." I believe there is no difference... Below is a link to their testimonials. I plan to order a gallon of this with delivery via Sol e Luna.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/testimonials.html

I just returned from a week in Chiapas. San Cristóbal was great--cool to cold temperatures and no mosquitos. I travelled down into Palenque and the Mayan ruins throughout the area and found the temperature to be quite hot and very moist. The mosquitos were having a convention in the jungles and even my spray (OFF!) was of little help. I asked the Mayan people living in all that heat with their flying "friends" how they dealt with the mosquito problem. I figured that it must have been hell for those folks to live in a place infested with them (maybe that accounts for them abandoning their cities :mellow: ​.

I don't know if this works or even how to go about preparing it but the Mayans said that they burned termite nests and that the smell kept the creatures out of their little settlements for days. I'm just putting this information up to let you know what folks do who have been dealing with the problem for at least 1800 years in what is today Mexico. A fun fact to know and tell, so to speak.

Meanwhile, I hope that I never find a termite or its nest on my property or that of my neighbors!

Cool. I'll check it out locally prior to a larger garlic barrier purchase. Thanks Porti.

I read that a gallon is about $85 USD.

It keeps well for 2 years.

I imagine the import fees with Sol e Luna are about 50% which makes a gallon an estimated $128.

One gallon covers 5 acres.

I am hoping BOBOS also hate garlic. Any noted bobo reaction with the garlic barrier?

I had posted the garlic barrier product on this web board before.

Not being able to get this in via Amazon, I found a company here in Mexico which offers.

(PS I have the recipe to mix it up if anyone needs it)

Please do share the recipe - and the info for the Mexican company from which you buy Garlic Barrier. Thanks in advance.

Please do share the recipe - and the info for the Mexican company from which you buy Garlic Barrier. Thanks in advance.

Spray all plants, including bushes and ones on a covered porch>>.

Garlic Barrier Recipe:

I found my pump canister sprayer at a garden store here for 205 pesos. Get a nice one with a wand sprayer, it will make a difference in the ease of application.

Canister type sprayers are available at such stores as Home Depot, etc. and generally cost about $16-$20 each and hold from 2 to 3 gallons of liquid. Canister sprayers must be pumped up with air pressure and they have a wand for spraying. The formula for a 2 gallon canister sprayer is: 3 ounces Mosquito Barrier, 3 ounces Canola or other oil and 1 table spoon of soap (see above for soap types) then fill canister with water. Mix well and spray.

Specifics:

You will need canola oil & Palmolive Original liquid dish soap (I bought mine at Superlake).

I use 6 ounces of Garlic Barrier per gallon of water. That is the professional strength version.

First mix the Mosquito Barrier, oil and soap together and then add it to the water. Stir the entire mixture until homogenous. If you have very hard water, add a bit more soap to make everything mix well.

When spraying grass with the wand on the end of your pump-up Hudson type sprayer, hold the wand nozzle about 8 inches above the grass and sweep it back and forth. Make sure the spray gets deep into the grass and use a small spray droplet size.

Spray all dark places such as under porches, in vents leading to basement or beneath the house, even spray sides of house, porches, driveways and areas that are not covered with grass - this all helps.

Someone on the board had Garlic barrier brought in and kindly allowed us to buy the extra bottles. It really works I have a large property and I spray with Garlic barrier on the lawns and garden every 3 weeks no mosquitoes great stuff.

What is a garlic barrier?

The following description is taken from the internet.

Garlic Barrier is a very strong liquid garlic extract that mixes with water and is sprayed on farm and garden plants to keep insects off. The garlic used in Garlic Barrier is a very powerful variety which is much more potent than the garlic found in grocery stores (in fact, our lab people here refer to it as "super garlic"). There is a huge list of insects that it works on and you may see them by reviewing our label on this web site (see link to label info at page bottom). One gallon, properly mixed with water, covers 10 to 12 acres of row crops or 5 acres of orchards. It imparts no garlic taste on any crops or plants that are sprayed. The odor of garlic in the air or on the plant disappears in about 30 minutes. It's all natural and listed by OMRI as suitable for organic farm use. It's marvelous for farm, home garden and lawn care use and completely safe around people, pets, animals and fish. As you read and learn about Garlic Barrier, please make sure you scroll down to the bottom of this page where you will find additional links and information about our product.

Archived