Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Dedicated Drummer & Bass for Established Band

Dee Blues

We are an established band here at lakeside, called the 'Train Wreck', and have a standing gig at the "La Bodega Restaurant and Bar" in Ajijic every Friday night. To date, we have had the fortune of having a great Drummer and Bass player for our performance nights. Althought we would like to retain them as permanent members in our band, they are members other bands that they've originally played in and are devoted to. As the season begins to ramp up, they will become less available to play with us on Friday nights.

If there are any bass players and drummers out there that would like to consider this opportunity, please let me know so that we can establish an audition with you. We play a variety of Blues, Rock, Country and alternative songs. If you have an interest in doing this, please contact Gene at 766-1719.

Thank you for your consideration and time...

Easy to say when you're not an involuntary member of the audience 6 days/nights per week.

Try it some time and see how you like it.

I did the whole time I lived in Mexico, so move if it bothers you because it will not change. I used ear plugs most nights.

I hear that Vilcabamba, Ecuador is a quite town.

The difference between "old fashioned rock and roll" and NOISE POLLUTION is 55 decibels. That is the law Federal, State and Municipal, make sure you monitor it. If people are talking during your set, don't turn it up louder to drown them out. They are not being ignorant, they obviously do not like your music or came to that venue expecting to have a normal conversation at a normal volume level. The other problem with these amateur bar bands is that they play the same sets over, and over, and over. Boring and annoying.

Veni, vidi, huh? The mantra of those wishing to change the country's love of noise. In the US they favor quite, but in Mexico, the people favor noise.

One time I asked a Mexican from the D.F. why doesn't anyone complain. He replied that if he has a quinceanera or party and blocks the street in front of their home with speaker towers, tables, and chairs for four days with the speakers at full volume, that no neighbor complains because if you did it that they would not complain either.

No, I am not in Mexico presently, so I just laugh from afar.

The country's level of noise is to be expected because imported gringo noise by imported gringos?

I guess you scorn those Mexicans who passed a noise control and started enforcing it in some places?

Why don't you just admit that (1) you don't live here and (2) you don't know what you're posting about?

You do have my sympathy for having picked a domicile that required you to wear ear plugs in order to sleep. Unfortunately, that somehow got translated in your mind as a normal condition for this country.

It isn't, and it wasn't in my neighborhood until a "restaurant" decided to turn itself into a noisy gringo nightclub.

As we still live here I can assure you our Mexican friends and neighbors don't regard having to stuff one's ears in order to sleep as a normal or desirable way to live.

3) He is just a bored baiter

People used to smoke too. Some like "Tom's Bar" decided to be the last hold out to allow smoking. Now that bar was fined and is now kaput.

The OP should check out the up to date drum machines and programmable bass synths. Even you iPhone or iPad can be used - much more "dedicated" and reliable than any meat bag human! Under $10 U.S. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rock-drum-machine-2/id725234217?mt=8

It's one thing when a neighbor throws a party for a special event in their lives, hires a loud band and generally rocks the area with loud noise. Even several days of it. Same deal for patriotic holidays downtown: I live near enough to the center of town to get the full benefit of it: I expect it and know it will go away, so no big deal. It's another whole thing when the noise is right across the street and NEVER ENDS. I empathize with Mainecoons on that.

However, the band plays where and when it gets hired. It's tough making a living as a musician and they go along with whatever the person who hires them dictates. The OP is just looking for a drummer........and hopefully, is good enough to feed himself and his family.

I also hope that the authorities finally come down on La Bodega for going over the decibel limits on a regular basis. It is a very residential neighborhood, not in the commercial area at all.

I think complaining about noise in Mexico is a fruitful as complaining about your internet service or TV cable.

Mexicans are pretty tolerant about noise,but I have seen my neighbors in a working class neighborhood in Guadalajara complain and achieve results when it gets over the top.

It's one thing when a neighbor throws a party for a special event in their lives, hires a loud band and generally rocks the area with loud noise. Even several days of it. Same deal for patriotic holidays downtown: I live near enough to the center of town to get the full benefit of it: I expect it and know it will go away, so no big deal. It's another whole thing when the noise is right across the street and NEVER ENDS. I empathize with Mainecoons on that.

However, the band plays where and when it gets hired. It's tough making a living as a musician and they go along with whatever the person who hires them dictates. The OP is just looking for a drummer........and hopefully, is good enough to feed himself and his family.

I also hope that the authorities finally come down on La Bodega for going over the decibel limits on a regular basis. It is a very residential neighborhood, not in the commercial area at all.

I have to agree with gringal on this one. Mainecoons, blaming the musicians is not being fair. They are only doing what they are paid to do. If you really want to solve this problem, get La Bodega shut down!

According to La Bodega, the musicians determine how loud the music is. That may be a cop out, frankly I don't believe it and in any case, the "restaurant" is responsible for being a good neighbor, not the musicians.

There have been discussions among some neighbors and one alleged attempt to sue them without effect. They have also been asked politely to start respecting their neighbors and the fact they are totally surrounded with people's homes by turning it down, without effect.

The musicians and their gringo customers who don't stop to think what it would be like to have this place on their street (and it can happen to any of us) keep this place going. Getting any enforcement of the noise ordinance from this rather useless municipal government is a pipe dream.

The solution here is for the community to recognize a nuisance when they see it and stop supporting it unless they turn it down and start showing some consideration for the neighbors. That appears to be the only way it will go away but we are always looking for a solution.

If any of you can offer some expert advice as to how to put a stop to this we are all ears. Please PM me.

Think about it. Do you know of another alleged restaurant in the area that blares loud music into a formerly quiet wholly residential neighborhood SIX days/nights per week? Do you know of any other restaurant in the area that has almost no business until the noise starts later in the evening or now on Sunday afternoons?

The OP asked us for consideration. Now I'm asking him for same. TURN IT DOWN.

BTW, if any of you doubt just how loud this place is, please PM me and I'll be glad to give you a personal experience from my property.

Don't take my word or that of other posters for it, hearing is believing.

This happened after we bought our home and moved here. First the number of nights just kept expanding and then they got a much bigger and louder sound system. And the number of days/nights expanded to almost the entire week. We get a break from it only on Mondays now.

I think someone who doesn't live here, let alone in Mexico at all is the one who needs to butt out.

Thanks.

This happened after we bought our home and moved here. First the number of nights just kept expanding and then they got a much bigger and louder sound system. And the number of days/nights expanded to almost the entire week. We get a break from it only on Mondays now.

I think someone who doesn't live here, let alone in Mexico at all is the one who needs to butt out.

Thanks.

Any of us could have this kind of thing happen, since the zoning laws and enforcement are a joke. In my case, there is supposed to be a two story height limit in my area.

HAH. The little tienda next door was demolished and turned into a 3 1/2 storey, 10ft. wide monstrosity with a basement, too. There went our air and, our privacy. No interference from the authorities. Yes, it was reported. No, nothing was done about it. Same thing happened on the other side, but to a lesser degree. Only two stories with a rooftop mirador peering into our front yard. What you buy is not necessarily what you get, down the line.

Someone I know found her quietude ended when an iron worker set up shop in his garage next door. I could go on and on. You just never know what's going to happen next door or across the street, or how a restaurant that isn't making it on their food decides to become a night club.

You're just lucky if this sort of thing doesn't happen to you. Of course, moving into a gated community may solve this problem......unless the adjacent property, not ruled by the HOA of the gated community, turns into something noisy, smelly or otherwise ruins your days. One person in a formerly quiet residential area had a neighbor set up a fighting cock dorm. Fun.

Come to think of it, there's a lot to be said for renting. Permanently.

That's why we have to support each other in these matters and not do anything to encourage in someone else's neighborhood that which could then show up in our own.

As Ben Franklin put it:

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

The local expat community keeps this place going and if they stop doing so, the problem will solve itself.

If it is any consolation Gringal, the three story thing seemed to start on my block as well, right across the street. But at least it is quiet. :)

BTW, any of you who are happy with a life style that requires you to stuff your ears closed six days per week, there's a real cheap rental next door to La Bodega. Free (almost) nightly "entertainment" included at no extra charge! :D

That's why we have to support each other in these matters and not do anything to encourage in someone else's neighborhood that which could then show up in our own.

As Ben Franklin put it:

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

The local expat community keeps this place going and if they stop doing so, the problem will solve itself.

If it is any consolation Gringal, the three story thing seemed to start on my block as well, right across the street. But at least it is quiet. :)

BTW, any of you who are happy with a life style that requires you to stuff your ears closed six days per week, there's a real cheap rental next door to La Bodega. Free (almost) nightly "entertainment" included at no extra charge! :D

If the rent is cheap enough.........a really deaf person could love it?

Archived