Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Dedicated Drummer & Bass for Established Band

Dee Blues

The 10 Best Places to Retire in Mexico

August 31, 2015 http://www.munknee.com/the-10-best-places-to-retire-in-mexico/

Ajijic is #1, but golly, they warn you of the noise there:

Noise levels: This can be said about any area in Mexico but I still think it needs to be said. Village life is noisy with live music, church bells tolling at all hours, roosters who crow all day and night, fireworks, parades and processions, parties and cars driving by announcing everything from their wares to who has a fresh catch of fish down at the pier. On Mother’s Day, some lucky moms are woken before dawn with mariachi bands serenading them outside their window. If this would drive you crazy, then be sure to look for homes on the outskirts of the villages or in a planned development, or gated community. Thankfully, there are a lot of places to choose from to escape the noise.

Getting any enforcement of the noise ordinance from this rather useless municipal government is a pipe dream.

I live in Chapala, close to three restaurants that serve live music along with the food. There is also a disco located atop one the restaurants. All of these places have complied with the new federal noise regulations as well as the local noise ordinance. It's a lot quieter in my neighborhood these days. I also know of least two clubs in Ajijic that have complied with the new regs, lowering the volume and cutting down their hours of live music. One of these clubs was actually shut down by the municipal government and then had to pay a substantial fine in order to reopen. Seems to me municipal government has been doing its job. I suggest you learn to work with the system. Have you personally filed a complaint with the proper authority? Was the complaint investigated? What was the result of the investigation? Perhaps La Bodega is in compliance with all regulations.

Well one of the neighbors plays there. The rest are mostly gone or are weekenders. The houses next to it or behind it are for sale (one at a fire sale price with no takers) or rent dirt cheap. It's a pain in the ears to us but it is a big economic loss to some of my neighbors. Most of the affected people have either given up and left or aren't here much of the time anyway.

Alex, I took a sound meter out there and measured. They aren't even close. However, the fact the owners are related to the local PRI big shots may have something to do with the fact that complaints have been filed and ignored. I would be willing to bet that when you moved there, the situation was as you described.

It was not that way for us.

In any case, any specific advice you can offer, names, procedures, etc. will be gratefully accepted. Please PM me.

It comes down to this: We can control this kind of thing as a community or not.

One is either part of the problem by supporting it or one is part of the solution by not supporting it..

And then there are those who have left the country but think they know what is going on in my neighborhood...

If you read the previous post on this site you will read that a few tired old gringos on this site complain about everything.. Walmart, cable TV. The Internet, the roads the music... and so on and so.. ... If you notice it's usually the same ones.. I guess that's how they get to rack up thousands of posts...

Five posts and all you have to contribute is personal unpleasantness.

OK. Clearly you know all about us. I'm awed that you are such a fast study.

Why do I have this feeling you are yet another who doesn't live anywhere near this place and doesn't have a clue about it?

Well at least our non resident expert on this thread who doesn't live in Mexico thinks your post is cool

That should close your evening with a nice feeling of accomplishment. :D

I'm done. The people who actually know this place and have heard it up close have confirmed what I say about it here and on other threads. As for the non-residents of this area, Ajijic or Mexico....

My invitation to those who doubt how noisy it is stands--come and hear for yourselves. I'll even throw in a beer or a glass of wine.

BTW, and this is pretty funny when you think about it, I had a "dialogue" with one of these musicians and he admitted he is half deaf. Keep that in mind if you are dumb enough to sit in front of those speakers and get blasted by their music.

And remember, it CAN happen to you too. :)

Dee Blues, you might want to post your notice on Inside Lakeside another local web forum. Please know that normally this board is closely moderated. Personal attacks and hijacking of threads is usually not allowed.

Yes... I've come to the conclusion that this board is extremely opinionated and biased. I posted a simple inquiry and received a tirade about sound and noise problems surrounding this restaurant! Per your earlier response to me, I've reported all of this to the owner of the board 'CHAPALA" plus, all of the exchanged statements between these post hijackers. I really thought there was a society of mature and sensible, reasonable people around here, but I guess you'll find this type of response just about anywhere on a public board. Thank you for your suggestions and I appreciate your support...

Mainecoons, if you were following board rules you would have started another thread or sent the OP a private message registering your complaints with him.

I understand this is a very sore issue with you but you would never have allowed anyone else to do what you have done to this thread.

First I have been to La Bodega a few times, but not recently. I have a number of lonely, single women friends who go there regularly because they can dance. And find parking. One says she has noticed the noise level is louder than she remembers it being in the past.

Second, Dee Blues - possibly you could become of the the good guys by playing at less than full blast. The music does sound better, honest.

Third I must admit if I had to listen to the band with the female singer who sings off-key once a week, I'd have done more than complain on a Web Board.

I have actually been here 8 yrs . The reason there are only 5 post is that I don't complain about everything from the beautiful house that a very talented lady designed and built to the very talented musicians we have playing in the bands here..

The word on the street is that because Adelita's is always sold out on Mondays one of the other bands is looking for a place to play Monday's ... Anyone know of a bar that has no music Monday's.. ?

Thank you for your suggestions and I appreciate your support...

Passive aggressive B.S.!

What we have here is nothing to do with NOISE, it is to do with massive egos. The less talent, the more ego. Nothing new there. Sumabit stealing the Alcoholics Anonymous `Serenity`prayer as if it was his own - nothing new there either.

Just follow community standards, as set by the Mexican community, who have to go to work tomorrow and get the kids to school. They are very patient, and will roll their eyes and mutter `pince gringos`, but only for a set period of time, then they will take action. Ruminate on that when the Èl Grito` is raised tonight.

Sumabit stealing the Alcoholics Anonymous `Serenity`prayer as if it was his own - nothing new there either.

The Serenity Prayer is the common name for a prayer authored by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr[1][2] (1892–1971). It has been adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

Can not others adopt it too? I just suggested MC say it and frankly I would claim no prayer as there are no gods to pray to. What's your problem anyway?

I say it every time I read posts from people who don't live here who think they know whats best for those of us that do.

:D

If that poster had a garage band practicing next door six nights out of seven till 2 am, he just might get a clue.

This isn't about Mexico and Mexican customs. :wacko:

Archived